Brenzett Museum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Nice day out at Brenzett, Kent today. Always a good place to visit if you an interest in WWII aircraft that have been dug out the marshes.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
There's a lot of that sort of thing at the RAF Museum at Hawkinge - but no photography allowed, they even take your mobile off you when you go in! Another one is the museum at Manston, plus of course the memorial at Capel le Ferne.

Couple of good pubs not too far from Brenzett - at the other end of the road is The Bull at Ivychurch, and not too far from there is The Star at St Mary in the Marsh (a regular Sunday watering hole of ours!). Going the other way from Brenzett, a really quirky pub is the Red Lion at Snargate - if it's open! It's on the road from Brenzett to Appledore on the left, and easy to miss. If it's closed, carry on to Appledore and the Black Lion - good real ale and food pub!

Chrishazle said:
There's a lot of that sort of thing at the RAF Museum at Hawkinge - but no photography allowed, they even take your mobile off you when you go in! Another one is the museum at Manston, plus of course the memorial at Capel le Ferne. Couple of good pubs not too far from Brenzett - at the other end of the road is The Bull at Ivychurch, and not too far from there is The Star at St Mary in the Marsh (a regular Sunday watering hole of ours!). Going the other way from Brenzett, a really quirky pub is the Red Lion at Snargate - if it's open! It's on the road from Brenzett to Appledore on the left, and easy to miss. If it's closed, carry on to Appledore and the Black Lion - good real ale and food pub!

I'm beginning to spot a trend here.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

There's a lot of that sort of thing at the RAF Museum at Hawkinge - but no photography allowed, they even take your mobile off you when you go in! Another one is the museum at Manston, plus of course the memorial at Capel le Ferne.

Couple of good pubs not too far from Brenzett - at the other end of the road is The Bull at Ivychurch, and not too far from there is The Star at St Mary in the Marsh (a regular Sunday watering hole of ours!). Going the other way from Brenzett, a really quirky pub is the Red Lion at Snargate - if it's open! It's on the road from Brenzett to Appledore on the left, and easy to miss. If it's closed, carry on to Appledore and the Black Lion - good real ale and food pub!
I'm in Ashford and have never tried any of those pubs so can feel a few Sunday afternoon trips being planned

Perhaps now is a good time for me to mention that yesterday was the last day that the museum is open until the summer now. Not that this should get in the way of anybody's pub time. You also have Lydd Gold Club just down the road. A place that can compete with Aberdeen for gale force winds.

I am currently reading a cracking book about Detling Aerodrome (I live next to it) just discovered that it was bombed in 1915 by Zeppelins and then later by Gotha Bombers.

Great history.

The Red Lion (locally known as Doris's) at Snargate is a bit special.

It's like a WW2 or 1950's time capsule. Every now and again the national newspapers rediscover it and publish a write-up.

Tried to call in there just after 6pm yesterday - closed!!, so went to the Black Lion in Appledore instead.

Not sure Doris's would be a good place for a GTG as the car park is smallish, and I would not fancy parking on the road! Star at St Mary in the Marsh would be first choice in dry weather as they use their field as an overflow car park. Another option might be one of the Sunday car meets - 1st Sunday The Bell at Smarden, 2nd Sunday Deering Arms by Pluckley Station, 3rd Sunday Farriers Arms Mersham (don't like that pub though, trendy gastro pub with its own micro brewery).

Last edited:
Tried to call in there just after 6pm yesterday - closed!!, so went to the Black Lion in Appledore instead.

Not sure Doris's would be a good place for a GTG as the car park is smallish, and I would not fancy parking on the road! Star at St Mary in the Marsh would be first choice in dry weather as they use their field as an overflow car park. Another option might be one of the Sunday car meets - 1st Sunday The Bell at Smarden, 2nd Sunday Deering Arms by Pluckley Station, 3rd Sunday Farriers Arms Mersham (don't like that pub though, trendy gastro pub with its own micro brewery).

With you on the farriers, expensive food that is not worth it. Good intent in aldington was good but have not been there for a few years. Tickle trout in eye is a lovely setting. Last time tried to go to the deering arms it was closed and no sign of their opening hours displayed.

Tickled Trout in Wye is lovely in summer, sitting out in their garden on the river, but car park is small and pub can be very crowded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom