C36 amg Unleaded or Super Unleaded ?? Your view !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ucr

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
C36 amg Unleaded or Super Unleaded ?? Your view !!:dk:

Normal... As far as i know, your car is not set up for super so you are just wasting money.

Super is only beneficial to cars that have their timing and other bits and pieces set up to run on a higher octane fuel i.e. some of the more high end jap cars, some Porsches, some newer AMG MB's etc etc...

It may be beneficial to use something like V power once in a while as these contain cleaning additives that help keep things in top form... Or you could just use a traditional fuel additive.

Hi,
Have look on the inside of your fuel filler cap there is a green sticker it written there, my 97 C230K says it should run on super unleaded i suspect yours will be the same.

i would expect you can run it on it and it will run better, we used shell optimax deisel, or basically a better deisel not sure on the name may of even been from bp actually... regardless, the S320 cdi ran alot better on it with more response.

There's a sticker in mine which says 97/99 RON. So I always use Shell V+ whatever its called.

Not all super unleaded is as super as others

I just discovered at the weekend that the octane in super unleaded is not always the same. Tescos super is 99, but Esso is 97.

Does anybody know the octane in other Supers?

I've always thought that use the Super in 1 of every 4 fillups, keeps a nice balance of higher additives

I've always thought that use the Super in 1 of every 4 fillups, keeps a nice balance of higher additives
+1,thats what i always do,my cls 500 is mapped to run on normal(95ron)unleaded so using a higher octane(super unleaded)fuel is only any good for it's cleaning properties,only worth using super in amg's imho.

If you have money to burn, use Super. It comes with a built-in placebo effect which convinces you your car is running far better than ever before!

C36 was tuned to run on 97/99 RON fuel. The odd fill up with 95 RON wont do it too much harm if it's not driven like you've stolen it.
A few other models were evidently also tuned to run on 97/99 RON from the factory.
IIRC when I was based in Germany briefly you could buy 102 RON fuel..

RON 95 List of Car Model Can & Can't Use

Check out the small print under the Merc section.

Also a test here on Optimax inc an SLK AMG:

http://www.autoweb.co.uk/article/631

Last edited:
i always used super on my old c36, it ran much better on 97/99 ron, ran very rough on normal unleaded.

Do your arguments apply to diesel fuel? I always use Shell VPower diesel because it is supposed to be cleaner and better for the engine, and give slightly improved mpg. Am I wasting my time = and money???

deisel is a completely different ball game mate... what your talking abt the different additives etc.. not octain level. different discussion altogether!

Used to run my C36 on Optimax and it was better than normal but the difference was small. On my Audi TT though the difference was quite a lot more, especially the MPG.

deisel is a completely different ball game mate... what your talking abt the different additives etc.. not octain level. different discussion altogether!

tks, but do you have any views on the merits of using ordinary diesel or Vpower types??

tks, but do you have any views on the merits of using ordinary diesel or Vpower types??

V-Power diesel is actually GTL fuel - converted from natural gas - which makes it ultra clean, and so dramtically reduces emissions.

It also has a slightly higher calorfic value and H/C content, but whether this actually translates into improved performance is debatable.

The big push from a performance point of view is that the detergents will make sure the fuel system is free of deposits which can affect efficiency.

Unfortunately it's not like petrol, where the higher octane rating enables the ECU to adjust the timing to actually produce more power.

I use exclusively V-Power fuel - unleaded in my C32 and diesel in Mrs D's ML270 - but neither car actually requires it.

The Shell station I use most often is several pennies cheaper per litre than other stations close by, I get 4p per litre rebate from Shell as a member of the V-Power Club, I get bonus rebates if I exceed a threshold number of litres in a month, and I get bonus points if make other non-Shell purchases using the V-Power Club card.

It might be a touch more economical relative to standard fuel too, so together that lot pretty much offsets the 7/8p premium for V-Power.

I don't notice any improvement in performance, smoothness or economy, so no placebo affect, just a simple "might as well have 'the best'" given the premium is offset.

Never noticed any differance when i tried it in my AMG's...

however my F355 is noteably different on the seldom occasions i have been unable to find a Shell garage.:rolleyes:

tempremantal and huffy just like most high maintanance italian mistress i suppose....ooops can i say that without being sacked:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom