1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

C180 K BlueEfficiency, is it too much for DIY for B3 service

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Houstonrice, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Houstonrice

Houstonrice New Member

Car:
    C180 K BlueEfficiency, W204, 2009, gasoline, Auto, grey
    hi guys~

i am driving 2009 C180, W204 gasoline auto, and has done all annual services at MB main dealership, L'boro. As it ages, i found that the MB dealer's service becomes too much for any financial merit, so would dare to challenge DIY for the B3 service.

I understnad that B3 service includes;

-engine oil & filter change
    -break fluid change
    -spark plug change
    -air filter change
    -maintenance check up (tyre thread, break pad etc etc)

studied each from YouTube, and built up some confidence.

for those who have done DIY, how difficult the jobs were, apart from the 'maintenance check up'?

I may go for approved service centre for 'engine oil & filter change' as I don't have equipment to lift up the car and to waste the used oil - Would they grant the service history even after this job?

I may buy parts (oil, filters etc) from MB dealership as i want to keep using genuine parts only for my car.
    ref) MB dealership quoted me £540 for B3 and £280 for A in 2018. local authorised service quoted me £380 for B3 (then i have to buy AA breakdown at additional £130) and £220 for A in 2018.

any advice for DIY to replace garage's annual services now on?

Many thanks in advance,
    Houstonrice

2. markjay

markjay Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
    None of these operations are more difficult than on any other car... they are all definitely DIY.

You will need to set yourself up with space, time and tools...

As for the 'checks', this is not straightforward because a trained mechanic will always spot things that a DIY novice won't, even if following YouTube clips.

But ultimately you should ask yourself why you are doing this? If it is purely to save money then I suggest that you simply look for somewhere where this can be done on the cheap.

If this is your first DIY job, it will take a lot of time and there's always the potential that your first job will end-up costing you more than what the garage would have charged (been there, done that).

I did DIY servicing and repairs on my cars and on friends' cars for many years, because I liked it. I no longer do that for a range of reasons (time, physical space, age....).

So if you want to give it a try, then go for it. Just keep in mind that it will not be quicker and sometimes also not cheaper than a garage...

Of course if you do have DIY experience then I am preaching to the choir... and the short answer is that there's nothing particularly special or difficult on the C180 compared to other cars.

3. markjay

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 Retrofitted by www.comandonline.co.uk
    And of course you could try one of the forum's trusted Indies.

4. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    All of the above is doable by the home mechanic, I've done them all.

You can buy fancy brake fluid draining kits but the two-man (or woman!) method works just as well, they press the pedal, you open the bleed screw, repeat til new fluid and no bubbles.

I would echo the trusted indy idea though, a lot are ex-MB technicians, labour rates are typically half that of a dealer. You might sacrifice comfy chairs, posh coffee and false bonhomie, but it's worth it.

markjay likes this.
  5. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    Oil and filter change is a piece of cake if you use a vacuum extractor
    Air filter even easier but check it's really needed as not necessarily required at every B service depending on mileage
    Brake fluid - get the correct low viscosity version of DOT 4 fluid and do a gravity bleed. Takes a little longer but is an easy fool proof method.
    Plugs - essentially straight forward. Again not necessarily needed at every B service ?

What I do for inspection checks is brake shoes and discs, wheel bearings and general visual inspection for rust.

6. OP
    OP
    Houstonrice

Houstonrice New Member

Car:
    C180 K BlueEfficiency, W204, 2009, gasoline, Auto, grey
    Thanks for encouraging and informative comments.

My C180 has currently done 94k miles, and I'd like to keep this car till die.

I just rang a local Indie and quoted for genuine parts; the Indie said that they get these parts from the MB main dealerships and so I may able to get parts directly from the dealership anyway.

engine oil filter: £9.60+vat
    air filter: £26.60+vat
    spark plug: £9.05/each +vat
    combination filter: £33.85 +vat

they are not selling engine oil and break fluid, so i looked at ebay for engine oil;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Genuin...487191&hash=item27e5863685:g:ATsAAOxyF0pTfx7X

is this an appropriate quality oil that I should buy and use? Or should I buy some from the MB main dealership?

any suggestioin for getting break fluid?

It seems that it won't exceed £200 for all genuine parts, oils +vat, so it is workth to seriously consider DIY for my own economic merit...!

I have space and time, will buy comprehensive tool kit as well... most of all, i am excited to do such job by own..!

7. 190

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    With respect I don't see the need for Genuine MB parts. Mercedes manufacture none of those things, they buy them in and then double the price. I would buy Bosch or other reputable named filters at only a little over half those prices and Bosch or NGK plugs.

On the engine oil your car will specify 229.5 which I prefer although Mercedes say you can also use the low saps 229.51 version intended for diesels.

For brake fluid I used Ate SL6 £7.14 1L tin

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...MIvLzlidui1gIVSCrTCh0mUwCHEAkYASABEgJ7fPD_BwE

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB
    KwikFit will do all that for about 200 quid.

9. markjay

Car:
    I agree. Yes MB say you *can* use 229.51 also on 4-cyl petrol engines, but just get the proper one i.e. 229.5.

10. markjay

Car:
  11. markjay

Car:
  12. 190

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    I just checked. You can buy all Bosh parts minus the oil at carparts4less £67.43

13. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    Just get genuine mb stuff off ebay from MB Newcastle or Grangemouth