C240 estate wont start - tech help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hyperon

Car
C240T
I have a 1999 Mercedes C240 V6 2400cc petrol, with 100k on the clock. It has full Mercedes service and one owner from new - it is in mint condition.

The car will crank over but will not start.

The fuel pump does not run when the ignition is turned on or when the engine is cranking over.

I have checked the fuse for the fuel pump and checked the relay with 12v to see if it pulls in and it is ok.

I took the outer cover off of the fuel pump relay and activated the contacts by hand and the fuel pump comes on. If I keep the fuel pump running by operating the relay by hand the engine will start (although it is quite lumpy) and misfires if the engine is revved. On tick over it runs smoothly.

I have plugged in the X431 diagnostics into it and the only code that is coming up is C1504 steering angle sensor not initialised. However if I monitor the steering angle sensor on live data it appears to be working. In addition the ABS & BAS/ESP lights are on, which is to be expected with a steering angle sensor fault.

Another problem the car has, upon turning the ignition on I have noticed the rear stop lamps will work once (when pressing the brake pedal) and as soon as the pedal is released and reapplied they stop working. I am going to change the brake lamp switch, but would surely not stop it from starting?

I have checked all ecu plugs and fuses but everything appears clean (no corrosion, moisture or blown fuses).

When running diagnostics, I have no communication with the BAS but can monitor it via live data and all appears to be working.

ABS & ESP are ok on comms and have no faults apart from the steering angle sensor.

Everything else on the car works, windows, wipers, lights, horn, dash clocks, central locking etc

I have also removed, cleaned and replaced all earth connections under the bonnet but that made no difference.

I am running out of ideas, does anyone have the pin data to the ESP/BAS ecu?

Change your brake light switch,it's function is not to just turn brake lights on,it sends signal back to ecu for BAS and fueling iirc. Chances are symptoms you describe will disappear.

Hi Martyz,

Thats where I was going with it next, just have to wait for it to arrive in the post but it has been a frustrating week!

Would a faulty brake switch stop the fuel pump? Seems a little extreme, but i'm open minded. :dk:

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep the thread updated with my progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom