brakes noise when changing gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2nG

Car
W209
Well, I supose it comes from the brakes. When I change from D or R to N, or vice versa, it sounds like some kind of "tension noise" coming from the brakes, very similar to the noise it makes sometimes when braking and starting at very low speeds (when driving on traffic jams, for example). Does it happen to you too?

Suspension noise possibly. Like a creaking noise?

Does the noise change if you have the handbrake ok?g does the noise change or dissappear if put your foot on the foot brake harder?
My 43 is creaking a bit when I put it in gear but that i believe is being caused by my front rear subframe bushes which Olly is doing later this week for me.

Well, I supose it comes from the brakes. When I change from D or R to N, or vice versa, it sounds like some kind of "tension noise" coming from the brakes, very similar to the noise it makes sometimes when braking and starting at very low speeds (when driving on traffic jams, for example). Does it happen to you too?

oh my god I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE

Anyone got any ideas ?

Pads moving around in the caliper is sometimes the cause.

Assuming you are going from D to N to R when stationary, can we assume the handbrake is on? Try it with your foot on the brake, could be the handbrake slipping a tad.

I don't believe you can do that on the handbrake, the shift interlock would prevent it. You'd have to have the footbrake applied.

I don't believe you can do that on the handbrake, the shift interlock would prevent it. You'd have to have the footbrake applied.
Correct foot brake is applied

Assuming you are going from D to N to R when stationary, can we assume the handbrake is on? Try it with your foot on the brake, could be the handbrake slipping a tad.

Footbrake always applied ;)

From P to D or R yes, but from N to D or R I do not need to apply the footbrake on my W245 and I am sure my previous MB's were the same

Going into neutral from either drive direction is fine. Some interlocks will allow reverse to drive but almost none will permit drive to reverse (because it's bloody dangerous!)

Its just what the car does. When it goes from stationary to either D or R it will try and start moving straight away, at which point the brakes are stopping it from doing so.

Its just what the car does. When it goes from stationary to either D or R it will try and start moving straight away, at which point the brakes are stopping it from doing so.
So why the brake noise then? If the brakes are applied, the car should remain firmly stationary until the brake pedal is released - no?

The suspension on both my old W203 and mu current W204 is sometimes creaking - sounds like tension noise - when doing parking manoeuvres or when driving off.

I am led to believe it's a 'characteristic' of the car.

Possibly the result of dry suspension and could be fixed by lubricating the right bits - I do not know.

Can’t be bothered into full detail. It’s the tension that comes from the torque being applied when the car is put into D, R and whatever else. It’s the inertia trying to move the car while the brakes are applied.

Whatever noise it is, brake, suspension or whatnot else, it is that it is. My 2011 car does the same, and guess what? My 2007 CLS did as well. Transition is much smoother once everything is warmed up, but that is to be expected as well.

If you don’t like it, then all I can suggest is sell the car and get a manual.

Can’t be bothered into full detail. It’s the tension that comes from the torque being applied when the car is put into D, R and whatever else. It’s the inertia trying to move the car while the brakes are applied.

Whatever noise it is, brake, suspension or whatnot else, it is that it is. My 2011 car does the same, and guess what? My 2007 CLS did as well. Transition is much smoother once everything is warmed up, but that is to be expected as well.

If you don’t like it, then all I can suggest is sell the car and get a manual.

Hmm if this was the case it would have happened since I got the car but it's only started happening suddenly... I can assure you it's not a characteristic of the car

Hmm if this was the case it would have happened since I got the car but it's only started happening suddenly... I can assure you it's not a characteristic of the car

Can’t help you then. I don’t worry about things like that anyway. Been through enough changes of direction travel on the box to think that if it something to worry about, it would have happened by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom