Bring Back the Mercedes Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe in the olden days it was simple: presence vs performance

Picture1.jpg

Personally I prefer the star mounted in the grill as on my W204, however I recently noticed, when looking at the GLC, it doesn't even has that, it has what was described to me as holographic star (looks like a sticker) and apparently it is like that on cars with the relevant safety system (I forget which it was). From a distance you can't really tell but up close I was quite disappointed by it.

The day they start fitting classic grills as I would no longer want to buy a merc.

Whether you like it or not, Mercedes offer this choice elsewhere and that's his point, why would you close off 20% of potential buyers just by not offering an Avantgarde grille? It's absolutely ridiculous from a business point of view which is what Mercedes is.

My brother-in-law has a CLA220 CDI Sport with a big star grille and he's the same as the new wave of Mercedes drivers it seems; want it to look flash but don't want the running costs. He loves the car, really does, and it is a very nice looking thing, but I'm more of a wolf in sheeps clothing kind of guy whereas he wants a sheep in wolfs clothing...

My personal opinion leans towards the sportier looking Mercedes but I also think, from the E-Class upwards at least, that people should at least get the option.

I understand the the first half of the marketing rationale. But nobody is asking MBUK to fill its showrooms with unwanted stock: I merely wish to be able to place an order for a car which they already manufacture.

I am 39. My wife and I have professional occupations. We have three cars, all Mercedes. In my family we have always bought Mercedes. We are ideal prospective customers. MB could sell us a new car every three years for the next 30 years if it wanted to. Yet MBUK offers nothing I want to buy; it offers nothing my wife wants to buy; it offers nothing my father wants to buy.

I'd recommend a Jaguar XF, offered in both Sports and also more understated spec.

I had a Portfolio 3.0D S with 20" wheels and it rode better than a lot of cars I've had with 18", absolutely soaked up the miles and the interior had a distinct air of class. Great car.

They should definitely offer the traditional grille as an option, even if you have to order it specially. I would rather wait months for a car I like than get a silver AMG sport with black interior from stock. Keep the AMG look for AMG cars, it's ridiculous on a 220 diesel.

They should definitely offer the traditional grille as an option, even if you have to order it specially. I would rather wait months for a car I like than get a silver AMG sport with black interior from stock. Keep the AMG look for AMG cars, it's ridiculous on a 220 diesel.

Agree!

In fact it's ridiculous you can get the AMG look on any oil burner or small engine but that's a whole different argument to this one.

I would suggest that the AMG line priced at a whopping £3,500 above the standard SE model is a very profitable model for MB UK A few trim alterations, slightly bigger wheels , slightly lowered suspension, and some plastic body work is not going to be reflected by that cost on the production line. If they were accompanied by some engine performance modifications OK but as far as I can see they aren't. I am beginning to suspect that MB UK are offering the model /trim choices to their UK buyers that provide the greatest profit margin for them. Hence the restriction of trim, option, engine choices offered to UK buyers compared to other markets.

...but I'm more of a wolf in sheeps clothing kind of guy whereas he wants a sheep in wolfs clothing
Excellent analysis! (Wolf disguised as a sheep is my preference too) :thumb:

I love the big star on the grill, it sends out a statement, "look out I am a Mercedes-Benz" we have to move on from the past, full marks to the design team who thought it up.

I love the big star on the grill, it sends out a statement......full marks to the design team who thought it up.

It's been around since the SL/SLC models in the 70s, but always reserved for more sporty versions of the standard 'gunsight' car.

I still want a gunsight - but of course 'wants doesn't always get'

For the past 15 years I have had a s-type se, I loved it but the cls250 I thought looked amazing, I was sorry to see the old girl go but wow this is a fantastic car.....Love it

CLS is fine, it's a coupe. Also the C, E and S coupes, as these always had the big star (except the old clk) It's the saloons that should've kept the old grille and the luxury ride qualities instead of turning into 'sportscars'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom