Bluewater parking ticket

• Yes, it's a bit dubious - contest it

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Yes, it's dubious, but wouldn't bother contesting

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • No, you're so in the wrong - accept it

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Last weekend, I went to Bluewater where the car parks were packed. One in, one out etc. There are well signed areas with road markings (cross hatch and red painted pedestrian zones). Fair enough. However, there are also a couple of areas which are not cross hatched or painted red and are separated from the roadway with a single white line (as the regular bays are).

So I decided their warning sign didn't accurately match the area I parked in. I half expected a ticket, which I got. I took photos and wrote back appealing their decision. They rejected this, pointing me back to their sign. I still don't believe the area I parked in was covered by the warning sign.

What do you think? I fancy being picky with them. :thumb:

Last edited:
Well its not hatched. There is a darned big pillar behind you which would make it not a roadway. And it does not appear to be a pedestrian walkway.

It does not appear to be a marked as a parking bay, too long.

Watch the 14 day rule or you may be forking out 75 not 50.

I think it was worth the challenge but methinks the "fine" will stand.

It is a parking charge notice by the looks of it as opposed to a penalty charge.

Therefore it is a civil contract between driver and the parking charge contractors. Looks to me like you stuck to your side of the contract.

However, Google private parking charge notice and you'll see it is all largely irrelevant.

Seeing as you knowingly parked where you shouldn't having consciously decided to challenge them, you should cough up and be done with it. After all, anyone with any common sense can see it's not a marked parking bay.

Their sign says "This includes areas blah blah" NOT "This ONLY applies to areas blah blah"

On the other hand, it's a parking charge notice issued by a private company. Chuck it in the bin and forget about it including any follow up notices.

About the only thing I wouldn't do is waste any further time on it, disputing it or otherwise. They don't care if you dispute it, I doubt if many here do either and any victory will be irrelevant.

But if you have challenged the notice, you may have snookered yourself. I think that most of the challenges to the Private notices, work on the fact that the contract is with the driver, not the keeper, and the Car Park business has to prove you are the driver, without the registered driver being obliged to tell the who was driving.

If the appeal has confessed to you being the driver, it may be more difficult. THe would still have to prove that you have parked in a prohibited area of course...

Well according to the guys at www.pepipoo.com a "parking ticket" issued other than police or a traffic warden is unenforceable, and you should ignore it and anything else which follow.

If it goes to court (unlikely), the court will decide on the compansation for their financial loss of you parking in that space. Since there are other parking spaces there, the amount they will be rewarded will be £0.

I'm not 100% sure though, best to visit that site and have a look.

Edit: have a look here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

Last edited:
Registered keeper, driver, owner are all totally irrelevant. This company has absolutely no legal recourse with which to pursue a fine irrespective of any notices or anything else. Basically the OP decided to challenge one of the known weakest challenges of all time. A bit like picking a fight with a daffodil. Woohoo look at me, I beat up a flower. This whole thing is ridiculous on too many counts.

Perhaps another option on the poll.

4. Rip the ticket up and throw it in the bin and forget about it.

Dont forget the feedback of how you get on!!

Basically the OP decided to challenge one of the known weakest challenges of all time. A bit like picking a fight with a daffodil. Woohoo look at me, I beat up a flower. This whole thing is ridiculous on too many counts.

Bad day? Headache? Bored?

Bad day? Headache? Bored?

Not as bored as I'd need to be to take pictures and post a pointless poll showing how I'd picked a fight with a non entity :)

No headache and having a great day thanks.

On a serious note, by your own admission you knew you shouldn't park there. The sign is very clear in what it states as I said above. It includes, but is not restricted to (by those very words) those areas identified. That doesn't leave it open to interpretation in any way. Where you parked is clearly not a designated parking bay.

So, understanding this, morally you should cough up. However, it also transpires it's a parking charge notice which renders it irrelevant in any event and so the whole thing is pointless. Any time you spent taking pictures and disputing the fine was a waste of your time.

Like I said... Ridiculous, on so many fronts.

Burger tends not to mince his words (Sorry)

I have a vision of Landburgher Gessler:D:devil: when I see some of his posts. But its all good clean direct fun. The posts he added on the "Europe" prisoners votes thread were bob on.

Ask for an opinion on the forum and some of them come straight from the hip.

Anyone who has no idea who Landburgher Gessler is - He was an arch baddie in a TV seriers many years ago called William Tell. The Landburgher was played by Willoughby Goddard, sort of a Meatloaf lookalike.

None intended but......... Standsby for incoming:eek:

I don't mean to be impolite in any post, but yes, I suppose I do say it how I see it and so if my opinion is at odds with yours it may appear harsh. Isn't that the best way though rather than beating round the bush or expecting people to read between the lines? At least there's no ambiguity :) I'm afraid I also have little patience for lack of common sense - something that's slowly being eroded from society it seems.

As for Landburgher Gessler :) LOL.

Hopefully we'll meet up at some point and you can see how accurate/inaccurate that is :)

Regards,

Is this another of those rhetorical threads? :p

I imagined the thread would split opinion. :D Yes driving a Volvo was clearly asking for trouble, as was taking the gamble parking there anyway... in contrast to my normal application of common sense (see Volvo driving for details).

Maybe a cat poo in a jiffy bag sent to the parking enforcer's address would be a dignified way to end the farce. :devil:

my opinion would be you not it bay there fore incorrectly park so by those standard id say a fine is fair.
as it Says any vehicles NOT parked in a Marked bay will be fined

Remember the notice has been issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle, but that may not be the person who was driving the vehicle.

Ask them for proof of the DRIVER.

Why do people always think they can cheat the system by parking where ever they feel like?
Is it really so difficult to conform to some rules that have some common sense behind them?
There's a car-park near where I live where people decide to park across the exit so they can make a quick getaway - this means that everyone else has to use the entrance to get out of the car park.

I have two words: SELFISH. LAZY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom