Building A Website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I can buy an appropriate domain name for peanuts (£1.99 annually) but would like a website to go with it - for a band my lad's in.

Two questions:

1). Who would "own" the website allied to the domain I've bought (which I assume I own) - bands fall apart regularly and if the bass player (who has web building skills) leaves the band, how can I re-gain control of it?

2) There must be some associated costs with the hosting of a website - do we rent the space from, for example, names.co.uk - and typically, how much annually?

I don't want a wix website as the word wix appears in the web address :(.

Any other pointers gratefully received :thumb:

1. Doesn't matter who builds the website, it is owned by the person who registers it. Make sure its registered in either your sons or your name, especially if you are paying for the hosting.

This I know, as a very popular Phuket forum website owned by a good friend who was killed in a road accident actually lapsed as the (USA) host refused outright to transfer the database and ownership to his father. He ended up losing a big 5 figure sum for the forums actual worth at the time.

The only hosting cost is the hosting...

I'd suggest staying clear of the US companies - especially Go daddy who say they work with the UK, but seem to struggle....

I use TSO to host at present, but others are available....

I know someone who builds and hosts websites for a living - if you need the details let me know. He is based in Coventry so not far from you

1. Doesn't matter who builds the website, it is owned by the person who registers it. Make sure its registered in either your sons or your name, especially if you are paying for the hosting.

Is registering the domain name the same as registering the website - i.e. does the website build beginning with the domain name?

Last edited:
The domain name is registered to whom it belongs - eg - this is my registration (old address must sort that)... WHOIS Lookup Tool - Nominet

The actual website is just software/programme that sit on the host package - the hosts server then knows that lrplans.co.uk business is sent to my host area with the wordpress files and database.

Think of it that the domain name is the address. and the hosting is the building behind it. Needs both to work - but it's the address that is really key.

Thanks - the domain name appears to be available from a number of suppliers, a bit like registration plates - does it matter who I use to buy it?

Nope. But if your going for hosting you often get a free domain name with the package, plus it will link a little more easily...

I've used Fasthosts for my business email (you don't need a website for property rentals as there's considerable demand) and I've looked at names.co.uk too this afternoon.

Any other recommendations, particularly in light of the need for a website?

I stepped away from Fasthosts years ago - I cannot remember why.

I've used Heart Internet and Krystal in the past - but currently host new sites as and when I build with TSO hosts, who are pretty reasonable and responsive..

The domain name belongs to whoever it is registered to, which is normally the person who pays for it. The website belongs to whoever pays for it. The content (text, photos, videos) belong to whoever paid for them, the copyright rests with the author, photographer & videographer and the performance is owned by the band

Pick the bones out of that!

Whatever happens I suggest the website be built on Wordpress as it's a very simple site-building tool that is very common. Most web hosting companies can install Wordpress for you

I have found TSOhosts to be helpful and GoDaddy to be appalling

Alternatively, forget a website and just do a Facebook page

Nick Froome

There's a FB page already - it's more as well as, rather than instead of :thumb:.

I use LCN for my own website hosting and the uk Cobraclub hosting which I look after. Probably the safest way is to keep control over the actual publishing to web section and get the band mate to just design the site and send it to you. That way no-one can alter the site but yourself. If he has access to the site publishing password he could change it and lock you out. Just something to think about.

there are 2 things:

1. domain name or URL
2. website content

owning 1 does not mean you own 2.

website content is owned (mostly copyright) by the person who created the content, unless the creator transfers rights to the band

I built one for my wife's little business using WIX. I have never built one before and it seems to work well for her. it is free as well.
Free Website Builder | Create a Free Website | WIX.com

It really is straightforward even for a computer numpty like me, give it a go.

Oops just re-read your initial post.....sorry but I have never noticed Wix in the web address....looking now

Last edited:
Duplicate post sorry

Assuming you create the site yourself, or have an agreement to that effect with whoever creates it for you, you own the intellectual rights to the content, ie code, copy, images (assuming you do actually own them rather than stolen via Google like most, etc.

Everything else is just rented for as long as you pay for it. The domain is nothing more than a registration to let you point it wherever you want to for as long as you keep paying the fees. The hosting, where you put the site and then point your domain at, is just rented space on somebody else's server, given the crazy low cost nowadays there's no point in self hosting. You can move things about as much as you like dependant on received service and cost etc. Always a good idea not to register the domain with the same company you have your hosting with, giving away 'free' domains is just a ploy to get you tied to the provider.

Virtually everything digital is no more than rented nowadays, still surprised at the number of people who think they are 'buying' music from iTunes rather than just renting for their lifetime.

Just for clarity, you never own a domain name, you rent it annually.

The reason you can get the same name from many providers is that unless its already a registered domain, they will register anything name you want as long as the characters are in a legal format. mainly the only characters allowed are alpha, numeric & -. Once you have made up the name you want, as long as its not already taken, you can register with who ever you wish.

The process is as follows.
You register xyz.co.uk with a registrar.
The registrar will normally provide DNS services as part of the registration.
DNS allows you to map your name to a certain ip address.

xyz.com and www.xyz.com = 10.0.0.1
once the DNS has updated (around 24hours) anyone that types www.xyz.com in their browser will be directed to the IP 10.0.0.1. The webserver will then examine the request headers and serve you the correct web pages that you have already setup.

simplez...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom