Budget hotels and nearly bangeromics.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hello

Stuck in a Travelodge tonight so trying to find something to do. Few times a year I visit a client in Tolworth. Often the time of the meeting means that I stay in a Travelodge, which occupies part of the same building.

It is the most soleles, nasty and generally horrible place there can be. Nothing wrong with the rooms, but urghh. Staff never have the clue (and are never the same one month to the next), even the TV in the bar is half bust today (and knowing the staff I reckon it's been like that a while) and the food is awful. Unfortunately good food means driving and after 6 hours in the seat that is not going to happen.

Can't someone make a decent budget hotel. I know it means no frills, but does it have to mean crap! Saving grace is the £45 bill instead of the usual £65

On the same vain.

I've given the Saab it's first proper long distance blat today. I'd been taking it gently, getting to know the car before I properly relied upon it. It has been superb, coped with setting off a touch late and making up time very well. I'm chuffed, although a puff of blue/grey smoke on start up seems to mean the turbo could be on it's way out. If it gets worse I think I will get it reconditioned and take it off myself...

enough moaning from me anyway...

You my deepest sympathies having to stay in a travelodge, is there nothing else close where you could stay in future? Glad the the Saab is going well though.

Enjoy the atmosphere :D or should I say lack of it ?

You my deepest sympathies having to stay in a travelodge, is there nothing else close where you could stay in future? Glad the the Saab is going well though.

Enjoy the atmosphere :D or should I say lack of it ?

Premier Inn is so much better IMHO of the chain budget hotels and give take a tenner is a better bet.

There is a dearth of any decent hotels in this part of London as as I have been able to discover. There is another Travelodge about 3 miles away that is a bit niceer, but it means traffic and parking in the morning. I hate this place, but given that I am in the same building and don't have to check out till 12, I can pack me stuff back in the car have my meeting and check out without having to go anywhere. It is just too convenient...

I'm in Scotland for a night in November in Troon, and i'll make up for it with a decent hotel then... Having said that, only reason the family are not in tow is becuase I told the 4 yr old that there was no pool. Otherwise should would have hid in the boot I reckon.

I'm with you. I often stay overnight when away with clients and my overnight allowance normally just covers a travelodge and a meal. My biggest bugbear is parking facilities. Parking a Bentley on the street in some parts of the country causes a few sleepless nights. As hotels go, premier inn are ok for the money.

In Tolworth you have other options. There is a Holiday Inn at Chessington WOA just 5 mins away. Speak to Nataly and see what rate she will give you. Tell her David with the Bentleys sent you.

Hotel Inis can be a bit dreary but the food tends to be quite good. Premier Inn tend to have a reasonable chain pub attached.

Always check laterooms and other online booking sites as sometimes you can get in a proper hotel for travelodge money. When I stay travelodge I'll normally hit the local directories and get dominos or an indian delivered...

The Hol Inn at Chessington is only a couple of years old and is being rebranded as a Crowne Plaza. It has a south African theme which is quite fun and they have the add-on of the park.

I sympathise. For the last 3 nights I've been staying in a similar hotel in the Paris suburbs. BBC World and free wi-fi to the rescue. But as 95 euros it's a harder pill to swallow. Thankfully it's on expenses. Bizarrly I'm now staying in a 1 bed apartment nearby for 2 nights at only 55 euros/night. It has a small kitchen and with a nearby Monoprix is much more practical. I'm not sure if such places are available in the UK, but it's a great idea.

re smoking Saab; is it only on cold startup or also during normal driving?
Check for parts here: Car Parts Connexion - Genuine new Saab, Vauxhall spares, accessories in UK

edit: the previous owner of your Saab drove it to the Swiss Alps several times without issue, so I hope it's reliable for you too :)

Last edited:
There is a dearth of any decent hotels in this part of London as as I have been able to discover. There is another Travelodge about 3 miles away that is a bit niceer, but it means traffic and parking in the morning. I hate this place, but given that I am in the same building and don't have to check out till 12, I can pack me stuff back in the car have my meeting and check out without having to go anywhere. It is just too convenient...

I'm in Scotland for a night in November in Troon, and i'll make up for it with a decent hotel then... Having said that, only reason the family are not in tow is becuase I told the 4 yr old that there was no pool. Otherwise should would have hid in the boot I reckon.

Know some great hotels in Troon, always used to stay at the Marine Hotel absoutely brilliant, Piersland House another good one, Highgrove house, Fairways so many to choose from, happy memories.

For good Food, Macallums Oyster bar, Scotts Bar & Restaurant at the Marina, Cecchini's, Tacos and the Old Loan Inn

This was my old stomping ground and I really miss that West Coast :(

Used to use Laterooms, but had a couple of bad experiences. I'll have a look at the Hol Inn next time. Last time I glanced it was quite a bit more on % terms. These trips are really about shoiwing my face and rarely make me money, so I do watch the cost quite carefully.

Last experience of Premier was great, until 4am when the family above us woke up and jumped about for a hour and half. Not completely the hotel's fault but deciding to spec timber floors was an interesting option.

Know some great hotels in Troon, always used to stay at the Marine Hotel absoutely brilliant, Piersland House another good one, Highgrove house, Fairways so many to choose from, happy memories.

For good Food, Macallums Oyster bar, Scotts Bar & Restaurant at the Marina, Cecchini's, Tacos and the Old Loan Inn

This was my old stomping ground and I really miss that West Coast :(

Used Marine Hotel and Piersland House. Not sure why, but slightly prefer the Marine - because it's closer to the sea (not by much though!). Many of my overnight stops are more relief from driving so it's not often i'll venture out, although perhaps I should more.

Used Marine Hotel and Piersland House. Not sure why, but slightly prefer the Marine - because it's closer to the sea (not by much though!). Many of my overnight stops are more relief from driving so it's not often i'll venture out, although perhaps I should more.

Marine was always my favorite too, but you must venture out to the Harbour and Marina some of the restaurants are really World class, the only other time I have had seafood and fish that good is Sydney Harbour.

What were your bad experiences with late room? I've never had any issues all over the world.

Hotel in Salisbury that turned out to be a B&B. At least the travelodge has a bar...

And a rather wierd attic/cupboard room in Winchester. Plus I have looked for Tolworth in the past and it came up with some rather dodgy sounding guesthouses.

Hotel in Salisbury that turned out to be a B&B. At least the travelodge has a bar...

And a rather wierd attic/cupboard room in Winchester. Plus I have looked for Tolworth in the past and it came up with some rather dodgy sounding guesthouses.

Fair comment I couldn't cope in a hotel without a bar :D I've also had some weird rooms but at the price it was OK for a night. Some of the serviced apartments and cottages on late rooms are great value means you have to eat out or cook and bring your own booze though. I do a lot of work in Cornwall near St Austell and stay in a 5 star serviced apartment £38 per night in winter £75 in summer, minimum of 2 nighs though

I feel for you - I stayed in a travellodge this summer and duly hated it!

Right now I'm in one of the millenium hotels... not much of a soul, but the waitress at the restaurant speaks Italian, the hotel is pretty much empty and she's chatty :D Oh yeah, and the food is pretty good as well as the staff being helpful :p

Costs an arm and a leg though (£125 per night, preferential rate as were staying here so long... internet is extra at £15 a day)

M.

M.

Although a lot of them are boring I normally stay in Holiday Inns in UK and Europe. Outside Europe I let our local affiliate book the hotel which is pretty decent (I have a few favorites....) Some HI are better than others but they are reasonable and only a bit more than a premier inn. The good thing is that this year we have had 9 room nights on the points I get for staying - included 2 rooms for 3 nights in Ghent with brother and wife - had a great time and cost nothing!! plus 2 separate nights in Heathrow prior to holidays and one night in Vancouver last week.

If you use hotels a bit then it is worth it for the loyalty programme - after all when around UK on business I rarely go out as mostly catching up on work in the evening.........

Also why I usually fly BA. Each of the last 4 years we have flown first longhaul for holidays using the miles, just for the tax surcharge as a cost. It helps compensate a bit for the hard work

Another night in a budget hotel tonight. This time it is an Etap, which I believe is a growing chain. Room is of adequate size (double) with a novel shower straight off the bedroom. A/C, flat scree tv, funky styling, modern building

Continental breakfast £2.50 - cost of room £34! Can't fault it.

Another night in a budget hotel tonight. This time it is an Etap, which I believe is a growing chain. Room is of adequate size (double) with a novel shower straight off the bedroom. A/C, flat scree tv, funky styling, modern building

Continental breakfast £2.50 - cost of room £34! Can't fault it.

You do like your budget hotels don't you :D Seriously though Etap are OK used them a few times and always been reasonable much better than a Travelodge

I don't like budget hotels much, but do like to watch the bottom line.

This is more of a luxury stay, as I have a presentation to make in Burton Upon Trent in the morning. I could have driven down, but am wary of M1 at rush hour, so hence here I am. If it's a longer day, then a bit more luxury is nice, but to be honest some of the more expensive £100+ a night hotels are not as good as this.

I do love good value for work - it seems daft to pay a lot of money unless it's for pleasure!

Premier Inn is so much better IMHO of the chain budget hotels and give take a tenner is a better bet.

Travelodge feel a bit like Ryanair these days.

Premier Inn by comparison is a bit more like EasyJet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom