Bonnet Rattling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
The front nearside corner of the bonnet is a bit loose and rattles on start up and I can't see what to tighten to fix it, with the engine running , I can push the front corner down slightly and it stopsrattling when I lift the lid I can't see what needs to be done to make it fit tighter and stop rattling. The offside corner is a much better fit and cannot be moved on pushing down. Any suggestions please?:rolleyes

What's the car? Most bonnets have rubber stops on the external corners and they normally screw in and our for height adjustment. Your's is either out of adjustment or missing at a guess. The stops will be mounted on the inner edge of the wings or on the front landing panel somewhere.

Hi W210, e220 CDI coupe 2014 on the underside of the bonnet are two posts one each side with coil springs around them, these drop into the front panel, but there are no threads or nuts for adjustment, on either side of these is a U bolt with a locking nut screwed to the underside of the bonnet that drop into the catches or locks when the lid is closed, I cant see any means of being able to pull the front nearside down to make a tighter fit. I asked MB to sort it when they did a winter check, when I got the car back they said they'd greased the catches, well, what a waste of time that was, Prats. Any thoughts welcomed, thanks.

Hi W210 , its an E 220 coupe 2014 on each side under the lid are two posts with o coiled spring around that drop into the front panel, there are no threads or nuts on these and seem to be simply spring loaded. On either side of these is a U bolt with a locking nut, these drop into the bonnet catches or locks when the lid is closed,I just need the front nearside to be a tighter fit to stop the vibration, but can't see how to do this. I took it to MB for winter checks and asked them, when I got it back they said they'd greased the catches, complete waste of time. Prats. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

352 members have read this, one reply, amazing. No one has any idea how to rectify the problem, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised Mercedes couldn't do it either. Has nobody else ever had this problem?

Last edited:
I would have gone along with W210Virgin's response.
My CLK has rubber stops on either side that are adjustable by way of winding them up or down a thread.

Not sure if the E-Class's have these though.

On my E Class there are two U shaped brackets on the bonnet with a nut on one side of each. I think it is adjusted on this by tightening the nut and drawing in the "clamp"

Thanks guys, I don't have the rubber stops, just spring loaded posts, but I do have the U bolts that you mention, they do have a nut on one side, I was a bit put off them as its a new car (6 months old) they look like they are sealed in black plastic and didn't want to disturb them, but what you say makes sense , I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again. Peter

peter103 said:
Thanks guys, I don't have the rubber stops, just spring loaded posts, but I do have the U bolts that you mention, they do have a nut on one side, I was a bit put off them as its a new car (6 months old) they look like they are sealed in black plastic and didn't want to disturb them, but what you say makes sense , I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again. Peter

I would get the dealer to look at it if the car is only 6 months old in case there are other issues that are causing the misalignment

Hi guys, the U bolt theory did the trick, no more rattle, took a bit of trial and error, and quite a bit of closing and opening, but got there in the end. Thanks.:bannana:

Hi guys, the U bolt theory did the trick, no more rattle, took a bit of trial and error, and quite a bit of closing and opening, but got there in the end. Thanks.:bannana:

Your welcome! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom