Braided lines on an E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
Guys, in the past I have always changed the rubber brake lines for braided lines on the C32 and both my C55.

I now have an E55 and need to replace the front metal pipes so thought I'd do the lines at the same time. The question is 'is it worth in on the E55?' mainly because of the assisted brakes.

Also if it's a good think whats the favoured lines, Used HEL before.

Cheers

Nick

Hi

I want to fit braided steel to me C55 but I hear it can cause insurance 'problems' as its seen as a modification to a safety system (brakes).

What has been your experience with your insurers ?

Cheers

I've been told that stainless lines on an E55 are pretty pointless due to the way the SBC works.

My insurer said they would refuse cover if I fitted braided brake hoses on my S203, same response when I enquired with regard to my CLS55

never had an issue but the difference was amazing

I've had Goodridge on my cars, including the E55.

My insurer said they would refuse cover if I fitted braided brake hoses on my S203, same response when I enquired with regard to my CLS55

Conversely my premium went down when I fitted them on the Nissan because it's an improvement to the braking system.

I wouldn't have thought it mattered what type of braking system you've got; braided lines don't bulge like rubber can if it gets too hot or old. - Having said that, there's probably no benefit over new rubber lines if the braking system is never stressed.

Conversely my premium went down when I fitted them on the Nissan because it's an improvement to the braking system.

I wouldn't have thought it mattered what type of braking system you've got; braided lines don't bulge like rubber can if it gets too hot or old. - Having said that, there's probably no benefit over new rubber lines if the braking system is never stressed.
Good to hear your premiums went down, your insurers obviously know that braided steel is an improvement (in most cases) . But others on here say they couldn't get insured !?

I first used them on motorcycles where the improvement is astounding , mainly because of the long (multiple rubber) hoses on the front of the bike.

Anyone done any hose updates on the W211 E55 that they would care to mention?

I'm of a mind to change the hoses on the E55 but would likely just use Brembo/TRW OEM equivalent rubber ones.

Anyone?

I'm leaning towards (well I've ordered) Brembo.

No experience using them personally but they do look nice:D
My local branch of ECP stock the Goodridge ones that look tempting.

I had Mercedes supply and fit Oe Hoses

No experience using them personally but they do look nice:D
My local branch of ECP stock the Goodridge ones that look tempting.

Given that Goodridge list their approvals I'd think these would be ok to use, they do look nice.

£96 for Merc OEM
£60 for Brembo
£73 for the Goodridge stainless steel ones.

Mmm think I've changed my mind now and will order the Goodridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom