Brake fluid change on CLk w208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tacho d

Car
Mercedes Benz W209 CLK 220 CDI
Hi everyone, considering changing the brake fluid as I just got the car and dont know when it was last done. Thinking of using a synthetic fluid such as Castrol Response and one of those bleeding kits that pressurises the reservoir with a spare tyre. I heard somewhere that the engine needs to be running at the time, dont know if this is true. What would be the wheel sequence? Any advice ?:confused:

Mixing brake fluids is not always recommended, look in your handbook for compatible types. If you are unsure of how to do it just get a local garage to do it , by the time you buy the bleeding kit and get yourself dirty it is hardly worth doing it yourself. :)

Recently had mine done at Mercedes of Coventry for £80 with my service on my W211

Just replace the fluid with standard stuff from a fresh bottle that has rested for 24 hours, do not mix fluid types. To change to a different fluid you would have to completely flush possibly replace every seal in the system first.
The order in which you do it is not really important as you are not bleeding the system but just pumping out the old fluid though you will have to ensure that air is not introduced to the system. Just release a bleed nipple and pump the fluid into a jar closing the nipple on every pedal release till the level of fluid is above the end of your bleed hose, then you can pump the pedal until nearly all the fluid is gone from the reservoir, then top up and continue to pump till the fluid going into the jar is clear, then just repeat for each wheel, till clean fluid is seen making sure the level of the fluid in the reservoir is maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom