C class tyres and pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alphagemini

Car
Mercedes C200
I am reposting this from the wrong department, sorry!

I have recently acquired a nice Class but the ride seems too hard, it reacts to every tiny bump and crease in the road. It has the original Continental Sport 2 tyres. Are these the best for a smooth ride? The pressure is 36 lbs/sq.in.

Does anyone have any ideas? Different brand? Different pressure

Thanks in advance.

I've just changed mine from continentals run flatsome to normal nematic tyres
Put Goodyear Eagle F1s A3s on and I must say the ride compared to the contis is much better
Less tyre noise as well
I run 38psi front 36psi backs
Cheers
Ben

By the way I have a A250 and it's a very firm ride anyway

And another note the Goodyears was a lot cheaper as well
£108 per corner
Think the contis was priced at a ridiculously £165

What year C class and size of tyre ?

The book pressures for my W204 are only 32 F and 33 R and that's with skinny 195/60 tyres.

What year C class and size of tyre ?

The book pressures for my W204 are only 32 F and 33 R and that's with skinny 195/60 tyres.
I've fitted Avon ZV7 all round recently. A much more plush ride than the Contis and Michelins that were on. All 33psi. Good value too. Longevity yet to be proved.

You won't usually find recommended pressures in the owners manual because there are so many variables. Pressures applicable to a particular car are always on the inside of the fuel filler flap. Is that where you are getting 36 psi from as it still sounds a touch high.

You won't usually find recommended pressures in the owners manual because there are so many variables. Pressures applicable to a particular car are always on the inside of the fuel filler flap. Is that where you are getting 36 psi from as it still sounds a touch high.

I have just looked at the filler cap and it specifies different pressures for different speeds and number of passengers. The lowest pressure are 29 for the front and 32 for the rear. This OK up to 130 mph. 36 psi is for a heavy load and higher speed. Crazy.

I will drop the pressures accordingly. The previous owner gave me the pressure he had been using. Should have checked.

Thanks for the info.

That's what I have. 29 in front, 32 in the rear. If I go to 36 front and 41 rear, it's hard as hell.

My C200 is 2006, 19K miles. Tyres are 205/55 R16 91V

The recommended tyre pressures are listed on the inside of your fuel flap.

I would suggest that you set it to 32 front, 36 rear.

Nice mileage by the way :thumb:

I have just reduced the pressures all round. I think it will be the answer!

Thanks everybody for your replies

I have just looked at the filler cap and it specifies different pressures for different speeds and number of passengers. The lowest pressure are 29 for the front and 32 for the rear. This OK up to 130 mph. 36 psi is for a heavy load and higher speed. Crazy.

I will drop the pressures accordingly. The previous owner gave me the pressure he had been using. Should have checked.

Thanks for the info.

That's more like it. Bear in mind the 29 front 32 rear will be for 3 adults and 3 items of luggage so they are more than adequate and there is no need to go any higher most of the time.

36 psi on all 4 is what is recommended for my C200 petrol w205. Are you guys saying that this is too much?

I'd imagine it's quite different for a 205. I was talking about a 204.

Check your filler flap for deets.

36 psi on all 4 is what is recommended for my C200 petrol w205. Are you guys saying that this is too much?

It might well be. When I lowered the pressures on my car the ride was much smoother. I think you should try the lower pressures. I think that fuel consumption might be greater with lower pressure, I will soon see.

My W204 195/60 tyres are at the recommended 36psi and I have no ride issues. Lowering the pressures will increase your consumption but probably by a negligible for a small pressure decrease.

You should use as mentioned the pressures written inside the fuel cap lid...

If on the M way most of the time pressures are increased and the reason is because as the speed goes up the tyre is distorted and a wave builds up at the front where it contacts the road this causes heat which is not wanted and so the increased pressure helps avoid this distortion of the tyre.

Also as insurance companies don`t want to pay out now ...what if the pressures are incorrect if one has a serious accident?? ......the vehicle is not as manufacturers state.

I moved to Goodyear Eagle F1 all round from the Continental and although the tyre noise dropped and the motor handles ok, but when on a damp road the tyres slip off bumps and does not go over them like it did before the change. The suspension is all as before but you think the car is going to slide then corrects itself when off the bump.

Mine is C class Sport also and the suspension is quite a bit firm as that what it is with the package.

Last edited:
My W204 195/60 tyres are at the recommended 36psi and I have no ride issues. Lowering the pressures will increase your consumption but probably by a negligible for a small pressure decrease.

That's curious. I have the same tyres and my recommended pressures are 2.2 bar front 2.3 bar rear which is 32/33 PSI near enough. Perhaps it's down to the different weight of the engines as a diesel auto is a minimum of 90kg heavier than a manual petrol. Just goes to show that pressures are individual to each car and there is little point in comparing pressures here unless for two cars of the same spec.

I also looked in to the impact of pressures on fuel consumption. The answer is not simple as it varies with speed but an approx. figure is if you drop pressures by 10% then fuel consumption rises by 0.8 %.

I'd happily trade a decent ride for less than O.4 MPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom