Booked the car in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth

Car
MX-5 Recaro
Just booked the car in to have some things sorted:

Rear light pod, ambient light level buttons do sweet FA.
Passenger side mirror doesn't auto-dim
Mirrors VERY noisy when folding (I know not necessarily a fault but they may do something useful with them)
End-of-warranty health check

Hoping they manage to sort it out (MB Ascot)

I don't think passenger door mirrors auto-dim?

I thought I saw a thread on here about owners complaining about it?

Mine doesn't dim, never has.

Another member bought a auto-dim mirror for a left hand drive and fitted it to make both mirrors dim.

Mine doesn't dim, never has.

Another member bought a auto-dim mirror for a left hand drive and fitted it to make both mirrors dim.

Would this not have needed additional wiring though?

I thought the mirror housing on far side had two cables (or 4-pin plug) and near side had one cable (or 2-pin plug)?

Just booked the car in to have some things sorted:

Rear light pod, ambient light level buttons do sweet FA.
Passenger side mirror doesn't auto-dim
Mirrors VERY noisy when folding (I know not necessarily a fault but they may do something useful with them)
End-of-warranty health check

Hoping they manage to sort it out (MB Ascot)

Does your passenger side mirror glass have a black rubber surround like the driver's side does?
If not, it wont dim.

Would this not have needed additional wiring though?

I thought the mirror housing on far side had two cables (or 4-pin plug) and near side had one cable (or 2-pin plug)?

Yes, it did :)

You post has just confirmed that the passenger side shouldn't dim anyway??

Is there a manufacturer that does install a dimming mirror on the passenger side?

I can't see that you'd need it really, as any incident light from behind you is not reflected into your peripheral vision by the passenger glass. (It is by the RVM and driver's door glass though, hence the reason they are designed to dim).

Is there a manufacturer that does install a dimming mirror on the passenger side?

I can't see that you'd need it really, as any incident light from behind you is not reflected into your peripheral vision by the passenger glass. (It is by the RVM and driver's door glass though, hence the reason they are designed to dim).

Thats correct. The passenger side mirror is not suppose to dim.

When you say the mirrors are noisy when they fold, what sort of a noise is it? If its a 'squashing rubber' type noise, that's normal.

When you say the mirrors are noisy when they fold, what sort of a noise is it? If its a 'squashing rubber' type noise, that's normal.

Easily cured with a little spray of PTFE dry powder lube :)

Doesn't attract dirt and wont wash off easily, I use it on my door mirrors

yes it is, its VERY creeky, I know it may be a common/normal problem but on a Mercedes you shouldn't have to live with it (one under warranty anyway) so hopefully they'll do something with it.

polytetrafluoroethylene :D

The stuff I use is from my mountain biking days, used as a dry lube for bike chains.

Spray it carefully on the rubber edges and wipe off any overspray. It wont harm the paintwork but looks unsightly!

My dealer also lubes and fettles the door mirrors at each service since I complained of the sqeaking on folding...

they lubed the mirrors, the interior light is working now and the mirror isn't at fault. I got them to fit a new set of wipers (SO much better now) and I need a new set of tyres on the back and tracking done (circa £500) ouch. Good news is they found nothing else wrong with the car and the brakes are in very good condition.

Gareth,

I just had my CLK laserline tracked which cost me £42 and a new set of mid range Falken rubber 245/40/18 and 265/35/18 for £342 all in.... so £500 is a bit steep I think... unless your fitting premium rubber or getting the stealer to do it.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom