Bonnet change w124 1990 model to E220 petrol 1997 square lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragonov

icon4.gif
How easy is it to update a w124, 1989-94 to 1995-96 inset grille model? I want to convert a 200e to an e200

both have similar headlights (square boxy)
icon4.gif

You would need the bonnet, headlights, grill and badge.

Me said:
According to Mercedes Enthusiast in Oct 2002, "The 1993 face-lift was a cheap upgrade for the factory, a fact reflected in the price of the parts when they were new and the popularity of retro-fitting the parts to pre-facelift cars. The changes were obviously designed to cause no disruption to the computer welding machines at Sindelfingen and, as such, all are 'bolt-on'. Even the slam panel under the bonnet is the same and you only need change the bonnet catch bolted to its underside. The headlamp reflectors are identical and, as the glass is a separate part anyway, only this was changed to incorporate a curved chamfer to clear the new bonnet. The slim, body-coloured insert between the headlamp and front bumper was also changed to incorporate a recess to clear the new grille. This is available in two forms, plain and with a hole for the optional head-lamp washers which were standard on UK-spec six-cylinder models."

So there you have it; the headlamps are nearly the same, but not close enough. You'll need new ones, or maybe just lenses if you can find them, and new filler panels for below the lamps. There's no mention of profile (inother words, 'will the bonnet fit against the wings without changing them?') so I would get it's not an issue.

PJ

Wouldn't he need a new boot lid too or, at least, an insert panel to cover the recess?

Yes, the boot 'filler' panel is about £80 plus painting .....

Need new steering wheel too .... and a few other bits if you want to do a complete facelift....

Thanks for the inputs
i have arranged for a bonnet with grill
will have to check for headlights

thanks again

The headlight glasses should be available on their own, we used to buy them in to facelift the pre-facelift Hearses for customers (if that makes any sense) on the 124's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom