Bonnet jammed shut W(C) 124 230CE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6luvva

Car
1991 C124 230CE & 1997 R129 320SL
I recently pulled the bonnet release latch inside me C124, it responded with a 'twang!' and now the release isn't engaging with any cable. I'm guessing the cable is snapped or has become disengaged in some way....
Essentially the bonnet is now stuck shut.
I'd like to get the bonnet open (since I also have a flat battery)
I have tried using a pair of longnose pliers and reached in through the front grille and grabbed the grey plastic 'release tongue/tab'. Pulling that out doesn't seem make any difference either.
Would appreciate any pointers, given that I cannot take the car anywhere since it has a flat battery right now.
Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Not easy.
Under the catch on the slam panel is a little tamper proof security plate.
You may need to cut through the grey plastic part of the grill to get access to butcher the security plate, so that you can release the catch.
The security plate doesn't need replacing, and a replacement plastic inner for the grill is quite cheap so its not a disaster, but it is a pain.

Did you try, with pliers, pulling the inner part of the cable where it attaches to the bonnet pull lever inside the cabin at Red arrow?

pic08.jpg

The release tongue/tab is of no use until you can trip the bonnet latch.

As said above, you will need to cut through the plastic part of the radiator grill, you will need to cut an opening large enough to get your hand in and try to attack the latch from the underside.
You will need to pull the cable or the latch lever at Red arrow in below picture towards the driver side with your finger or a screwdriver. Car in picture is of a left hand drive car.

pic02.jpg

The mechanism you see in the picture may or may not be covered with a plastic shield to prevent tampering in this manner.

You should first investigate if you can access the latch mechanism from under the car before attacking the radiator grill.

Pictures… Mercedes-Benz W124 Hood Release Cable Replacement | 1986-1995 E-Class | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Dec

I have thought about this, and i came up in my mind that it was the only way it could be done Remove the plastic grill its not that expensive to replace .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom