Boost leak or more to it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisA

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL 63 Biturbo 2014 - S63L 2010 - CLS Weistec MSL Monster (RIP)
January's dyno showing about 30bhp short but torque is good

20140425_105226_resized.jpg

Last weeks dyno run, big bhp drop but still good torque figure

photo.jpg

Boost leak or more?:confused:

Can you not get a pressure test carried out to confirm if it is a boost leak??

I was shocked at the Dyno graph last week as the curve looks like it was climbing nicely.

Just a thought Chris, but do you have any fault codes come up with diagnostics, or not tried?

I'm assuming the 2nd graph is showing fly wheel power and not atw?

Problem RR can all read differently no one reads the same, car could be strapped down incorrectly, dyno in wrong mode etc. I have a DD rr round my way that constantly reads 30bhp less than another 20 Miles in a different direction. Most important question is, how does the car feel? If you where losing a genuine 100bhp you would sure as hell notice it....

Last edited:
Thing is Ant, from that second graph Chris is losing closer to 200bhp than 100 from where it should be up around the 640 mark even the first graph is too low for Chris's 'Beast' :D, you're right in what you say every set of rollers reads differently but not buy nowhere near that much.

Last edited:
Thing is Ant, from that second graph Chris is losing closer to 200bhp than 100 from where it should be up around the 640 mark even the first graph is too low for Chris's 'Beast', you're right in what you say every set of rollers reads differently but not buy nowhere near that much.

Can't read the graphs correctly due to using my crappy iphone!!! I have used one dyno that under read by big hp before, my last 600bhp evo ran consistently around 600bhp and than used a dyno in Devon and ran 400bhp.

If Chris is missing 200bhp from Jan I would be very surprised if Chris has not noticed the power loss, I would notice 50bhp let alone 200bhp.

Chris do you have any data logging tools, I use a cheap ELM in the OBD2 port and use Torque app for android, if you can record boost at all engine loads i.e. the transition to SC engage and up through the power band and back that would tell you what the boost levels are.

I am also assuming that Chris has a actual dyno result proving the original BHP after the build? Can you not connect a vac pipe to the dyno like on turbo'd car to record peak boost?

Last edited:
Can't read the graphs correctly due to using my crappy iphone!!! I have used one dyno that under read by big hp before, my last 600bhp evo ran consistently around 600bhp and than used a dyno in Devon and ran 400bhp.

If Chris is missing 200bhp from Jan I would be very surprised if Chris has not noticed the power loss, I would notice 50bhp let alone 200bhp.

I'll stand corrected then Ant, I didn't think any form of rolling road could be that far away from another without operator error.

200bhp is a huge variation even on a non calibrated roller, I would've expected it to be closer.

Last edited:
Gents, the first dyno graph is after the mods and is reading approx 35bhp low so not too bad as that is a good curve
The second graph is from last week. The car is running consistently at 650lb torque so pulls like a train.
I haven't or didn't notice much power loss but due to having Winter tyres on, couldn't put down the power. Last week was the first time I've had Summer tyres on and my airmatic bag blew so waiting for that to be fixed.

Then it's off to John @ BFT (Courtesy of Paul EC UK) for some data logging to see what sort of issues there are.

Hopefully not too serious so will see.

I have data logging Apps and an OBD reader but car is in the local garage so no access

Will keep updating

Thanks for the response guys :)

Chris, my own latest Dyno run afew weeks back, looks virtually identical to your initial chart,
Most of my charts are running about the same, give or take 40 BHP, but one at west tunning I had done, was mega low, 350BHP wise, pulley belt was slipping, they fixed that and remapped and on their dyno got to 611, however, looking at your later chart against the west tuning one I had problems with, your lines look totally different, be good to know whats caused this poor result when you get to the bottom of it, poor dyno, or a failure of some nature, hope not, albeit think none of us are holding our breath with dynos, just a guide really, but would seem something amiss with that later one you posted up. Best of luck with it all.:thumb:

Last edited:
Chris, my own latest Dyno run afew weeks back, looks virtually identical to your initial chart,
Most of my charts are running about the same, give or take 40 BHP, but one at west tunning I had done, was mega low, 350BHP wise, pulley belt was slipping, they fixed that and remapped and on their dyno got to 611, however, looking at your later chart against the west tuning one I had problems with, your lines look totally different, be good to know whats caused this poor result when you get to the bottom of it, poor dyno, or a failure of some nature, hope not, albeit think none of us are holding our breath with dynos, just a guide really, but would seem something amiss with that later one you posted up. Best of luck with it all.:thumb:

Nice one Ricky

The Dyno was running fine as Lee was on before me and hit over 625bhp

Will check Pulley as it has been on/off/on/off a few times so will have a look

Hi Jules, hope you're keeping well mate

Went down to MSL earlier today as there was a rattling inside one of the 200 cell sports cats. After Imran had cut them out, we could see that they were both totally destroyed inside :dk:

attachment.php

Not too clever after only 3000miles :crazy:

Luckily they are under warranty and so EC UK will speak with their fabrication Company for an explanation and what they intend to do in the future with these Cats

Many thanks to MSL for helping me out lastminute.com!

Strange that it was both, either bad batch or just plain old Chris luck :doh:

Power seems to be where it should be now and it sounds fantastic :cool:

Those with these 200 cell sports cats might want to do some checking with a small tap along the cells to hear for any small rattles.

Very pleased with today's productivity :thumb:

Attachments

• 20140430_180851.jpg
    20140430_180851.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 80
Hi Jules, hope you're keeping well mate

Went down to MSL earlier today as there was a rattling inside one of the 200 cell sports cats. After Imran had cut them out, we could see that they were both totally destroyed inside :dk:

attachment.php

Not too clever after only 3000miles :crazy:

Luckily they are under warranty and so EC UK will speak with their fabrication Company for an explanation and what they intend to do in the future with these Cats

Many thanks to MSL for helping me out lastminute.com!

Strange that it was both, either bad batch or just plain old Chris luck :doh:

Power seems to be where it should be now and it sounds fantastic :cool:

Those with these 200 cell sports cats might want to do some checking with a small tap along the cells to hear for any small rattles.

Very pleased with today's productivity :thumb:
All good thanks Chris, not been around for a while but see you've had a trouble free few weeks up to this point.

My guess is it is linked to the Oxygen sensor issues you had not so long ago, that coupled with excess fuel / air mixture won't have helped? Did you get an AFR trace to see if the current map is rich? Looks like excess fuel has burnt off melting the internals causing them to disintegrate. Dangerous stuff as you will have been running your car with your Cats glowing bright orange without you knowing......:eek:

Jules.

I never had chance to get AFR readings but will set up my torque app and see over the coming days.
Last dyno run at EC UK the AFR was perfect so a little worrying that it is now running rich although Paul did remote map the car last month, maybe that map is not right for my car.

Will do some checks with John (BFT) on Friday and update

Trouble free few weeks? Not quite..... near side airmatic bag blew (Second time) and injector issues again! :(
New injector and harness fitted and seems to be ding dang doo :)

Nothing to worry about now as there are no more Cats left and I really dislike cats :bannana:

Last edited:
Great day up at BFT - John's place (Big Fish Tuning) data logging. Very well clued up guy and a perfectionist with pride in what he does.

Summary of results:
A few Cylinders knocking :(
Injector 1 fault (never ending after 3 injector changes and harness renewed)
Running rich (Fuel dripping out of exhaust!) AFR around the 11.3 mark
IAT at 70deg centigrade at full power run

Good news is the split cooling works wonders. Took 20 seconds to recover from 70deg to 37deg :)

Will wait for Jerry to visit MSL on the 18th May and let him sort this out

Thanks Chris, great to meet you and appreciate your comments. Lovely motor!

Between the my SL55 and your CLS55 we made some noise yesterday....!

Call you later buddy.

Excellent Day at MSL and very productive weekend with Acid and Saleem going out of their way to have my car dyno'd 4 times yesterday in preparation for Jerry's arrival this morning.

What was found? The Bosch 10 pump was causing major issues due to me having the Weistec Trunk Tank which has an in built Rule 2000 pump. The Rule flows at 7500ltr/hr whereas the Bosch 10 approx a third of that causing a sort of bottleneck which in turn caused IAT temps to soar.

Acid bypassed the Bosch 10 and everything flowing well

Jerry arrived, dyno'd car.......flashed old file............worked his magic and then dyno'd again producing the best results to date.

My best run was 620bhp but the torque was at an impressive 690lb/ft

So many people have said forget the figures, it's how the car drives which matters but it is important to have a good idea after spending ££££'s to arrive at a certain Stage.

Once the map embeds itself I should be looking at around the 635bhp area :)

Very Happy and very impressed with Jerry's knowledge, diagnosis and kind words afterwards

Paul carried out another TCU tune as the gears would be a little hesitant during changes but now running excellent.

Thanks Acid, Sareen and MSL Crew for the encouragement and support, Jimmy for being my shoulder this weekend, Imran for being Imran and all the rest of the Forum Members, Donshl, The Don, Ash63, Alex and John (Developer) for their opinions and advice at MSL

Fingers crossed that's the end of this long saga ;)

ChrisA said:
Excellent Day at MSL and very productive weekend with Acid and Saleem going out of their way to have my car dyno'd 4 times yesterday in preparation for Jerry's arrival this morning. What was found? The Bosch 10 pump was causing major issues due to me having the Weistec Trunk Tank which has an in built Rule 2000 pump. The Rule flows at 7500ltr/hr whereas the Bosch 10 approx a third of that causing a sort of bottleneck which in turn caused IAT temps to soar. Acid bypassed the Bosch 10 and everything flowing well Jerry arrived, dyno'd car.......flashed old file............worked his magic and then dyno'd again producing the best results to date. My best run was 620bhp but the torque was at an impressive 690lb/ft So many people have said forget the figures, it's how the car drives which matters but it is important to have a good idea after spending ££££'s to arrive at a certain Stage. Once the map embeds itself I should be looking at around the 635bhp area :) Very Happy and very impressed with Jerry's knowledge, diagnosis and kind words afterwards Paul carried out another TCU tune as the gears would be a little hesitant during changes but now running excellent. Thanks Acid, Sareen and MSL Crew for the encouragement and support, Jimmy for being my shoulder this weekend, Imran for being Imran and all the rest of the Forum Members, Donshl, The Don, Ash63, Alex and John (Developer) for their opinions and advice at MSL Fingers crossed that's the end of this long saga ;)

Really pleased for you Chris its been a hard slog but a great result in the end. Enjoy..

Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom