Burglar Alarms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Can anyone recommend a Burglar alarm company in the Woodford Essex area?

I have notices that many of the systems advertised these days are wireless, are these any good or should we stick to a traditional hard wired system. I think that I would prefer the wired system.

Thanks

Tan

A friend had a wireless system installed on his new-build house and within a month ripped it out and replaced it with a wired one. True, the wired systems are more difficult to install and you are restricted where you can locate things such as control boxes. But the wireless systems are prone to interference. Maybe he had a naff system, or maybe it was because he was surrounded by homes with the same system (came as standard with the house), but it would randomly go off for no reason, which isn't fun at 4am. His neighbours experienced (and are still experiencing) the same problem. Well that or they really are getting broken into 4 or 5 times a day.

I installed my own alarm, which is quite easy if you do wiring etc as a DIY project.
The only issue that you might have to contend with is hiding all the cables.

Wireless alarm system IMO is not good. Stick to the wires. Get a decent fitter to install it so that none of the wires show. I have done a few installs myself and would run the wires under the carpet/drill through walls/ceilings to conceal the entire wiring. Panic buttons you can hide the wires by positioning the panic button unit close to a door frame and conceal the wire behind door frame trim. The new hi tech sensors are superb as can pick out movement from a far range.

Tip: Normally, one alarm box is installed on front of the house that the siren sounds from and a dummy on the rear of the house - instead of installing a dummy box on the rear install another live box – that will make a lot of noise to scare/alert people as often people/neighbours tend to ignore burglar alarms going off these days. :rolleyes:

My house has a wired alarm system complete with PIR sensors etc. but it's been "de-commissioned" (there's no power to the control panel), wonder why .. and how easy it would be to reactivate?

I have had an ADT Alarm system with central monitoring for about three years. Pay a modest amount monthly for the monitoring and that includes annual inspection & fixing any problems. Works very well and the level of service is good. Quite like the fact that fire as well as intruder alarms are linked in to the central station.

Has multiple zones so downstairs can for example cut out the kitchen and adjoining room where dogs wander when we are out but leave rest of house live.

Did not cost that much more than the sums quoted by local installers and it replaced a DIY wireless system that was always giving trouble. Come to think of it, whole thing was cheaper than my last "D" service!

BTB 500 said:
My house has a wired alarm system complete with PIR sensors etc. but it's been "de-commissioned" (there's no power to the control panel), wonder why .. and how easy it would be to reactivate?

Depends how its all been wired up – if wiring issue then simple to solve. It is possible that control panel could have been tampered with by the previous occupants.

IMO you would be better of getting a new control panel (new ones are more user friendly and compact) and look better. Also, change the sensors/alarm box as well. The external mounted boxes that have a visible LED light below the box really stand out at night and are a better visual deterrent.

If you want sometime I can take a quick look and see what is up with it if I happen to be in your area or if you know a electrician he will be able to suss the issue out as well.

Last edited:
Satch: With ADT "Monitor Watch" and others they only inform the Police if the sensors have been triggered in more than one room. So if you get burgled they would wait until a sensor a second sensor in the house has been triggered before calling the Police.

Flash said:
The external mounted boxes that have a visible LED light below the box really stand out at night and are a better visual deterrent.

Yup I suspect the alarm is original to the house (built 1987), and the external boxes front and back look a bit faded and tatty now. I will look at replacing with a newer system, if the existing wiring is OK it might be quite straightforward.

BTW 2 nights after we moved in my "audible deterrent" went off at 00:30 ... well there are some advantages to having 5 dogs :D

Definately a wired system. I used to do alarm installations as a side business. Most systems require simple electrical knowledge if you want to DIY.
Wireless systems, by their very nature will always be prone to interference. The better quality systems will be resistant to this; however having to replace batteries or run equipement from mains adapters is just too much hassle. A system that once installed, runs with very little further assistance is what you would want.
I would also recommend that when you do find someone to install a new system, that query what support they offer in the future, i.e. how quickly will they respond to problems with the alarm. By this I mean installation problems rather than normal maintenance (annual etc checks on the system) which is a service most installation companies would provide for a fee.

Hope that helps :)

oh and just in case you do dive in and go the DIY route, I would suggest going for a Texecom alarm system. Straight forward set up and also excellent manufacturer support for the system.

Picking this thread up.......Some ****!!??!!!**** tried to break into my garage on Saturday night, unsuccessfully as it happens but it has brought security forward in my project list.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has knowedge of class 6 wireless systems which are cat friendly, expandable, incl fire & smoke, easy install, reliable & cost under a grand. Hard wired systems are out I fear as I have wooden floors and many many windows and too many wires already!

A half decent sensor would pick up pets easy...

You may have a slight problem Ianalexnader2.

A half decent sensor would pick up pets easy...

You may have a slight problem Ianalexnader2.

I thought there were sensors that were mass/height sensitive. Does anyone have experience of these?

I thought there were sensors that were mass/height sensitive. Does anyone have experience of these?

Yes, when I moved into my house it already had a wired alarm system which was fitted a couple of years before. Upon testing it the cat set it off straight away. I changed all of the sensors for pet friendly one's which work fine, and neither cat has ever set them off but you can tell they aren't that sensitive when you test them. Still it was the only option available really especially as the cats have the roam of the house all the time.

In my last house I had a British Gas home security wireless alarm fitted, which was linked into the control centre etc. It was fine as long as you remember to change the batteries which British Gas didn't always do when they serviced it. The stupid thing was a low battery on a sensor would trigger a full alarm inc the police being called.

I have installed a wireless system last year and it hasn't given any fault alarms.
It is a Visonic Powermax+.
The older version of siren requires an external power source, but the latest model uses battery with standby of upto 5 years and makes it even easier.
Installation is very simple. It should take less than a couple of hours to install a 6-7 sensors system. Programming it takes the longest but self explanatory with the comprehensive instructions.

I have installed a wireless system last year and it hasn't given any fault alarms.
It is a Visonic Powermax+.
The older version of siren requires an external power source, but the latest model uses battery with standby of upto 5 years and makes it even easier.
Installation is very simple. It should take less than a couple of hours to install a 6-7 sensors system. Programming it takes the longest but self explanatory with the comprehensive instructions.

Thanks for that......two questions. Do the pet pir's work? and do you know if it's a class 6?

Thanks again.

We don't have a pets friendly pir ( upto 38kg ), but our neighbour has the same system and a dog, they haven't had a false alarm yet with 18 months' usage.
I am not too sure whether is class 6 or not.
Here is the link where you can get more information

http://www.visonic.com/VisonicHomePage.nsf/homepage?Openform

Thanks again...it looks good at reasonable cost....I've mailed them to see what class it is and will let you know.

I've fitted a few systems myself and woudl always go for hard wired - same with CCTV - did you know that maplins sell a little device for a few quid that detects wireless security products - bizarre - they also sell wireless alarms & CCTV .

I agree with most of the other posters -
Hard Wired
PET friendly PIRS - yes they do def work
Live siren boxes front & rear
Full perimeter protection using vibration sensors on every door & window frame - thats as well as magnetic contacts on all external doors.
also worth considering is an auto dialer that you can program to dial up to 4 numbers in the event of diffent alarm types.
Multiple zones that can be part set - eg downstairs only when everyone is in bed or perimter only when the TV or Hifi is blaring away

oh, and a really loud siren inside the house to scare the living S**T out of any one who is daft enough to break in.
You can also rig up relays (most modern panels have output controllers ) to operate outside floodlights when the alarm goes off
Also, consider 2 or 3 control keypads - eg 1 by the front door , one in the master bedroom & one by the back door or kitchen/family room etc.
these can also be used as panic alarms by hitting a certain code - it could be9999

Or as satch has done just pay for a firm to instal l& monitor - we use BT red care at work & that is also linked into our fire alarm system . IF one sensor activates , the mintoring company notify a keyholder right away - if two are activated they cal the police first then the keyholder - if a fire alrm goes off teh brigae are called then the keyholder.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom