C350 Sport Edition First Impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Well believe it or not I’ve driven the best part of 800 miles in my first week with my new car and I am chuffed to bits with it. I keep discovering new things about it every day so I thought I do a bit of a first review!

R2%20Winchester_zps0ebzszm7.jpg

From the outside the Magnetite Black paint looks different in different light. It seems to suit the style of the car and in sunlight the paint pops its sparkle. The AMG wheels, body kit, rear valence and quad exhaust seem to be attention grabbing. I’ve had a number of positive looks/comments including one neighbour who followed me home because he said it looked gorgeous and the exhaust sounded fantastic (more later).

When approaching the car at night and unlocking it, I’m enjoying the mirror mounted courtesy lights which illuminate in the door mirrors so that you can avoid puddles. (A nice little touch that I’ve not had before). When inside the car the door handle and grab handles are illuminated, which creates a glow on the beige leather. Whilst it’s hardly important to have such features they all just add to the appeal and the feel of quality.

Doors_zpsnhac84ud.jpg

Lights_zpsbwxfkemr.jpg

On starting the car several different things happen, which are interesting. The Intelligent Lights flash on like lightening and then go from side to side and up and down while they get ready. The seat and steering wheel go through their easy access thing and present you the steering wheel. The seat belts tighten on you in order to measure you before releasing, having told the airbags how big you are. Oh yes and the exhaust will have announced your intention to the world to depart! I might as well cover the exhaust now. The exhaust is cosmetically lovely and striking, the question is the noise. When starting or pulling from low revs it makes a low growl which I have not been used to. My neighbour and others thing it sounds fantastic from outside the car but I have yet to hear my own car from outside yet. I intend to arrange that shortly. When cruising the exhaust is barely audible (good) but when accelerating or driving up a steep hill under load I think it is quite noticeable (not unpleasant but noticeable). I seem to be the only person in the family that thinks this, as everyone else thinks it is fine and just different from the sound of my last car. I intend to see how I feel in a month. If I’ve adapted to it then I’ll leave it as it is and if I have not then I know a man who can “turn it down” for me.

Interior_zpsrhrlr0fj.jpg

Inside the leather is gorgeous; it may take some regular cleaning but let’s face it that isn’t going to be a problem for me! The seats are works of art - being ventilated, heated, memory, lumbar control and the comfort version rather than the sport version. Knighterrant had previously said how good this seat option is. All I can do is concur.

The kids are loving the rear luxury climate control and its associated zone. They tell me it works well. The whole heating/climate control package seems to be good. I’m not quite sure I have mastered the use of “Diffuse”, “Medium” and “Focus” settings yet, nor have I used REST yet.

The car has the storage package of drawers and nets everywhere. It needs it as the armrest with the media interface seems to get quite hot when it is charging devices with USB. I have therefore decided that you can’t store anything in it as it gets warm and I don’t want devices getting too hot. Am I alone in thinking that?

Talking of Media Interface I have successfully got my Samsung phone working through Comand and charging. It will display/read texts and, after I downloaded the BlueDun app, I now have Comand Online features such as weather. I have yet to activate Facebook and email (I may not!).
Comand, playing back through the Harman Kardon Surround sound make a fine sound. A musician friend commented that it must be hard to get out of the car as you could listen to it all day. I have managed to get a 32GB SD card working but have yet to use the build in hard drive or the Bluetooth steaming. Aux in works fine. The car seems to do a good job of matching up tracks with its built in database and displays album covers even though I’m sure I didn’t have some of them?!

Vehicle Dynamics Package is sensational! Basically you can have two cars in one. When I want to pootle about it sits in E mode and uses its “Direct start” Stop start system to good effect. Using this approach I saw, a frankly ridiculous, 45mpg on the trip computer whilst stuck in the 50mph stretch of the M3!! The ride in this mode is still “Active” but is comfortable. It is as smooth as my Elegance C350 but with better controlled rebound. However, when you press the innocuous looking Sport button on the dash (different from the one next to the gearshift) the car lowers slightly, the throttle is adapted, the gearbox shifts quickly and less smoothly and you can have full manual mode on the flappy paddles. In this mode it is ridiculously fast. Doubtless some of you are thinking “but my AMG has 950bhp and does 60 in 1 sec” well that’s all well and good but my car is almost too fast on normal roads and with the Active suspension in Sport mode, it corners flat as the outside shocks firm up and my bottle will go before it can’t cope. I have a favourite road with a bend that can be taken in my last C350 at about 40mph before the car will understeer over the white line. In this car I took it at 50mph and it had no understeer at all and held its line flat and dead in the centre of my lane. Heck it’s clever. I haven’t properly measured 0-60 but I expect about 5.8/9 ish and that is fast enough for me 

Sundry other things: I love the Pan roof although it’s been a bit wet to use it much. Heated Washers are useful. DVD at the station car park is nice. Not used Parking Guidance yet as I can drive!

Conclusion: Does it meet my needs for an upmarket, comfortable performance car with vaguely sane mpg. Answer Yes.

Would I make the same purchase again. Yes definitely.

For: Image, build quality, kit, performance, some green cred for having Stop/Go etc, lovely place to be.

Against: Still getting used to exhaust note. Haven’t mastered heating/climate control.

Overall: Love it!

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/186877-c350-amg-sport-edition.html#post2064399

Last edited:
Excellent, glad you're enjoying it. Are they C63 back boxes or an aftermarket exhaust? Just curious.

S

Great looking car, I'm sure you will get used to the exhaust note. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame they stopped offering a nice petrol engine like this. Before our E class I was quite keen on a C350 Estate.

I guess the New C450 will fill the gap left by your model.

On a similar note my business partner test drove an Audi S6 Avant yesterday with the new 4.0 TFSI V8. It seems it's a less tuned version of the RS6 without all the shouty bits and is quite excellent and arrives a warp speed in a ridiculously short space of time. You'd probably need a track to separate it from it's much more hardcore RS sibling.

I'd like a powerful petrol car next, but we're a one car family and I just don't want a full hardcore RS or AMG, it's this mid range that really appeals, much like your car.

I'm looking forward to the AMG Sport models that are due here in the next 3 years, I have a feeling they'll sell in volume and the full AMG versions will become more hardcore and increase in price.

Last edited:
Excellent, glad you're enjoying it. Are they C63 back boxes or an aftermarket exhaust? Just curious.

S

No they are, I believe, CKS ones made for my engine. I contacted CKS to confirm this but they say they can't say anything about what the previous owner has or has not had done. They do sound sporty. The guy who came to my house because of the noise has a Maserati-so it must be quite nice!

Great looking car, I'm sure you will get used to the exhaust note. Enjoy.

Thank you. I hope I do as well!

Last edited:
It's a shame they stopped offering a nice petrol engine like this. Before our E class I was quite keen on a C350 Estate.

I guess the New C450 will fill the gap left by your model.

On a similar note my business partner test drove an Audi S6 Avant yesterday with the new 4.0 TFSI V8. It seems it's a less tuned version of the RS6 without all the shouty bits and it quite excellent and arrives a warp speed in a ridiculously short space of time. You'd probably need a track to separate it from it's much more hardcore RS sibling.

I'd like a powerful petrol car next, but we're a one car family and I just don't want a full hardcore RS or AMG, it's this mid range that really appeals, much like your car.

I'm looking forward to the AMG Sport models that are due here in the next 3 years, I have a feeling they'll sell in volume and the full AMG versions will become more hardcore and increase in price.

That is entirely how I feel as well. Interesting I'm in discussions with a journalist about comparing my car with one of the new bigger engined w205s when they are available to the press.

Lovely car ....now cmon get a sound clip up its what we all want to hear not about mirror lights that show you puddles!:thumb:

Tony.

Lovely car....now cmon get a sound clip up its what we all want to hear not about mirror lights that show you puddles!:thumb:

Tony.

:) Alright but not in the rain!

Last edited:
Glad you are enjoying your new car. It's always fun to find out new features. It looks great.

Looks great enjoy..:thumb:

Really pleased for you, you're so obviously enjoying your new toy :thumb:

I'd be interested to hear what the exhaust sounds like sometime. Intuitively you would think that a V8 would be higher pitched for the same rev's than a V6, but Angie's SLK350 howls at the top end in a wonderful beguiling way that my E63 doesn't. However, if it's amplified thunder you want... :D

If I may ask, are they the dark brown wood inserts on the dash.

Just looking to change and it's the same colour combo as yours and i'm very tempted!

If I may ask, are they the dark brown wood inserts on the dash.

Just looking to change and it's the same colour combo as yours and i'm very tempted!

They are the Black Ash option. Very subtle but with quite a strong grain effect which is hard to pick up on a phone camera. If it ever stops raining I'll do some better photos and videos.

However, when you press the innocuous looking Sport button on the dash (different from the one next to the gearshift) the car lowers slightly, the throttle is adapted, the gearbox shifts quickly and less smoothly and you can have full manual mode on the flappy paddles.

does it really lower? is it not just a change in damper settings without any change in ride height?

Sounded like a write-up on my car. I can't imagine why ;)

If you ever get to fully understand the climate control, you're a far better man than me. Just coming up to three years ownership and I still don't know what all the settings are about. All I do know is that I never have to touch it because it maintains everything perfectly throughout the car.

The exhaust note: I'd be interested to hear how it compares to my standard twin pipes. Most of the time I don't hear anything - but give it some welly with the HK turned down and a lovely fruity rasping noise enters the cabin. But as you say, warp speed arrives rapidly so I quickly have to lift my right foot and the music ceases. It lasts just long enough to smile, but not so long as to be intrusive. The best I can do for now as a demonstration is to offer this clip from our European tour in 2013. This is heading towards the top of the Stelvio Pass - clearly it's a bit slippery in places so I needed to take a little care!

[YOUTUBE]R6ir7qNW0cQ[/YOUTUBE]

does it really lower? is it not just a change in damper settings without any change in ride height?

I thought I read somewhere that it lowers it by a further 6mm. It makes it's adjustments by putting a variable current through a magnetic fluid. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Sounded like a write-up on my car. I can't imagine why ;)

If you ever get to fully understand the climate control, you're a far better man than me. Just coming up to three years ownership and I still don't know what all the settings are about. All I do know is that I never have to touch it because it maintains everything perfectly throughout the car.

The exhaust note: I'd be interested to hear how it compares to my standard twin pipes. Most of the time I don't hear anything - but give it some welly with the HK turned down and a lovely fruity rasping noise enters the cabin. But as you say, warp speed arrives rapidly so I quickly have to lift my right foot and the music ceases. It lasts just long enough to smile, but not so long as to be intrusive. The best I can do for now as a demonstration is to offer this clip from our European tour in 2013. This is heading towards the top of the Stelvio Pass - clearly it's a bit slippery in places so I needed to take a little care!

QUOTE]

Cheers. That was a really useful clip. Mine is lower and meaner and then howls at the top end. If my kids were ever in then I'd get some help in videoing mine! It's kind of the same noise but different (that's not very helpful!).

Last edited:

I thought I read somewhere that it lowers it by a further 6mm. It makes it's adjustments by putting a variable current through a magnetic fluid. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Although this review is of a C350 Coupe it is I believe the same system on mine.

From Car and Driver:

...the new C coupe offers an optional—special order, only—sport suspension package called Dynamic Handling. It lowers the body by 0.6 inch and stiffens the springs and dampers. The advantage is agile handling in sport mode, even as the system softens up midflight if it encounters crummy roads; the transition happens in as little as 10 milliseconds. The handling package also includes a stability-control-based torque-vectoring system. In fast corners at the adhesion limit, when the stability-control sensors detect encroaching understeer, the system slows the inside rear wheel in order to assist the yawing moment. As a result, the C coupe turns into corners with precise control and real determination.

This summary was from a MB reference:

"With the continuously variable damping, handling becomes more taut, body roll is reduced and the ride becomes firmer. Steering and throttle response becomes sharper and gear changes more responsive (automatic transmission only). Even ESP® (Electronic Stability Program) intervention is marginally reduced to help enhance the dynamic driving sensation – without compromising active safety, of course."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom