C207 E250 coupe owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BMAY529

Car
MB E250 Coupe
In 2013 I was looking to change from a troublesome BMW530d and one day called into a Mercedes Dealership (never having owned a Merc) and saw an E250 coupe with a panoramic roof. Well it was love at first sight. The salesman handed me the keys and told me to take it for a drive… I was just smitten… stylish, comfortable, nippy, pan opening sunroof and with the last of the kids flown the nest I could go back to a coupe... and it could take two sets of golf clubs… the deal was done.

Well four years later to the month I still have it and have just booked it in for MB service. I have never had (touch wood!!) a days trouble with it, it is brilliant around town or on long trips regularly retuning 50+mpg on those trips, economic to service and I still enjoy driving it especially with the sunroof open or windows down.

At four years I have never kept a car as long so am wondering as it approaches 80k miles would it be prudent to replace it now or should I keep it as it is running perfectly and still looks well. I read here of e class owners running up 200k+ miles with their cars still going strong.

I would love to hear any C207 owner experiences especially any who have run up big mileages

saw an E250 coupe with a panoramic roof. Well it was love at first sight.
Same as me in 2013 , 220d though. Kept it for two years and swopped it for another E220d Edition last year and intend to keep this one for a lot longer than my normal 2-3 years. I only do about 5-6000 miles a year but not had any problems.

Bought E250cdi coupe in 2017. Just coming up to 5 years old. Booked in for a service plus autobox fluid and filter change. This is one of the first cars that I have kept so long. It now has 50000miles on the clock. Have looked at other cars but nothing available impresses me.
My car is still a good drive, looks good, still gets admiring glances. Agree with the OP on fuel consumption. I check consumption on a spreadsheet and the computer is pretty accurate but my calculations show the average consumption over 5 years as over 49mpg. Some shorter runs but also a trip each year to Southern Spain and several 200 mile drives. Wife chose the colour - white with a red interior - wanted me to have a car unlike my usual choice of grey!
No problems so far and really no desire to change it. Somewhat concerned at the upsurge against diesels and thus without real direction, too risky to change to the unknown ( petrol cars will be the next target and hybrids just seem a cop out; another diesel - well the spare wheel space is now taken up with an adblue tank). Much prefer a spare to the other options and if necessary may have to change marque next time to get a spare!
All in all a great car. Hope it continues its reliability and pleasure.

Last edited:
I bought one in 2014 as my first car and same thing happened to me, was looking for an e92, something like a 335d and then drove past a Mercedes dealership and decided to test drive an e class, really liked it so bought it. Had an accident in it (not my fault) last year, liked it so much that I bought another one but this time I knew more of what to look for so the current one has plenty of extras. There's nothing I don't like about it so will keep it for a while I think.

Interesting, i too was looking at BMW's, 4 series and 5 series.

Happened to go to the garden centre, where there is a dealer close by, dropped in just to have a look and, 20 mins later bought a 2012 plate E350 Cdi Coupe with pano roof, tenorite grey with cream leather and piano black trim.

We did the deal subject to test drive, at which point he just gave me the keys and said enjoy.

Wow, great car, so much torque, loved it.

Six months on and 5000 miles, still really enjoying it.

Bought E250cdi coupe in 2017. Just coming up to 5 years old. Booked in for a service plus autobox fluid and filter change. This is one of the first cars that I have kept so long. It now has 50000miles on the clock. Have looked at other cars but nothing available impresses me.
My car is still a good drive, looks good, still gets admiring glances. Agree with the OP on fuel consumption. I check consumption on a spreadsheet and the computer is pretty accurate but my calculations show the average consumption over 5 years as over 49mpg. Some shorter runs but also a trip each year to Southern Spain and several 200 mile drives. Wife chose the colour - white with a red interior - wanted me to have a car unlike my usual choice of grey!
No problems so far and really no desire to change it. Somewhat concerned at the upsurge against diesels and thus without real direction, too risky to change to the unknown ( petrol cars will be the next target and hybrids just seem a cop out; another diesel - well the spare wheel space is now taken up with an adblue tank). Much prefer a spare to the other options and if necessary may have to change marque next time to get a spare!
All in all a great car. Hope it continues its reliability and pleasure.

A lot of common ground here. My trip comp is showing avg of 49mpg over 49000 miles since last reset.

Interesting comment about diesel engines and what will happen to them and maybe a reason to hold on and see what evolves in the coming months.

I currently have and like having a spare wheel and HATE the idea of having some sort aerosol can as a replacement. I just cannot imagine how helpless I would be were I to get a puncture when travelling to some remote parts of the country far from any garage as I do or times when they are not open. No, No, No. While I understand cars do not get punctures as often as they once did I have had a few puncture experiences in the Merc, one when I had a blowout on the outside lane on a motorway which shredded the tyre before I could come to a stop. I would have been reliant on help if I did not have a spare wheel. One good thing about the past BMW's I had was that they had run-flat tyres (with a spare) and I don't think I ever had a puncture over about 10 years. Mind you the tyres cost double what they do on the Merc. I know the manufacturers are trying to save weight and maybe cost but I cannot understand how buyers accept this. I saw the Jaguar F-pace SUV has a real spare wheel.

A lot of common ground here. My trip comp is showing avg of 49mpg over 49000 miles since last reset.

Interesting comment about diesel engines and what will happen to them and maybe a reason to hold on and see what evolves in the coming months.

I currently have and like having a spare wheel and HATE the idea of having some sort aerosol can as a replacement. I just cannot imagine how helpless I would be were I to get a puncture when travelling to some remote parts of the country far from any garage as I do or times when they are not open. No, No, No. While I understand cars do not get punctures as often as they once did I have had a few puncture experiences in the Merc, one when I had a blowout on the outside lane on a motorway which shredded the tyre before I could come to a stop. I would have been reliant on help if I did not have a spare wheel. One good thing about the past BMW's I had was that they had run-flat tyres (with a spare) and I don't think I ever had a puncture over about 10 years. Mind you the tyres cost double what they do on the Merc. I know the manufacturers are trying to save weight and maybe cost but I cannot understand how buyers accept this. I saw the Jaguar F-pace SUV has a real spare wheel.

My son has had BMW's with run flats. Punctures caused major stress when tyre dealers couldn't supply appropriate tyres. He also has had cars with only an aerosol; stranded for ages when the tyr too damaged for the aerosol to work! I would just love being in rural France say, getting a puncture and having to try to get help. Plus of course in France if one has to replace a tyre it's 2 tyres because they will insist on 2 new ones across the axle! A spare, even a skinny gives one a chance to move on and make decisions.

Now on third E Coupe this the 350 with 9 speed box, love it.we have a place in Southern Spain and drive there twice a year, this the first V6 engined with bluetec tank in boot and no spare, we also because we have MB service contract, get mercedes European assistance, so would make any breakdown, perhaps easier to deal with, suppose they must have a way to deal with tyer replacement on motorways. so far, touch wood in 18 yrs of trips, no breakdowns and only one puncture after we'd arrived and that coupe had the skinny spare wheel, so no problem.The V6 is much quicker ,smoother, and a lot more torquey than the four pot, if you can, go for the350.

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_114921442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160423_114921442_HDR.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Now on third E Coupe this the 350 with 9 speed box, love it.we have a place in Southern Spain and drive there twice a year, this the first V6 engined with bluetec tank in boot and no spare, we also because we have MB service contract, get mercedes European assistance, so would make any breakdown, perhaps easier to deal with, suppose they must have a way to deal with tyer replacement on motorways. so far, touch wood in 18 yrs of trips, no breakdowns and only one puncture after we'd arrived and that coupe had the skinny spare wheel, so no problem.The V6 is much quicker ,smoother, and a lot more torquey than the four pot, if you can, go for the350.

On your third E coupe - crikey, that's dedication; you really must love it! I think breakdown services hold a stock of wheels to help you get to your stopover or a garage - might be an idea what they do in fact provide in such an eventuality.

Although mine is just 5 years old I have maintained dealer servicing (but only after ascertaining a competitive quote from 2 dealers plus sometimes an indie) at fairly reasonable prices and thus keep mobilo cover for both UK and European trips; extra cost for dealer servicing allows for mobilo. Did have a fuel quality problem (UK fillup) last year and mobilo arranged for a main dealer in France (Auxerre) to put the car on STAR. Terribly rude dealer customer service though!

I was attracted to the 350cdi but in the end went for the 250 as being a fair compromise. It certainly goes very well indeed! Seeing the 60+mpg (not often I add) en-route is heartening!

I do recall pulling up at traffic lights in France and a group of four youths, crossing the road in front of the car, turned and couldn't take their eyes of the shape of the car. Certainly in white it looks pretty stunning; great design I feel.

Well, third E coupe, but not quite as dedicated as you may imagine, the first an e220 in solid white bought at 6 months old and 5000 MLS had gearbox problem, MB had it back three times said it was G/Box software problem, after I'd had it 5 months they finally agreed to exchange for another e220 with better spec 19 inch alloys and pan roof, also in solid white, kept it for 18 months, and the e 350 with 9 speed box came along, so just had to have one and think I'll keep this one. Previously had C270 C250 Slk250cdi, and then the E's, E, 350 has been my favourite. I too used to drive BMW's had a few, before the c270, now prefer mercedes. :thumb:

I don't have the problem at the moment but I think if I got a new C207 or other car without a spare and did long trips as I do I would buy and carry a spare wheel or even one of those temp ones... just in case!!! would probably never need it but I like my independence and just don't like the idea of not being in control if I got stuck. If the engine blew up or something I can accept but not just a puncture. I can't understand why manufacturers don't even make provision for a spare as an option if someone wants one... seems a retrograde step to me and one I will certainly be looking at when next changing!!

Not only not a spare wheel, you don't get a jack or a wheel nut wrench either, all you get is an electric pump, a can of spray and some white cotton gloves. I did manage to wrangle a new wrench out of MB dealer for free, but should have cost £15. But still don't have a spare wheel, or jack,

Not only not a spare wheel, you don't get a jack or a wheel nut wrench either, all you get is an electric pump, a can of spray and some white cotton gloves. I did manage to wrangle a new wrench out of MB dealer for free, but should have cost £15. But still don't have a spare wheel, or jack,

Terrible!

I don't understand it. Why do so many Manufacturers do this? Why do they not build a spare into the design and then if they don't want to include it they can offer it as a chargeable option kit and keep everyone happy!!!

When my wife bought a Peugeot 208 back in 2010 a spare wheel was an optional extra @ £50.00 , no brainer really ,at that price.

Yep its strange. There;s a polo and an a1 at home and both are the same age so you'd think that the both had the same emergency wheel or whatever. The polo has a full size spare wheel, the A1 doesn't even have a space saver, tried to put the polo's spare wheel into the a1 cos the polo practically never gets used and turns out it won't fit into the a1 which apparently needs a space saver. I thought they were pretty much the same car...

So, back to the original question... my e250 coupe has everything I want including spare wheel, opening pano roof, good performance and economy, is well MB serviced, trouble free, etc and I still love driving it but it is now 7 years and about to hit 80k miles. Should I hold on to it or change? What kind of mileage can I realistically expect to run up on the E250 before it would start to give trouble... I do about 12k miles pa?

Down to personal choice and budget. if you've had 7 years trouble free, then why not get another one that's younger and perhaps a different colour.

So, back to the original question... my e250 coupe has everything I want including spare wheel, opening pano roof, good performance and economy, is well MB serviced, trouble free, etc and I still love driving it but it is now 7 years and about to hit 80k miles. Should I hold on to it or change? What kind of mileage can I realistically expect to run up on the E250 before it would start to give trouble... I do about 12k miles pa?

Further to my earlier post, my car went in for service and an autobox oil & filter change today. I took the opportunity to look at the underside whilst on the hoist. I couldn't believe how clean it was (considering we live in the heart of East Anglia with muddy roads everywhere). With the mechanic we checked bushes, brake lines etc and all was in exceptional condition. Garage confirmed that they serviced many 207 drive trains and many of those cars had clocked up 200,000 miles so mine at a mere 50000miles is a real youngster.

So I reckon I can regard my car as a keeper for the time being!

I wonder how many people these days could/would change a wheel even if they had the neccesary items to hand?

Don't have a spare in any of the cars now. The one in the Jeep came out to make way for the LPG tank, the MB didn't come with one and although when I first built it there was a spare wheel carrier and wheel on the back of the Westfield, I removed both when giving it a refresh back in 2011. Didn't have a spare in my Stratos copy either, nowhere to put it.

No doubt I've now put the mockers on it, but I have been exceptionally lucky with punctures over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom