Breakdown Cover.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

I have just been quoted £199.60 to re-join the AA, i am insured with LV car insurance. I have looked at the LV breakdown cover and the same cover is £93.00, it seems a no brainer to me, but has any one had any experience with LV breakdown cover? And who is likely to turn up.

Many thanks.

I don't have breakdown cover via LV, but via Norton, and before that through a couple of other smaller firms. They normally subcontract to a firm that parcels out the work to local independent breakdown firms. Generally I've found they are good at arriving within the time designated, but typically lack the ability to get a car going by the side of the road.

I have just been quoted £199.60 to re-join the AA, i am insured with LV car insurance. I have looked at the LV breakdown cover and the same cover is £93.00, it seems a no brainer to me, but has any one had any experience with LV breakdown cover? And who is likely to turn up.

Many thanks.

£199.60 is ridiculous.

I pay RAC £86.71 after discounts for me and MrsB in any car (driver or passenger) in the UK only.
I pay Driver Guardian £71.10 for pan european cover for the SL so there is some overlap on the SL (UK cover) but I have nonetheless found this to be the cost effective solution. Driver Guardian allow switching between vehicles for a finite number of times during the term which I took advantage of when my Volvo went to the Alps for a skiing trip last winter.

Mic

Give them a call they will normally match a lower quote from elsewhere.

Also check exactly what cover your getting
Is it like for like.

Every year I get a high renewal from the AA, due to their 'introductory offer' being applied in year one. I let it lapse and get a new policy via Quidco or TCB getting me another £50-£70 off their 'introductory price'

Win win

I just swap between RAC and AA each year to get the new customer offer and use quidco also.

I have been with the RAC for a lot of years, each year they quote something ridiculously high, i call them with the best AA quote i can get and they go under it. They are hoping to catch DD customers not really checking the quote.

Hi

Up until recently, I had LV breakdown cover, provided by Britannia Rescue (I am also a member of the CSMA -Civil Service Motoring Association - now called Boundless). I only used them a couple of times, but I seem to remember they used a local (East Kent) company Eclipse, who were quick and efficiant.

The cover, had I renewed in May, would have been £60 for thier Comprehensive Cover (Roadside, Relay, Homestart) for 1 car.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Phil

Before buying my C350 brand new in 2012 and getting MB Roadside Assistance free with services, I had LV or its predecessors' breakdown cover (through CSMA as above) for what seems like forever. Fortunately I only needed them twice but they were excellent. As said before, they appear to have arrangements with a range of local companies throughout the UK so that coverage is good. I suspect those companies want to keep what must be good contracts so they do a good job.

I've been with the AA for 30+yrs and have never paid the renewal quote. Always ring up and say too expensive, I'm leaving and they simple drop to what seems a very reasonable cost, below anything online anyway.

Just got off the phone today to suspend my membership for 3yrs as I get free cover from Lexus, via the AA!! :)

Well last year I had AA at £39 for breakdown cover UK,this year they wanted £57 this normally prompts me to change to RAC but a phone call to AA had them reduce the price to £40.50p for the next two years,

I found MB Roadside Assistance is excellent.
Granted, I only had to use them once, but the chap couldn't be more helpful.
I have no plans to switch back to AA.

When next up get a quote from a/flux...flux rescue service seems hard to beat, £55 including European cover, i had it years ago and called them out a few times, local companies always efficient and timely:thumb:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/

Last edited:
Just had my renewal from the RAC £112 for breakdown and recovery, Said on the phone that was too much so agreed to £82 much more acceptable, particularly since the last time I called them out was 1968!

I insure the C220 with Saga, switched to their breakdown cover a couple of years ago when my AA renewal was ridiculous - they would not go below about £170 for home start, roadside and relay, got the same from Saga for under £100. Amusing part is that, although the phone number I have is Saga breakdown, apparently it's the AA that actually come to you! Not a major surprise, as the same company owns Saga and the AA - and the windscreen cover on my insurance uses AA Windscreens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom