Bridgestone Potenza!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
Has anyone any experience with Bridgestone Potenza regarding Wear Grip etc?

I'm considering a pair of RE050A (255/35 R19 96Y) RG XL MO1 CZ at £151.99 each.

The only problem is the Front Version is not MO Rated for some reason!

Had them on other cars and found them noisy - at first I thought the wheel bearings were going, that noisy.

These were factory fitted to my car and were totally rubbish!

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S seems highly regarded if you need an ultra high performance tyre.
Conti Sport Contact 6 are good but wear quickly.

RE050A have been around forever haven't they?

I wouldn't be worried about not having an MO marked tyre personally.

Check you don't use runflats. Some W205s do, and some don't!

I had them in my Type R and i didn't find anything special though the honda forum members swear by them.

Agree 're the PS4s. I have them now and the best tyre hands down. Would have gone for the Super sports but they have been discontinued now and replaced by the PS4s

Have new Potenza's on the rear of my ML , not too noisy at the moment and grip ok in the wet but I will be switching them as soon as I can justify it , as they are a lower speed rating than the MO spec tyres on the front . They were fitted by the garage who sold me the car and I decided needed to inform the insurance company to get their ok, which I did. Rather have the same brand and spec on all 4 wheels but at over £150 a tyre cannot afford to switch until have got a few miles out of them

Check you don't use runflats. Some W205s do said:
According to the Halfords Website Continental 255/35 ZR19 rear aren't Runflat but 225/40 ZR19 front are?

My reasoning behind MO Rated, I went for non MO Rated Conti on my A220 Fronts and they were worn out in 5,000 Miles compared to 20,000 on the MO Rated they replaced!

I wouldn't be using Halfords to suggest what tyres are on my car!

You might get more help from mytyres or oponeo.

You don't want two runflats and two not so check what is correct for your car.
Are they runflats at the moment?
Continental use the "SSR" logo so you should see that on your sidewalls.
e.g.
co_cpcssr_pdpcrop.jpg

I wouldn't be using Halfords to suggest what tyres are on my car!

You might get more help from mytyres or oponeo.

You don't want two runflats and two not so check what is correct for your car.
Are they runflats at the moment?
Continental use the "SSR" logo so you should see that on your sidewalls.
e.g.

As I would prefer to use MO Rated mytyres or oponoe don't appear to stock them!

Having a closer look has determined that I have Continental 5P on the Front not SSR.

I only used Halfords Website in order to gauge the Price Listings, they only show the SSR in stock, though the last set to Tyres I had fitted to my A Class was at Halfords and the care they took of my alloys and the Price was impressive!

There's a general issue with MO tyres.... the MO list has not been updated for some time and no new tyres were added to it in the last 10 years or so.

So if you are after a newer model of tyre, you will have to compromise on the MO mark.

Also, I am assuming that at some point manufacturers will stop making the older models altogether.... what then?

There's a general issue with MO tyres.... the MO list has not been updated for some time and no new tyres were added to it in the last 10 years or so. So if you are after a newer model of tyre said:
My A Class had Continental 5's on a 64 Plate and my current steed has the same all MO, I understand that the latest Continental Version is 6 though I have yet to see any!

I'm not undermining your knowledge (I read your VERY Early Post on MO this morning) the MO List may be out of Date but MB are still supplying Cars with the later Tyres fitted marked as MO!

I only know what I read online....

The Conti Sport Contact 5, Conti Premium Contact 1 and 2, and Conti Eco Contact 5 are available as MO, but these are not a new tyres... the Conti Premium Contact 5 and 6, and Conti Sport Contact 6, are newer models, but not avalaible as MO (as far as I know).

On another note... factory-fitted tyres are not always labelled as MO (my 2006 W203 came with Eagle NCT 5 non-MO tyres).

Apparently the Conti Sport 6 has been designed to counter the criticism of rapid wear on the 5.
My wife's car has the 6 on it, but given her annual mileage they will probably perish before they wear out!

On mytyres if you are insistent on MO markings, you need to choose Mercedes from the "Original Equipment" pop down on the left hand side, but as mentioned above you will be missing out on the latest generation of tyres.

Incidentally a Mercedes run flat is designated "MOE" if you see that coming up.

Dunlop FastResponse are available as MO... the newer BluResponse, are not. Etc....

I had them in my Type R and i didn't find anything special though the honda forum members swear by them.
I’d agree with this. I had them on my S2000 and never felt very confident with them.

I’d agree with this. I had them on my S2000 and never felt very confident with them.

The Potenzas were standard fit on the Type-R. I found the tyre wall was too stiff so that you had mega grip and then they would snap on you when they reached the limit. So most people switched to Yokahamas or Toyo Proxes for more progressive feedback, however the latter do wear out quickly.

If it were me, I would change my Merc to MPS4 or Conti 6

Apparently the Conti Sport 6 has been designed to counter the criticism of rapid wear on the 5.
My wife's car has the 6 on it, but given her annual mileage they will probably perish before they wear out!

On mytyres if you are insistent on MO markings, you need to choose Mercedes from the "Original Equipment" pop down on the left hand side, but as mentioned above you will be missing out on the latest generation of tyres.

Incidentally a Mercedes run flat is designated "MOE" if you see that coming up.

That's useful to know, thanks. I've done 4000 miles on the rears of my Conti 5 and they are down to 4-5mm already (approx. 60% worn). Unfortunately mine are on 18" and Conti 6 start at 19".

So I guess my next set I will be looking to Costco for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or BlackCircle to see what other deals are around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom