C Class Manual or Auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ees3dc

Car
TBD
This is my first post.

We've decided to trade in our not too old XC90 for a C Class. I'm not sur whether to get the auto or manual.

My current Volvo has an auto and was strongly encouraged by the sales person to get one because the manuals are harder to shift (pardon the pun). They thus required a hefty deposit. I did like the ease of use but the gear changing annoies me. My biggest concern was the cost of repairing an auto!

Mercs seem to have the same foot parking brake system and in a XC with a manual could be a pain! My understanding is that the C class has a hill assist feature to overcome this problem on manuals.

So I'm stuck on which one to buy - any thoughts anyone? Possibly buying as soon as this week...

Thanks
ees3dc

Buy the Auto. As with the Volvo manual Mercs are alot harder to sell and as a result second hand values for manual mercs are alot lower then there Auto counterparts.

Auto without question. Unlike many marques, Mercedes automatic gearboxes are very, very well built and are no more likely to fail than manual gearboxes.

You don't want a manual choke anymore, nor manual windows, manually tuned radios or manually wound sunroofs. Why on earth would anyone want manual gears? IMHO anyone wanting such an antiquated interuption to the pleasure of automatic transmission, should really be forced to use a starter handle too.

+1 auto...

My personal preference for everyday driving is automatic , but everyone is different .

Mercedes automatic boxes are superb ; the manual ones have a reputation for awkward , 'clunky' gearchanges ( unless you are looking at a Classic model from the 1960's or earlier when the manual boxes , usually with column change , were superbly well engineered too ) .

Try to get a test drive of each before you decide ( or , at least , don't commit yourself to buying a manual without driving it first ) .

Auto without question. Unlike many marques, Mercedes automatic gearboxes are very, very well built and are no more likely to fail than manual gearboxes.

You don't want a manual choke anymore, nor manual windows, manually tuned radios or manually wound sunroofs. Why on earth would anyone want manual gears? IMHO anyone wanting such an antiquated interuption to the pleasure of automatic transmission, should really be forced to use a starter handle too.

Couldn't put it better myself...Mercedes and BMwhatsit auto-gearboxes are bliss. My seven speed G-tronic on a three litre diesel is a sheer joy and I never cease to marvel at the car's effortless ability to whisk me from 0-to- whatever in one silky whoosh!!
Why anyone drives a manual these days is beyond me...

I have a manual,it's definitely clunky. Go with an auto unless you are prepared to live with it.

Drive both to really make sure. I've been driving a manual golf the last couple of days and its been no hardship but the auto is nicer in town and 95% of times.

This is my first Auto having been a manual man all my life, and I must say it makes for relaxing driving, still get the occasional lapse and go to grab the gearstick :)

Once you are used to an autobox, there is no going back. Mercedes automatics are just about the best you can get, whereas their manual gearboxes are not. Don't even consider a manual.

This is my first post.

We've decided to trade in our not too old XC90 for a C Class. I'm not sur whether to get the auto or manual.

My current Volvo has an auto and was strongly encouraged by the sales person to get one because the manuals are harder to shift (pardon the pun). They thus required a hefty deposit. I did like the ease of use but the gear changing annoies me. My biggest concern was the cost of repairing an auto!

Mercs seem to have the same foot parking brake system and in a XC with a manual could be a pain! My understanding is that the C class has a hill assist feature to overcome this problem on manuals.

So I'm stuck on which one to buy - any thoughts anyone? Possibly buying as soon as this week...

Thanks
ees3dc

Go for the auto. I've had my C for nearly 12 months now and the gearbox is superb. I've had other auto boxes on others makes before (Citroen in particular) and the Merc box is the best.

The hill start assist is also very good indeed and I can't fault it. Try a manual and an auto and I'd be very suprised if you chose the manual.

I am probably the lone voice here going to defend manuals. I bought my car new and of course had the same option to decide. I like driving manuals and feel more engaged with the car when I am changing gears and responding to driving need in that way. I find autos a little disengaging and although the driving may be relaxing, I also find myself a little 'lazy' when I'm driving a automatic. Further to that - while I love my Merc and don't plan on driving anything else for a while, there may be a time where I swap cars or move to another and after years of driving an automatic I know it can be very hard to swap back to a manual (my mother has found this to be the case!). The manual gear box on a Merc is pretty good actually and I have to say I am very impressed with the Hill Start Assist which comes with the W204. I am still a little perplexed that Mercedes have had to invent this whole new system when a good old fashioned handbrake has been fine on other cars (and not sure the minimal additional storage space is worthy compensation??) but I also have to admit I quite like it as a design quirk!

So, in short, I am very happy with my manual. And yes, sure, the residuals may be slightly worse for a manual but it does depend on how long you keep the car and under what terms you buy it. If you are going for a finance package then you effectively have a gfv anyway so it's not an issue (and you're buying the car for less) and if you are keeping the car for anything over 4 years or so then it also won't make much of a difference, especially if you end up part-exchanging. So go for the one which suits your own personality, driving style and consider what you want to get out of a driving experience. If it's comfort, ease and luxury then auto is probably right for you. If it's something a bit more engaging, a bit more control and managing your own driving style - as it is for me - then manual all the way. Certainly, while I have 2 legs, I want 3 pedals!

Enjoy the decision making whatever you go for!

I looked at the W212 250CDI Sport with manual box before buying the 350CDI

I can normally settle into a car within 20 - 30 miles, I had the 250 for a full morning of driving about 250 miles and found the combination of manual box and park brake a bit of a PITA to be honest. It also seemed the footwell was overcrowded which I guessing the C class would if anything suffer from more.:dk:

I never got to try the 250CDI auto because I could have the 350CDI for very little more monthly outlay, once I'd tried the 350 / 7g autobox there really was no going back.:D:D

Ultimately you need to try both boxes as other have said, my guess if you already have an auto you'll get an auto. I came from a Volvo auto box the difference is like night (Volvo) and day (MB)

Last edited:
As someone who has come from a manual car to an auto Merc W204 C Class recently, I'd deffo go for an auto Merc, and besides I've always had it drummed into me if you have a Merc it has to be an auto!

i don't think Merco is necessarily a lone voice in speaking up for manual gearboxes - after all more people still drive manuals than autos in this country and not entirely because of the price difference.
However, to me, it is a question of economy of driving actions and efficiency, not just ease.
Just count the number of arm and foot actions you have to go through in a six-speed manual to go from stationary to 70 and back again to zero - three actions PER GEAR. In an auto, it is just two, and you need no further actions to do it scores of times!
Efficiency - every time you change gear, you take the power off:wallbash:
I disagree that manuals allow you to engage better with your driving. Merc autos all have manual modes, without needing any clutch pedal, and are very sophisticated. Further, manoeuvering the car, parallel parking, steering round bends, emergency stops are all easier without having to mess about with manual gear changes.
Finally, I wouldn't worry about losing the ability to use a manual. I have driven autos for at least the last 15 years, and have had occasion to hire manuals (on holiday etc). It's like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it and I slipped back into the dark ages with no problem at all (just stalled once coming to a halt and forgetting to press that clutchy thingy!).
What the hiring experience did do is remind me just how inefficient and anitiquated that manuals are, and how much more logical and easier it is to drive an auto...
Just my opinion...lol...

Definitely an Auto.

Doesn't anyone else think it's bizzare in this automated easy / convenient world that so many cars are manual (and not just 'sporty' ones).

A nice slick manual gearbox is a delight. Auto boxes have come on a long way and as others have said, Mercedes Auto's are generally very refined.

I've driven some horrendous Automatics in my time!

As someone who has come from a manual car to an auto Merc W204 C Class recently, I'd deffo go for an auto Merc, and besides I've always had it drummed into me if you have a Merc it has to be an auto!

I would reply to that "don't be a sheep" or as my mum used to say "if your best friend jumped under a moving bus would you". Don't just follow the herd go try before you buy, make your own mind up as to what is better for you. I tried the manual before opting for the auto, if I could have had the 350CDI with a manual box I'd certainly have tried it.

It depends on what YOU want, when it comes time to change mine I will be going smaller I think as the kids don't come out to play with the old farts anymore.:bannana: If you are looking at fuel economy then a manual box still beats an auto IMHO, if you want to waft along regardless of traffic conditions or spend a lot of time sat in traffic hen an auto is the nuts.:thumb:

Discounting preference.....
When it was last heavy snow, my auto C class was just about driveable along the M25 up the long slop between junctions 2 and 3.
It coped was about the best way to describe it.
However, there was a manual C class that couldnt cope and he was unable to get up the slope and got stuck badly.
The auto feeds power much more smoothly and therefore will perform better in snow and ice.
However, NO rear wheel drive car is ideal in those conditions anyway, but the auto wins over the manual.

Mercedes are designed for automatic driving. Even the SL and SLK. Manuals are really only for those who seriously dont like auto boxes.

The auto feeds power much more smoothly and therefore will perform better in snow and ice.
However, NO rear wheel drive car is ideal in those conditions anyway, but the auto wins over the manual.
Auto "creep" (Selector in D or R, no pedals in use) on snow and ice has got me going quite a few times! Might have been a lot of delicate clutch and gas pedal work in a manual for the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom