1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

BMW X6 reviewed on 5th Gear (8pm, 1.9.08)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gucci, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Not the prettiest car in the world...wonder what Tom Ford will make of it?

2. A210AMG

A210AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Hello

Went to the Chatsworth Country show yesterday and sat in a X6 3.5sd. Front nice.

Jumped in back and I could not it in with my head straight?..... leg room ok (I'm 6ft 2)

the way the back slopes down there is just not enough head room. I would think you would have to be well under 6ft to be comfortable.

I would think the X6 will drop like a stone, great engine but not sure what gap it fits? X5 is everything and more, 635d is a proper coupe?

3. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I'd just buy a X5 if I were after a BMW 4x4. I had two of the predecesors and they were good.

In my mind the X6 has none of the attributes of a large 4x4 (space) but all the negatives, iffy handling (don't care what they say a 5 series will be better), woeful economy etc. It also has none of the attributes of a coupe, decent drive + economy.

It single-handedly combines in my mind all the negatives of a coupe, poor space, with all the negatives of a 4x4, but misses the benefits of these two types of vehicle entirely, and costs more than an X5, 3 coupe or 6 coupe to boot.

And people will pay good money for it.

4. gIzzE

gIzzE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350cgi Sport Estate + Range Rover TDV8
    The power/economy of the X6 3.0sd is stunning for a 4x4.

Mate has one, remapped and it is 350bhp and 750nm and still returns 30+ all day long and 38mpg on a run, better than my 2005 535d sport touring, althoguh in 2007 they got a newer engine and better gearbox which helps consumption.

I think it will appeal to loads of people, lots of young people who want a 4x4 but don't want a big breeze block of a car and only have kids in the back, and loads of people my parents age whose kids left years ago.

It handles extremely well, the only 4x4 I have had is the ML320cdi which put me off 4x4's for life if I am honest, but then I only wanted it for the space and didn't need a 4x4 as such. The X6 handles extremely well, I would say it could out pace an E Class estate on the twisties. It is a very impressive car, the only people who would be really put off is those that have a couple of 6ft kids I guess. ;)

5. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    BMW tech is very good, but I've highlighted something of key notice-"good for a 4x4". Thats what it is, not a coupe, not a sports car.

I am suprised it would out handle an E class and in certain situations like sudden swerving it would roll over unlike a saloon car. For this reason alone I'd have a saloon over a 4x4, but I am far from one of these eco geeks that wants to ban them and I couldn't give a toss whether someone wealthier than me gets 8mpg out of it, its a) none of my business b) freedom of choice. Its just not the car I'd choose to spend if I had the money.

In my mind I'd rather have an X5, it is the same car underneath the skin minus some newer computers, a better looking car, and more spacious. If its anything like my old X5 it will be good to drive, (for a 4x4 and indeed by any cars standard). I just can't see why one would choose an X6 over an X5. The X6 is also longer too, with less space inside, I just don't get it.

I

6. miro

miro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 slightly modified

To put that into perspective I rented a BMW 320i Petrol and drove it a good 2000km in 48 hours.

I got 950km out of one tank of petrol and still had enough to go shopping. And it was 60L to fill bone dry.

Overall these new engines are very impressive.

7. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Try a 120d, I know of someone who gets regularly 70mpg out of it. Shame is its on its 2nd Turbo....

8. Dragon

Dragon Banned

It a pig. :D :D :D

9. A210AMG

I agree the engines Bmw have at the moment are very good, even the lower models such at the 120d 320d, 520d etc are a) quick enough b) great mpg.

Still don't like that x6 and see little point in it. If you have kids chances are if you do get to appreciate the way it goes they will be sick...

315 tyres !!! yikes.....

10. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    The engines are good, but the reliability is pretty sh1t. On the 1 series I visited occasionally when my cousin was thinking of a 1er there were heaps of Turbo problems and engine troubles. The same was seen with the 3 litre engine which I know of a few on their 2nd Turbos. And then there were automatic gear box failures, going c.80k mainly to the "sealed for life" approach.

In short, good on paper, could be bad in reality. My petrol manual BM was super, the V8 one had a crappy autobox, and it was in for warranty work @ 16k.

11. OP
    OP
    Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Not on my list for the future

12. A210AMG

When I had my 330ci I was on the BMW forum and your right,

Almost every night there was a turbo on the dervs going pop... not good.

If its £1000 to fix sort of hits the fact your getting more mpg...have to say I enjoyed my car (petrol) but I wouldn't say bmw's are the be all and end all that they would have you believe?

13. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    x2. It really put me off another BMW. The petrol manual ones are still the ones to have, and they are really good, but its a narrow target audience these days. I found the manual in my BM fairly physical, relatively stiff clutch and lever, and Audi now seem to have that licked too. It came out that on 120d's the Turbo boost was running @ 1,5bar. far far too high, and that other "performance diesels" with high boost pressures would suffer the same part.

Earlier (e46) 3 series were effected by a cheap plastic part on the Turbo failing causing complete engine failure. In my mind that is just not good enough. Automatic E46 323i's gearboxes failed, it was a GM box I believe that got began its demise by losing reverse.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  14. crisc204

crisc204 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w208 Coupe,
    apart from myself never owning a bmw that about covers it!

oh imho the last sentence is missing the word silly but i accept its
    'an each to there own' sort of car