BMW Drivers, or Just a Coincidence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

como

SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo XC40
I was walking home from work last night - a new found pleasure having commuted for 10 years. As I was on the pedestrian crossing a BMW 3 series ran the red light, passing the static cars in lane 1 and shot through the junction. I luckily spotted him and stepped back behind the static cars. Not best pleased and with a few choice words muttered, I carried on my way. Further down the road, on the pavement but facing oncoming traffic I noticed that nearly all the cars were moving away from the kerb to avoid a large puddle and the subsequent soaking they would give the pedestrians. Until however, one car moves over into the gutter and sends a wave of water onto the pavement. Had he even held his line, he would have missed the puddle. But no he moved across in what was, for sure, a deliberate act. The car? A BMW 1 series. Well we are nearly home by now and as I wait at the corner to cross the road to my house, a car drives up to the junction - no indicators on. He then turns left and mounts the pavement with his rear nearside wheel. Cutting the corner considerably. I stepped/jumped back to avoid getting my feet re-shaped. The car, another BMW 1 series, carries on regardless.

Now I know that I could substitute BMW for Audi, Merc etc. It does though seem a coincidence that all three incidents were carried out by said marque owners. Within a space of 25 minutes. Do you think that this brand really does attract/engender a certain type of arrogant owner/behaviour? Given that it's not the most popular car on the road, certainly within my location, it cannot be down to sheer numbers lowering the odds either. The reality is it's just random events and coincidence but it did make me think.

Interesting experience trying to get out of Winchfield station of an evening. It’s like a Le Mans running start every time a commuter train arrives. Carnage at the single exit point. And yes, there are certain brands that consistently cause the most fuss. And yet these same drivers, having beeped, and worse at each other every weekday night, sit quietly opposite one another on the train the next morning.

Coincidence, I would think and bad luck.

I walk every day of the week for about six miles and can assure you that I have found no pattern to correlate the make of car to the idiots that are allowed to aim them.

On exiting London Zoo with my (then) two, very young daughters and wife, having just enjoyed a brilliant family day out.... We were alerted by a shout from another pedestrian to a car that was being deliberately driven through some large puddles. Unfortunately for us the shout came too late and we were quiet literally soaked from head to foot... Drenched.

But then the Sun came out in shape of Karma and set of traffic lights that were on Red. The car was immediately surrounded by similar soaking wet pedestrians and the driver was encouraged to discuss his moronic, brain dead actions. Somebody..... It appears got hold of the ignition keys and threw them over the wall back into the Zoo.. Oh No what a naughty, naughty thing to do??

A bit of thought and a some basic courtesy is all that is required to avoid soaking people, most of whom may not be as amused as you are if you are the driver of the car doing the soaking.

It's the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

It's the same thing that makes us all think BMW drivers don't indicate. It's because that's a "known" thing, and so whenever we see a BMW not indicate, we reinforce that belief. When a Merc doesn't indicate, we give it almost no thought, and when a BMW does indicate we equally don't pay much attention.

No coincidence whatsoever in my long experience.
The type of person aspiring to a BMW would not be in my World X1 to play MARS.....unless we were playing away !!

The 1 series driver committed an offence if he splashed someone. It's a fixed penalty fine.

Mrs M drives a 4.8 V8 BMW X5 sport. I rarely argue with her these days. I know I am wrong and always have been wrong. It's just degrees of wrongness that I need to concern myself with. Oh, she does use the indicators, she just removed the bulbs.

The Road Traffic Act of 1988 makes it illegal to drive “without reasonable consideration for other persons”, including driving through puddles causing pedestrians to be “splashed”. Anyone convicted can be fined up to £5000.

Reactions: 219
Old military maxim: Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; three times is enemy action.

Mind you, in the OP's post the "enemy action" quite plainly occurred in the second instance.

I'm a new BMW owner and can say I drive my MB and my BMW in exactly the same way

It's a coincidence a BMW was involved.
I seem to notice most of the aggressive and inconsiderate driving is done by Audi A4 diesel and VW Golf drivers. The BMW drivers in their underpowered cars seem to stay away, the M3 drivers want to race:D

I had a Golf diseasle undertake me on a two lane dual carriageway yesterday doing 70mph ish and pull infront of me causing me to brake fairly hard.
On repassing the Golf a little further on going seperate ways, I noticed the driver was a young girl, early 20's maybe. It takes all sorts.

It's a coincidence a BMW was involved.
I seem to notice most of the aggressive and inconsiderate driving is done by Audi A4 diesel and VW Golf drivers. The BMW drivers in their underpowered cars seem to stay away, the M3 drivers want to race:D

I had a Golf diseasle undertake me on a two lane dual carriageway yesterday doing 70mph ish and pull infront of me causing me to brake fairly hard.
On repassing the Golf a little further on going seperate ways, I noticed the driver was a young girl, early 20's maybe. It takes all sorts.
You mean young woman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom