"Brutus" the e55k Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tbh i was unsure of Distronic when i 1st got the car, But now I've got it sussed by using the Display i wouldn't be without. Works well even in the fog too.

Good luck to the boys, Gav.

Lots of v8 noise through the Dartford Tunnel and a couple of short trips locally.

The ceiling of both of those tunnels is well coked-up, not least from my racket mine made through there many a time at stupid o'clock.

Well got my Boy back from Great Ormond Street, They couldn't do all of what they wanted to as his condition in worse than they thought. Back again in the new year, Thankyou peeps for all the kind wishes.

Managed to clock up 800 miles commuting, Brutus was consistently returning 23.5mpg On a brim to brim, 85miles on there and then aprox 10 miles in London traffic, What a Machine to do it though! Brutus didn't let me down and was a absolute pleasure to drive.

Brutus Hasn't used any Oil either over the 4k since it was last changed despite using the Large Pedol on the far right a few times lol, I will be doing another ATF Filter and fluid change along with a Oil n filter change shortly.

Even got Over 30mpg on the way there, Distronic Set at 57mph,

Brutmpg

Last edited:
I found mine a pleasure to drive through London when I took my late mum to her various cancer-related appointments.

She thought it was better than the S class they paid to get driven in with once.

Well it's been abit quiet lately on the repair front haha, On the to do list is the Rear Subframe bushes, 114k now and they haven't been done.

A while back i thought they needed doing as i had a small thumb over light rucks in the the road this turned out tobe Rear ARB links which i fitted and all was good, but ever since seeing the state of the rear bushes i thought it's only a matter of time.

Sooo not learning my lesson "if it's not broke" etc etc I've decided to get the Subfame bushes Done.
Not by me though, This time i'm letting one of my Garages do it Just incase it go's Brutus style up haha.

OEM Febi Bushes going in Shortly

mbmount2.jpg

mbmount.jpg

mbmount1.jpg

FEBI do the complete kit including new Bolts Also Gen MB 10.9 tensile Parts numbers Pictured. Finger's crossed Thursday all go's well doh......

Well tbh The Job didn't get done as i got too busy at work to be able to drop the car off at the Garage, Sooooo Brutus is now booked in for wednesday.... Fingers crossed hey doh!

This thread is a little lacking of video's lol,

So here's Brutus braving the elements, No Antics i'm afraid due to Cold Engine and Box ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do miss the sound of my old car though. I won't deny that.

The sound of your's was just right John, Sounded awesome mate. :)

When I first got my car I was driving around with a snapped rear subframe bolt (didn’t know). Fortunately PCS spotted it when my car was in for some other work.

Well the Garage couldn't fit Brutus in last week, So it's booked in again this Thursday finger's crossed, they are a very good customer of mine so can't grumble to much lol.

This will probably be the end of the thread of myself and Brutus, But will obviously up date as things progress. It's the last piece of the Jigsaw for the Brutus build , His certainly tested me at times partially my fault as my car's always have tobe a1, It is a cracking car and now Stop's and starts and go's the way it did when it left the factory
I've put 10,000 miles on him in just over a year which for me is double what i usually do bringing the total to 114,800 , it's certainly a thrill a minute to drive, The Mpg has been outstanding and ive never had to add any oil's or coolant, I haven't totted the Bill's/invoices up but will i think its around the 6k mark lol but i certainly know these like the back of my hand.

I'm undecided what i'm going to replace it with, But i know one thing it has to be a 7 seater of sorts, either GL420 e350 cdi w212 or a e63 of s211 variant, I didn't realise how much i'd miss not being able to take everyone of the family members out and what with the Birth of our Sick child it's something i have to do though there will be no rush.

My other option is to Keep it and buy a run about/project of Mb kind but i dont think this wouldn't be best for Brutus, although i will if it comes to it.

Many thanks for everyone who as helped and advised me along the way, I truly believe it's now one of the most factory fresh examples out there and will be wanting for nothing.

Best wishes

Brutus and myself

P1010152.jpg

Will advise when a For sale thread is posted, Gav

Shame Gav but at least you've done one now.

I think you mentioned quite early on that this probably wasn't the car for you.

Be boring if we were all the same!

Tbh yes i should have held out for a Estate, The kids think its cool, there friends love it lol and it always attracts nice comments and attention wherever it goes. Im afraid of changing as its perfect no doubt whatever i buy will want work doing. Still there's no rush and despite being jellous of the car the wife is also surprised of this his action.

ah mate, after all that work..

Yes i feel sick in a way, We have 6 children doh.... I've had a fling, the lure of a Saloon was good but i didnt realise how accustomed i'd become with having one. I didn't gel initially with Brutus but as it got smarter and all the suspension issues done it transformed it.
It did me proud on long trips fairly economical thunderous constant power when needed, But i do drive rather sedately, Id love to had done a European trip but being a saloon thats not going to happen.

My s211 was a hard act to follow as it was just as clean as Brutus but much softer less intense drive. Brutus to me was like a Whore One hell of a ride and loves a good time, but you couldn't take it home to your parents lol it would eat them.

Have i been silly spending £ks? i dont think so. It's another one saved and it was certainly worthy of it. And it looks spectacular on top and underneath. All the early foils from a early model have been resolved and you would be hard pushed to find a better one. I'm still up n down but it's never going to suit our situation.

LOL good answer! :+) what was the S211?

i think anyone seriously considering an E55, this should be top of their wish list given the journey youve been with it, and more importantly actually corrected any issues, not just the bits you see,

P1010039.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010028.jpg

My Lowly 2003 e320cdi Which received a concours prize at a local meet despite being a tractor ;) lol

Well thats a shame Gaz, but needs must. Gutted you werent selling this when i was looking for a car in May, ive told you before, id of had it in a heartbeat. Too late now ive gelled with the 335i lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom