Bought Alloys from Ebay and they have lots of corrosion at hub face. Are they safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi

Just collected 4 original MB W211 alloys taken off 2005 Elegance 320CDI.

The alloys generally in good condition but on arrival home I noted that two of them have quite a lot (probably up to 1mm) corrosion on the hub facing. The guy is also selling the car from which they came and he said it is a flood Cat D write off. He said that a woman owner drove through water and it stalled due to water being sucked in through air inlet....

Also bolts are 25mm rather then 40mm like on my W210 - so the bolt seats in the alloy are not several centimeters thick like in W210. If they were 40mm then a millmeter or even two of corrosion would not concrn me that much.

I attach pictures taken with mobile. Charging camera battery to take proper pictures.

I quick search showed that this is quite a common problem and people just remove them apply copper greae and put them back... But at what point corrosion-wise do they become unsafe?

Attachments

• IMG0160A.jpg
    IMG0160A.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG0159A.jpg
    IMG0159A.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 72
i wouldnt worry pal alloys are tough really when you consider the weight which is bolted to them.although if you are worried maybe get them checked by a wheel refurb guy for peace of mind

that looks like rust wear marks from the hub, nothing to worry about, give them a rub with glass paper to take away the rough bits.

that looks like rust wear marks from the hub, nothing to worry about, give them a rub with glass paper to take away the rough bits.

On the hub-face (the part that attaches to the car) there are two types of holes. The smaller ones are the ones through which bolts come out.

The bigger ones are not bolt holes. They are either for ventilation or just to save on alloy metal. They lead to the small holes on the face of the wheel.

Attaching updated pictures - taken with more proper camera then mobile phone. The whole reason for puchase is safety - to put winter tyres on - so would not want to make my car less safe by using thse if there is a valid cause for concern!

Attachments

• P1010024b.jpg
    P1010024b.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010025b.jpg
    P1010025b.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 25
I'd give the face a stiff wire brushing and re check the wheel bolt torque after a day or so after fitting.

On the hub-face (the part that attaches to the car) there are two types of holes. The smaller ones are the ones through which bolts come out.

The bigger ones are not bolt holes. They are either for ventilation or just to save on alloy metal. They lead to the small holes on the face of the wheel.

The small holes are for using wheel alignment equipment so it measures off the hub, not the edge of the wheel.

Many older alloys look like this. I would clean them up with wire wool/brush and once they are clean inspect for any small cracks, but i doubt you'll find anything.

Correct the bigger ones are not the bolt hole.

They are for wheel alignment, MB don't check the wheel alignment as such they check the hub alignment via rods that protrude through the holes and touch the hubs.

Oh and your wheels are fine, a light sanding of the mating face and some copper grease is all that's required.

1mm of corrosion. Really?

One of the flakes I got off it was up to about 1mm thick. Well probably 0.75mm. But then I suppose it might be also brake dust etc compacting there not just corrosion of the alloy wheel...

But based on the advice I am now much more comfortable about using them - but will also ask tyre fitters to look at them...

This ebay option is rather attractive though - it is not often you find the more desirable W211 Avantgarde alloys on Ebay and the tyres are 7.5-8 mm and the seller can send for 35 pounds.... Mercedes Winter Wheels Freshly Refurbished - Avon Tyres | eBay So might go for them...

One of the flakes I got off it was up to about 1mm thick. Well probably 0.75mm. But then I suppose it might be also brake dust etc compacting there not just corrosion of the alloy wheel...

All metal corrosion is thicker than the metal itself, due to being an oxide. In a number of cases the oxide is up to 12 times the thickness of the metal it has sacrificed. Steel is an example of this.

Unlike steel, aluminium oxide is a healing skin which stops further corrosion below it, so unlike steel there won't be deeper corrosion under the surface.

I would give the wheel face a brush with a wire brush, a bit of grease to protect it and fit and forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom