C207 buying guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthegreen

Car
BMW 330ci
Hi there,

New to the forum so hi everyone.

I'm considering a C207 and looking to gather as much info as possible. There isn't a huge amount of info online (specially if you compare it with BMWs).

Particularly interested about which one is the best, I know there were two pre face lifts plus the last one before the new model came out just recently

Also which engines, extras and so on I should go for. I'm inclined for the 350 cdi budget permitting. And what's the 9g tronos box I've seen in some cars?

As I said, any information is welcome, don't be constrained by the questions
Cheers

Hi green,

Firstly, excellent choice in the C207. I'm currently on my second having just got a 66 plate e350. My previous was also a e350 on a 10 plate so I'm probably not the best person to advise on the different engines, I will say that the V6 is very smooth and has ample performance.

My previous coupe was the 7 speed box and the new is a 9 speed. The 7 was very smooth and gear changing was hardly noticeable, if it is at all possible the 9 speed is even smoother and lends itself for better mpg. I'm unable to confirm this as yet as I've only had the car 2 weeks. It is looking good though.

As for the extras, I guess that's personal choice. I would recommend the Harmon Kardon system, very nice with great ranges. As I say I think this will be personal choice and if you're like me and a bit of a gadget geek then you'll want the most your budget allows.

Now is a good time to get yourself into a coupe, with the new model out sometime this summer. The car in essence isn't much different ( except the gearbox) in the facelift although be sure to check the standard equipment as the later facelift models may come with a toy that you would have to search for on a preface lift model.

Happy hunting and I hope you find the car you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi green,

Firstly, excellent choice in the C207. I'm currently on my second having just got a 66 plate e350. My previous was also a e350 on a 10 plate so I'm probably not the best person to advise on the different engines, I will say that the V6 is very smooth and has ample performance.

My previous coupe was the 7 speed box and the new is a 9 speed. The 7 was very smooth and gear changing was hardly noticeable, if it is at all possible the 9 speed is even smoother and lends itself for better mpg. I'm unable to confirm this as yet as I've only had the car 2 weeks. It is looking good though.

As for the extras, I guess that's personal choice. I would recommend the Harmon Kardon system, very nice with great ranges. As I say I think this will be personal choice and if you're like me and a bit of a gadget geek then you'll want the most your budget allows.

Now is a good time to get yourself into a coupe, with the new model out sometime this summer. The car in essence isn't much different ( except the gearbox) in the facelift although be sure to check the standard equipment as the later facelift models may come with a toy that you would have to search for on a preface lift model.

Happy hunting and I hope you find the car you want

Was the 9g-tropic an extra or standard for the 350? I can see there are the two variants in the market post facelift

It's the 7-G+ Tronic gearbox on the 350 CDI.

Be careful regarding the DPF. If you are purely a town stop start driver then you should avoid cars with a DPF ideally. If you go on long runs regularly then you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

It's the 7-G+ Tronic gearbox on the 350 CDI.

Be careful regarding the DPF. If you are purely a town stop start driver then you should avoid cars with a DPF ideally. If you go on long runs regularly then you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

What do you mean? When i search for post 2013 models 350s come with either 9G or 7G or 7G +

I may be wrong here, but the 9g was available as an option from 2014, and then became standard from 2015/16. I'll be honest I'm unsure about the dates.

I think mbenz was implying that you get a 7-G+ box as well and these have been known to have issues.

Are there any gadgets you or extras you definitely must have?

Also check on then DHP option, I am not sure if its standard on the E350. This will offer waft and angry mode depending on your mood :)

I may be wrong here, but the 9g was available as an option from 2014, and then became standard from 2015/16. I'll be honest I'm unsure about the dates.

I think mbenz was implying that you get a 7-G+ box as well and these have been known to have issues.

Are there any gadgets you or extras you definitely must have?

Still unclear what's a 7g+ box compared to 7g or 9g

Some of the stuff I would want to have (I guess most will come with it):

- AMG pack (but don't really understand what this gives. I understand it the equivalent of the M sport BMW and that's what i like)
- Heated and electric seats with memory
- Double clutch box
- sat nav with all the usual treats, aux, USB, iphone and so on
- all the comfort stuff (led lights, rain sensor, light sensor, long beam sensor, blind spot, front and rear parking sensors, don't need the camera)
- Although i like hard suspension (actually i've never hard a car without sport suspension, either BMW m suspension or audi s-line suspension, it's also good to be able to do confort, specially when navigating around bumpy london)
- ski-through load

btw, what's the different between the sport trim and the AMG sport?

Still unclear what's a 7g+ box compared to 7g or 9g

Some of the stuff I would want to have (I guess most will come with it):

- AMG pack (but don't really understand what this gives. I understand it the equivalent of the M sport BMW and that's what i like)
- Heated and electric seats with memory
- Double clutch box
- sat nav with all the usual treats, aux, USB, iphone and so on
- all the comfort stuff (led lights, rain sensor, light sensor, long beam sensor, blind spot, front and rear parking sensors, don't need the camera)
- Although i like hard suspension (actually i've never hard a car without sport suspension, either BMW m suspension or audi s-line suspension, it's also good to bemin able to do confort, specially when navigating around bumpy london)
- ski-through load

I have a 2015 e220 amg line. Mine came standard with heated seats, full led light package, online command, part electric seats but not memory,full leather, rain sensing wipers, front and rear parking sensors, parking assistance, collision avoidance.
Mine does not have ski hatch and not sure if it was on options list.
I don't think it's a double clutch gearbox but does have steering wheel paddles (only used once).
Mine has sports suspension but it's not hard at all and gives a very smooth ride especially on motorway runs.

I had a 2013 facelift E coupe and currently have a 2016 model , both 220d. All E coupes after 2014 are all AMG sport trim so the only choice will be engine size. They all come as standard with Command, leather,multicontour seats,auto box ,park assist and folding mirrors,both of mine had the Pano roof, a must have in my opinion.LED intelligent lights were made standard in late 2014 I think.
I've driven a 350d CLS , what an engine, but am happy enough with the 220d as the 350 would be a license loser. I've also had 19" AMG alloys on both , really suits the look of the car. My 2013 one had the 19"s fitted by the dealer and the ride was fairly hard and jittery on poor surfaces whereas my 2016 model comes with 19"s as standard, totally different car to drive, I think MB have tweaked the suspension to compensate for the bigger alloys and it's now smooth and comfortable whatever the road surface.
Both had the 7G tronic box and can't fault it.

I had a 2013 facelift E coupe and currently have a 2016 model , both 220d. All E coupes after 2014 are all AMG sport trim so the only choice will be engine size. They all come as standard with Command, leather,multicontour seats,auto box ,park assist and folding mirrors,both of mine had the Pano roof, a must have in my opinion.LED intelligent lights were made standard in late 2014 I think.
I've driven a 350d CLS , what an engine, but am happy enough with the 220d as the 350 would be a license loser. I've also had 19" AMG alloys on both , really suits the look of the car. My 2013 one had the 19"s fitted by the dealer and the ride was fairly hard and jittery on poor surfaces whereas my 2016 model comes with 19"s as standard, totally different car to drive, I think MB have tweaked the suspension to compensate for the bigger alloys and it's now smooth and comfortable whatever the road surface.
Both had the 7G tronic box and can't fault it.

Good insight!

What I am taking away is that there's lots of variation and looking for one will require lots of scrutiny....not simple!!!Looks like the car changed every year!!!

What year are you thinking of getting as there were various changes and options, some of which can eliminated by knowing what year model you are looking at.

If you are looking at the 2014 onwards facelift models then Scooby-Doo has described things like the AMG line limitation.

I have the A207, so convertible version but similar principle. Had the 350 CDI for a while and now have 250 CDI. 350 is a smoother engine and sounds better at tickover, it is however quite a bit less efficient at around 8-10mpg and doesn't feel that much quicker. The 250 is a good balance between power and efficiency.

If power is the consideration, then I would just get a 350 petrol personally.

What year are you thinking of getting as there were various changes and options, some of which can eliminated by knowing what year model you are looking at.

If you are looking at the 2014 onwards facelift models then Scooby-Doo has described things like the AMG line limitation.

I have the A207, so convertible version but similar principle. Had the 350 CDI for a while and now have 250 CDI. 350 is a smoother engine and sounds better at tickover, it is however quite a bit less efficient at around 8-10mpg and doesn't feel that much quicker. The 250 is a good balance between power and efficiency.

If power is the consideration, then I would just get a 350 petrol personally.

I am not looking at any year in particular for now. Just trying to understand first what are the options and then narrow down the search to a smaller circle for when i switch into hunting mode.

I'd consider the 250 if for some reason i can't get the 350. From a BMW straight 6 petrol into a Merc diesel 4-cylinder it'd be too traumatic a change :)

I just found out that from 2012 through to 2016 there are at least 3 engine variants for the 350....264hp, 254hp and 247hp....

what's all this madness!!!

350 is diesel , petrol version is either badged 200 or 400. The 250 diesel was discontinued in 2014 I think, not many about anyway.

350 is diesel , petrol version is either badged 200 or 400. The 250 diesel was discontinued in 2014 I think, not many about anyway.

Still, that doesn't clarify the difference 350 variants I'm finding

I think it's called progress. ;)

Pre 2013 facelift they were called "Sport" , post 2013 there were two trim options SE & AMG Sport. With AMG sport you get different front and rear bumpers with a chrome front splitter , left & right chrome "dummy " exhaust pipes and side skirts.
With the "Command Nav" you also get an SD card slot ,so goodbye CDs.
On the run-out "Edition" model you can't really pick your options, they come as packages, I've got the premium package consisting of Harmon Kardon, full electric seats, reverse camera and keyless entry - all for £2500 less discount.

I think it's called progress. ;)

Well not really as the power decreases with time. First 231 then 264 then 254 and 247.

You could argue that performance is maintained with less power and mileage reduced but it's no the norm. Plus my point was that usually engine variants are there for a few years, say 3-4. Had never seen three variants going on in just 3 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom