Bulb types in W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Just replaced the headlight bulbs in the W210, both the big light and the little one (if you know what I mean :eek: ) because the main beam had blown in the big light and the dipped beam in the small light.

Problem now is that the dipped beam in the small light still does not work.

Question is are the bulbs the same, because the ones I took out were, or is the one for the small light a different type. Seems strange that it exhibits the same problem even with a new bulb,

Cheers.

GregE240 said:
Er, hang on, there is no dipped beam in the small light? Its main beam only.

Are you sure, I am pretty sure the other small light has dipped beam. May be wrong though!

I know there must be something wrong as when I switch the lights on I get a defective bulb message on the dash.

Smaller light on mine is both dipped and main beam, big one just sidelight (or so it seems).

mikemoss said:
Smaller light on mine is both dipped and main beam, big one just sidelight (or so it seems).

Think I need to clarify. The headlamp I am having trouble with is the smaller of the pair. There is a sidelight bulb, and what I assumed was a dipped and main beam bulb. The sidelight works OK, and the main beam but the dipped beam does not. On the other side, the small headlamp has dipped and main beam, (as well as sidelight)

OK, on mine the following is set up, same as other 210s I've seen:

Large lamp: top - indicator. Dipped and main beam.
Smaller lamp - sidelight in bottom of lamp housing. Main beam bulb ONLY.

GregE240 said:

Cheers for that Greg. Looks like somebody put a bulb from the large lamp in the small one. Can you confirm the type of bulb I need to get?

Cheers,

GregE240 said:

Back to the saga of the bulbs!

My car definately has dipped and main beam in the large lamp (the one with the indicator) and sidelight, dipped and main beam in the small lamp. Only the dipped beam does not work even with a new bulb in one of the small lamps? Works OK on main beam though.

Cant get to the back of the working unit out to check the type of bulb it has in, will do that over the weekend

Greg, if they are the same bulbs shouldnt they both be dipped and main beam?

My W210 has H7 bulbs fitted, they are single filament bulbs. The large lamp with the indicator above is dip beam, the smaller lamp is only on when full beam is switched on, the large lamp also stays on, so you have 4 lamps on with full beam, if you dip them there will be two lamps on (the large ones) and a small parking lamp bulb in the smaller full beam lamp. If you want decent light try the PIAA Extreme White bulbs from Jimmy, well worth the money.

Now I am really confused!!(easily done)

I definately have side, dipped and full beam light in the drivers side small lamp. Checked again last night!

Can't understand it, will need to investigate further :(

What year is your W210? mine is 1999 which is in the changeover period, so may be different if yours is an earlier model. I would go to the dealer and ask him to show you a set of bulbs for your year, and take it from there.

Pietre said:
What year is your W210? mine is 1999 which is in the changeover period, so may be different if yours is an earlier model.
Did the headlights change in 1999? Major facelift was 2001, but I know some changes came through in 1998ish like the EIS.

Mine is a 98' W210
It has dipped beam and indicator only in the large lamp.
Sidelight and full beam in the small lamp.
Does this help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom