Bonnet Release Cable(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

Readers will know about my recent disaster with the bonnet release on my C55 Wagon!

Can somebody advise please?

The car is a 2004 W203 C55 AMG Wagon

I want top replace all of the cables and associated bits, from both catches back too and including, the (in car) release lever.

I need the part numbers for:

* All Cables (I think there are 3) I may have dreamed this. There is 1 from the lever to the splitter, then 1 to each catch.

* All cable casings & ferrules
(the ferrules are vital) and I do not know if they come with the cables or not. I have one missing completely.

* The red release lever

* Any clips/runners that you can see
(I do not think that there are any)

Can anybody tell me, if the bonnet release is an MOT failure. If it is not operating from the lever? I have rigged mine to operate from some tie wraps (classy) through the grille, until I can replace the cables. I have an MOT booked and I need the car on the road. I suspect that the cables may be delivered "after" my MOT date, or the day that I need the car.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Does anybody have diagram that they could kindly post, showing the layout/fitment of the cables?

Many thanks

Bruce

Thank you that is great. I have just had a look and it is not immediately obvious where I should be searching. I will have a play though. A very useful site.

Thank you that is great. I have just had a look and it is not immediately obvious where I should be searching. I will have a play though. A very useful site.

I dont think everything is on there, but it does take time to find what your looking for.

Found this image Bruce on another Mb site

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/263077-hood-vent-part-number-please.html

Also Febi do the Interior release Handel, Part number 26211 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...ei=QrHzWM6lF8iqadaCp4gI#imgrc=SUS2MGgHVYjD-M:

Last edited:
You weren’t dreaming, you seen the cables in the picture below.

Dec

9te1he.png

Well, yesterday I fitted the cables.

It is vital to the reader, to understand that the cables are woven from the finest pubic hairs of young virginal girls, living high in the mountain peaks, in villages only seen by a few and never visited by the general public. This justifies the cost that MB put on what, the layman mistakenly thinks, looks like a couple of bicycle brake cables.

The fitting was reasonably straight forward, albeit a bit tight as it routes around the front SAM. But once installed and, not being silly, I went for a test fire. Leaving my emergency tie wrap release mech' in place. I dropped the bonnet - It didn't latch - Opposite to to the initial problem!!

I now see that the drivers side catch, is not closing correctly as the cable is very slightly tensioned - 20 minutes re-routing the cables and ensuring no hang-ups or snagging points. BOOM - same issue.

When I undo the main release cable from the red lever = BINGO everything works perfectly. I am now sure that the red release lever is/was damaged when I was attempting (using my Herculean strength and stamina that I normally reserve for the bedroom) to get the bonnet to lift, when it first failed. I am assuming this, as I notice that with or, without the cable attached, the lever does not sit properly in its home position (its bent).

I have now ordered a new release lever.

I must just say, what Joy this episode has brought to us as a family.

* My wife and daughters have learned an entire new language as I struggled to get this to work.

* I have shown that human hands can function without the need for their usual covering of skin.

* Small strands of invisible cable wires are really, really funny things to have under your finger nails. Oh how they make you you giggle and chuckle.

* Lying upside down with your feet above your head and your head wedged in the pedal box, for extended periods of time, does indeed induce a feeling of dizziness and peace.

* Helpful comments from your neighbour like "got it working yet" should not receive the response = F*CK OFF. He means no harm and is now not talking at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom