Bring Back the Mercedes Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possibly part of the problem was when making a choice of model, the equipment level desired meant choosing the AMG styling, adding the equipment you wanted to an SE or Avantgarde model with a traditional grille then made it more expensive than the AMG styled one. They need to look at pricing options, but as said specifying a grille when ordering isn't rocket science, as they say on Top Gear "How hard can it be"

the sports amg and avantgarde model have a different bumper that goes all the way up to the bonnet line.

The elegance bumper goes upto the middle of the grill..

so effectively everything above is the grill and the bonnet shut line meets the grill

so its not a simple swop over..

but they need to have both options open to the market..

This marketing decision is very very wrong IMO!

Some of my family members accross the country have not considered buying the new C and E purely due to the symbol not being available... Without the symbol, there is hardly no difference in the psychological experience between MB Audi and BMW when sitting behind the wheel IMHO????? Since all three manufacturers are german and offer very good quality, drive, comfort etc... nowadays.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the main MB models for the young market is the A and CLA class primarily and yes, the C class partially caters for the young market,.but not compared to the A and CLA.

Also, maybe some are forgetting that the E class is often referred to as a Executive Saloon / Business Saloon so where does the issue of attracting the young market arrise from for this model???

Take for example the W203, W211 and W212 in SPORT trim. I personally think they were perfect examples of an MB in sport disguise.

Whilst I too lament the passing of the bonnet star in the UK, I am much more disappointed by the absence of any large petrol engines in the E-Class line-up. Sadly, after 10 years of joyful MB motoring, the lack of engine choice has driven me to order an Audi.

I suspect that MB UK have no interest in what might be termed the traditional MB owner (slightly more mature, not wanting something flashy but wanting pace with grace - to nick an expression from RR).

There isn't a subtle curve or styling cue in the entire range, now.

Some of my family members accross the country have not considered buying the new C and E purely due to the symbol not being available... Without the symbol, there is hardly no difference in the psychological experience between MB Audi and BMW when sitting behind the wheel IMHO????? Since all three manufacturers are german and offer very good quality, drive, comfort etc... nowadays.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the main MB models for the young market is the A and CLA class primarily and yes, the C class partially caters for the young market,.but not compared to the A and CLA.

Also, maybe some are forgetting that the E class is often referred to as a Executive Saloon / Business Saloon so where does the issue of attracting the young market arrise from for this model???

Take for example the W203, W211 and W212 in SPORT trim. I personally think they were perfect examples of an MB in sport disguise.

my father is the same.. he keeps wanting a smaller car, and was thinking of the new w205.. and even tore out the article from the sunday times some time ago.. but then i told him the badge will be in the grill, and he was like.. "i dont want it! im not here to have a big blob in the grill"

my father is the same.. he keeps wanting a smaller car, and was thinking of the new w205.. and even tore out the article from the sunday times some time ago.. but then i told him the badge will be in the grill, and he was like.. "i dont want it! im not here to have a big blob in the grill"

Lol I can understand his feelings. My father has the same thinking. He had some interest in the W212 facelift model (before it came out) but after seeing the coupe grill and no symbol on the bonnet, he didn't even talk about that model again :)

IMHO, I think the UK MB market as always been deprived somehow. Majority of the new and used MB cars since the last 10 years or so have been specified with standard specs, common colour-combos like silver and black and been dominated by diesel engines. And now, the C and E come with no saloon grill and bonnet star... I don't want to start a new issue or argument here but what is happening to the MB market in the UK??? Maybe MB are trying to pull BMW and Audi customers??

Never know, in the future the S-Class might not even have a saloon grill and bonnet start :fail

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see how many "mature" Mercedes owners will be pushed into the arms of the likes of Jaguar, as Mercedes continues chasing after the younger market.

bonnettopstar.jpg

I wonder if the idea is to make all saloon MBs in the UK look more like Sprinter vans from the front?

Where I live, the MB vans in the drives now match their new E classes our rich plumbers and builders have.. :D

Fully agree with the OP.

With the e class i think MB should stick to their knitting. Most version, AMG aside, are about elegance, wafting, good engineering and effortlessness.

The sports grille, together with low profile tyres, blacked out windows etc all look a bit naff to me. Imho most of the E range should be classic grille, normal looking wheels etc and the most refined, comfortable, best engineered cars in the category. Leave the trying hard to BMWs, Audis etc. It's a bit like your dad in Nike trainers... it doesn't prove anything. (The ultra low profile tyres in particular see a triumph of form over function - noisier and more expensive and uncomfortable and possibly a bit twitchy on the limit... why bother?)

I won't buy a sports e-class and i won't buy one with a silly looking pseudo sports grille. Though i appreciate thee are those on here who prefer this look. Rant over
Ash

35-1.jpg

Oh dear!

An incredibly cheap, stylish and eye-catching campaign from Mercedes Benz let consumers “enjoy the Mercedes Benz test drive” in their own car thanks to a temporary Mercedes star on the bonnet...Have Mercedes-Benz (UK) now lost at their own marketing initiative?

read more at: https://www.facebook.com/BringbacktheMercedesGrill

?

I'm not sure where you are coming from ?

Is it a play on their slogan ? In which case you have substituted 'of' for 'or' intentionally and it's not a mistake ?

?

I'm not sure where you are coming from ?

Is it a play on their slogan ? In which case you have substituted 'of' for 'or' intentionally and it's not a mistake ?

typo my friend.. whoops..

i need to pay more attention.. its not my day job to sort out the grille situation.. but i will pay more attention to typing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom