Breakfast clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

My boss has asked me to join a breakfast club, so I am looking for some advice on how to go about choosing one.

Does anyone here use them and do you find them useful?

Thanks

Tan

Personally, I don't find them of any value.

They are networking events, like any other, and the thing to bear in mind is that everyone is there to sell, nobody goes there to buy.

Talk to your local chamber of commerce, because they run them. Organisations like BNI also do them, and they ensure that only one delegate from each type of business attends, so there's no competition.

If you can find an event that gives you a five minute slot to talk to the group about you and what you can offer them then that can generate some interest (BNI do this), but generally, for me they are just ways of swapping my business card for other peoples.

I have contacts and colleagues for whom networking events work well; but they don't for me. I'm not a natural salesperson though, and the people I'm thinking of are.

PJ

They're a bit like the Masons to be honest.

I go to a couple here in Edinburgh and we tend to all give business to each other and spread the word on each others businesses. I've gained lots from my memberships.

The phrase "givers gain" is very true when it comes to this way of working.

BNI tends to be one man bands and I got nothing from it. Hunt around, you'll be amazed at how much is going on in your area that your competition is going to. your local Chamber of Commerce is indeed a very good place to start.

Good luck & enjoy !

We have these for the kids at school.
Generally sloppy affairs with large quantites of cereal and milk on the floor. Wet messy uniforms with dirty faces.

Does this sound similar to corporate do's?

Pretty much minus the uniforms !

As others have said, your local chamber of commerce is a good starting point, I would also try your local BNI chapters (www.bni.com) to see if they suit you. They do vary enormously and whilst I would agree a lot are one man band businesses some chapters have bigger businesses as members as well. I was a member of my local BNI for about 4 years and got a lot of good business from it, but it does take a lot of time up to do properly.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom