C43 (W202) Boot lock replacement??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
I have recently begun work on my new project, namely a 1999 C43. A common issue (apart from the paint on all the rust :p) is the seizure of the boot lock when trying to operate it using the 'blade' section of the key.
Followed some excellent guides on here and the other side, eventually managed to get the blade in.....and then snapped it!
Removed the lock assembly and eventually managed to remove the snapped blade and discovered the barrel is seized solid. No amount of penetrating fluid or lubricant is going to free it up.
My questions are:
1) Best place to get a replacement blade
2) Can I get a replacement barrel to use with the existing key or is it a whole lock set change??

I now know I can buy just the replacement blade from multiple outlets, BUT to save me having more than one key for the car (which I do not want) does anyone know if it is possible to buy the barrel to fit the key?

You can buy a barrel and rearrange the levers inside the lock barrel so as the can fit your existing key blade.
How much of the lock have you dismantled?

Dec

Thanks Dec, the whole thing is in bits (followed one of your guides), the barrel has been completely removed!
I take it I should be able to buy the barrel form MB then? Or buy a (non seized) used one and rearrange the levers on that?

Get a used one, or free up what you have, dealer may only sell a complete lock to work with your existing key blade.

Got a picture of the barell?

Dec

1st one shows it before it got cleaned up

Attachments

• IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 12
That's fixable, whack each lever with a screwdriver, that will soon shift them.
Be sure to whack them on the narrow end, the only come out one way, like with the spring side.

The five levers on the top are the same as the five on the bottom, 5 pairs of twins.

M.jpg

attachment.php

Dec

Just a thought, is there still a piece of the key blade inside that barrel?

Dec

Thanks Dec, you are a star, I will try that tomorrow. I have removed the key blade fully, although looking at the position of the levers it would seem not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom