C180 Sport Sluggish and cold misfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robuk

Car
C180 SPORT
Hi Everyone

wondering if someone could shed some light on a problem I have. The car in question is a 1999 C180 Sport that has developed a misfire when cold, yet when warm and running, it is actually fine unless you give it full throttle. Where at which point it either dies completely or becomes very sluggish and underpowered as if starved of fuel. However if you build the revs slowly it will cruise all day at 80mph and never miss a beat until as I say you increase the throttle and it will lose it power and speed.

I now drive at about half throttle which is great at saving fuel but no good if you wish to pass a vehicle in a hurry. All help and information is very gratefully received.

frown.gif
Rob

Hi Rob,

This sounds like a MAF failure. Its very common, 9 out 10 times this problem disappears after replacing the MAF.

Make sure you get a genuine part either from dealers or go to ECP/GSF and get a Bosch one which is cheaper but the same thing. Its easy to change as well so you can do it without much trouble.

That is what i would start with. Although it could be a fuel starvation problem, anything from the pump to fuel lines.

Getting it on STAR and reading the codes may also help to identify for sure what the problem is.

Hi Rob,

This sounds like a MAF failure. Its very common, 9 out 10 times this problem disappears after replacing the MAF.

Make sure you get a genuine part either from dealers or go to ECP/GSF and get a Bosch one which is cheaper but the same thing. Its easy to change as well so you can do it without much trouble.

That is what i would start with. Although it could be a fuel starvation problem, anything from the pump to fuel lines.

Getting it on STAR and reading the codes may also help to identify for sure what the problem is.

Hi Momomo

Thanks for the reply but just one more question as I am a bit of a ignoramus, what is ECP/GSF ?

Regards Rob

Thats ok Rob, ECP = Euro Car Parts GSF = German Swedish French

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom