C200 CDI W204 Engine Whirring Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colly69

Car
C200 CDI Elegance (W204)
Hi Folks,

I've recently bought a 2008 C200 CDI (manual), loving the car at the moment but over the past couple of days I've noticed a loud whirring noise on engine start up when its been left overnight or in the car park at work, the whirring noise increases when revs are applied but generally only lasts a few minutes, any ideas what the problem could be? I bought it from a main dealer, its only covered 24k so I've got the tier 1 warrantly but as I live a distance away from where I bought the car I'm reluctant to take it back in.

Cheers.

My guess (but it's impossible to say without hearing the noise) is that its the serpentine belt. Can you induce the noise by turning on lots of electrical consumers (headlights, rear screen heater, etc,)?

Thanks Phil,

Can't say that I've noticed any increase or decrease in noise depending upon any other electrics being in use. I'm guessing if it is the Serpentine belt that the warranty won't cover any repairs. Doesn't sound like it will be expensive so I'll probabaly take it to a local for them to take a look.

Cheers.

I have a late 2007 C200 Kompressor (auto) that makes the same noise, which again, gets louder as I pull away but the noise lasts for about one minute. I dont get the noise if the car has been in the car park on a hot day so I assume that it's due to something that needs to get hot before the noise disappears. When I took the car into the dealership and left it with them overnight they claimed that they couldn't hear the noise so I have just put up with it for the past 2 years.

Similar noise from a 320 CLK, the cold it is, the louder it is.

New development to my original problem, when I reversed off the drive this morning with full lock on, loud noise and vibration felt through steering wheel, engine whirred as usual for a few minutes, then all fine. Looks like a trip back to the dealers.

Concerned that my tier 1 warranty won't cover any works on auxillary belts, but I need to find out what the problem is. Only had car 3 months and put 4k on the mileage, so hoping as a first time Merc owner they treat me sympathetically.

Cheers

Checked owners manual and can't find any drawings showing where the power steering reservoir is, any ideas?

I can appreciate that this might be the cause of the noise when on full lock, but wouldn't have thought this had anything to do with the engine whirring noise! Also I'd be disappointed if this was the case having bought a car with only 18,500 miles from a main dealer, there could of course be a leak though!

Cheers.

If its a 646 engine then look for a small unit at the front nearside of the engine driven by the poly V belt [ fanbelt]

Last edited:
Cheers, not sure whether its a 646 engine, but I'll look where you've suggested. Do I need to move any covers? If it is low on PS fluid is there a specific MB type I should use? or are there generic types available from usual outlets?

There may be an engine cover to remove to see what's what. usually they are merely held on with plastic pins that pop into holder/ clips on the engine- usually lift up at the front and pull forward. I would use the correct MB FLUID if required- your MB parts counter will keep you right if you quote your chassis no or it may be written on the reservoir. The reservoir cap will probably have a level dipstick on it- for hot or cold fill. If the level is indeed low then check for leaks.

Sorted, Hopefully!

Checked power steerring reservoir as suggested, hey presto nothing showing up on dipstick, topped up with Pentosin CF 11S hydraulic fluid and problem appears to be solved, no noises when steering on full lock and engine whirring noise has disappeard, gonna keep an eye on the fluid level to make sure that there isn't a leak.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, easy/cheap fix, and avoided a trip to the dealers.
:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom