breakdown recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

My mb E270 cdi is out of warranty, and mb mobil does not cover comprehensive recovery (accident). i would like to take up another breakdown service, where me and my wife are both covered, where i also have another car which can be covered as well. any suggestions plz??:confused:

P.S. its an automatic.

Thanks,

Digi

Last edited:
Not 100% sure, but I think Mobilo does offer full cover for 30 years - I have always found it a very comprehensive service. Depends on full MBSH of course.

Sure to be someone on here who knows more about it than I

digisatman said:
My mb E270 cdi is out of warranty, and mb mobil does not cover comprehensive recovery (accident). i would like to take up another breakdown service,
Be careful there - I don't think any of the breakdown services will do recovery after an accident (unless you pay for it at cost). They generally stopped doing it when insurance companies started offering breakdown cover.

Your insurance company should recover the car after an accident, although getting the passengers home does seem to be a bit of a grey area.

Rory said:
Be careful there - I don't think any of the breakdown services will do recovery after an accident (unless you pay for it at cost). They generally stopped doing it when insurance companies started offering breakdown cover.

Your insurance company should recover the car after an accident, although getting the passengers home does seem to be a bit of a grey area.

Wow! Didn't know that! Better check the Mobilo policy and supplement it as neccesary

Glad I saw this thread now - bet there are a few people who didn't know that little gem. Thanks!

I'm not 100% certain on this I've recently retired from working with the AA but I think you'll now find that most of the recovery companies try to pass the recovery costs to your car insurers as the last poster said so check carefully before you move on this:crazy:

Gollom said:
Wow! Didn't know that! Better check the Mobilo policy and supplement it as neccesary

Glad I saw this thread now - bet there are a few people who didn't know that little gem. Thanks!
:) :) To quote a good friend,
Good friend said:
Got my thick head on tonight - think I understand the first paragraph but the second has me stumped
smile.gif
confused.gif
redface.gif
!
The way I interpret this is; if you have Mobilio, then that will cover you for breakdowns?

If you have fully comprehensive insurance then if your car is involved in an accident you 'should'** be entitled to a courtesy car when your own vehicle goes in for repair.

**Check with your insurance provider

I am baffled by the question posed by the author, so unfortunately cannot offer an alternative option.

Good luck getting an answer.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
:) :) To quote a good friend, The way I interpret this is; if you have Mobilio, then that will cover you for breakdowns?

If you have fully comprehensive insurance then if your car is involved in an accident you 'should'** be entitled to a courtesy car when your own vehicle goes in for repair.

**Check with your insurance provider

I am baffled by the question posed by the author, so unfortunately cannot offer an alternative option.

Good luck getting an answer.

Regards,
John

Morning John!

'methinks you have 2 replies mixed up here? The second was from my "Everybody has a story" thread...

A mind is a terrible thing to lose!

Have a good 'un!

I've got AA breakdown cover and home start with my bank account with Lloyds TSB. You also get things like mobile phone insurance, fraud cover, travel insurance, blahdy blah. Might be worth investigating as I'm sure Lloyds aren't the only bank to offer such a service.

Its possible you have might cover without realising it!

Also, if you have a joint account, you'll both be covered.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/premier_current_account.asp

'quote' " Don’t be fooled. Contrary to prior claims, neither the AA nor the RAC are the ‘fourth emergency service’. Actually they’re subsidiaries of big companies whose aim is to make money. Avoid their over-expensive policies by using the UK’s cheapest roadside recovery services, you can get a full cover policy for just £32."

Im with a company that does breakdown 'insurance' called Autoaid which covers myself and wife in whatever car we are in

they dont arrange any repairs or recovery as such although they have a phone help line (never used it)

cost - about £32 a year
more info at
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1094823518,14076,

and also at http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

'you pays yer money . . . '

HTH

Last edited:
You're all talking about breakdown cover though (for our non-MB cars I use Brittania Rescue), but what the OP is after is recovery after an accident.
My understanding is that what you're supposed to do is call your insurers emergency number and they'll do 'something' - what that 'something' is varies depending on who your insurance company is.
The breakdown companies will arrange recovery after an accident, but they expect you to pay up front for it. You may or may not be able to recover that cost from your insurer (if it's your fault - if it's someone else fault then it certainly should be recoverable).

If the Police are involved they'll tend to call their contracted recovery people so you'll get a chunky bill anyway.

Rory said:
You're all talking about breakdown cover though (for our non-MB cars I use Brittania Rescue), but what the OP is after is recovery after an accident.
My understanding is that what you're supposed to do is call your insurers emergency number and they'll do 'something' - what that 'something' is varies depending on who your insurance company is.
The breakdown companies will arrange recovery after an accident, but they expect you to pay up front for it. You may or may not be able to recover that cost from your insurer (if it's your fault - if it's someone else fault then it certainly should be recoverable).

If the Police are involved they'll tend to call their contracted recovery people so you'll get a chunky bill anyway.

The only time I was involved in an accident that required recovery, the police arranged recovery and they contacted me the next day for insurance company details. I never saw any bills directly, all covered under fully comp insurance.

Remember that this only applies in the UK though. You'll need to arrange additional cover for accident recovery abroad.

When Meg's had her accident recently the insurance company recovered the car to our home until they sourced a repairer, who then in turn recovered the vehicle to their premises. We didn't pay a penny over the excess.

So likewise - I'm a bit baffeld by the request. Mobilo covers your breakdown if necessary - but insurance cover covers accident recovery.

Only snag to the insurance recovery bit is that you may be pressurised to get it recovered to one of the insurance's "select repairer premises" Then it can be difficult to get them to shift it to the repairer you want. Just make sure its recovered to an APPROVED MERCEDES REPAIRER to protect your warranty. Happened to me. Post accident, car was recovered to a Ford garage since it was the only recovery service available at the time. I had to "persuade" my insurance company Norwich Union Direct that it had to be repaired at a Mercedes body shop and they said I WOULD BE LIABLE for the cost of moving it since they had recovered it already to an "approved repairer" which the Ford garage was. The clincher was that the ford garage didnt have the correct body/chassis alignment rig to sort the car or I dont know what the final outcome would have been. With mobilo life owners are now in a stronger position but this was early 90s! Needless to say I'm not insured with NUD now.

Mr E said:
The only time I was involved in an accident that required recovery, the police arranged recovery and they contacted me the next day for insurance company details. I never saw any bills directly, all covered under fully comp insurance.
Fair enough - the bit I'm unclear about is what happens to passengers and luggage etc? It's OK if you're near home, but if you're some distance away are you just supposed to summon a taxi to get you home? Unlike Mobilo, I don't think the accident insurers will deliver a hire car to the accident location.

Rory said:
Fair enough - the bit I'm unclear about is what happens to passengers and luggage etc? It's OK if you're near home, but if you're some distance away are you just supposed to summon a taxi to get you home? Unlike Mobilo, I don't think the accident insurers will deliver a hire car to the accident location.

I've always been lucky to have something like an accident management scheme - either via the insurance company or the manufacturer/dealer. In either case they arrange for on-going transport, messages, etc.

However, it's picked up by an insurance company somewhere along the line. Depends how confident on the liability of the other party and how attached you are to NCB, etc.

When my car was totalled back in 2003 (nearly 4 year anniversary!) I called a breakdown company near to the accident location. Directline told me they'd pay for the recovery. It was to be recovered to a local (to the incident) garage but I wanted it to be taken to somewhere near where I live, which was an additional £70 or something. I paid for the whole lot on my creditcard, walked home from the garage when the car had been dropped off and sent the total bill to DL who promptly paid the whole lot back to me before the creditcard bill arrived :)

This is not always possible of course but I reckon if it's cheap enough they simply won't bother asking questions and will just cough up for recovery. I think it came to a couple of hundred pounds though!

Gollom said:
Morning John!

'methinks you have 2 replies mixed up here? The second was from my "Everybody has a story" thread...

A mind is a terrible thing to lose!

Have a good 'un!
:D :D Afternoon Gollom,
It was my feeble attempt at humour.

Your reply made me smile when I read it 'In the other place' (more humour)

I thought the reply very fitting when I read the topic of this thread. It confused me and your tactful reply was still fresh in my mind. :)

I bet I haven't explained myself very well?

John

glojo said:
:D :D Afternoon Gollom,
It was my feeble attempt at humour.

Your reply made me smile when I read it 'In the other place' (more humour)

I thought the reply very fitting when I read the topic of this thread. It confused me and your tactful reply was still fresh in my mind. :)

I bet I haven't explained myself very well?

John

Who said that? :bannana:

I managed to get hold of some useful and pretty detailed information about Mobilo Life, which I could not find available elsewhere. I have posted it today as a new thread in case it helps.

Last edited:
where are you digisatman?

a lot of replies which may or may not be somewhere towards what you are asking . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom