C55 alloy refurb & finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
Rear tyres are gone, so if I can afford it, a good time to get the pair of alloys refurbed for the first time!

Reading through past threads, I see lots of recommendations for places a very long way away from me! :( Anyone have any recommendations for NW London (Middlesex/Hillingdon area)??

Finally, what finish should these alloys have? Mine were painted when I picked up the car (not a professional job by the look of the finish, but not too bad either). Since SWMBO seems to rather like kerbs, I don't want some delicate laquer type finish like my ST220 had!

I'd go to Lepsons. But thats in Bristol. But there are many good tyre fitters and detailers who will send the wheels to Lepsons for you, and i wonder whether giving Lepsons a call will result in a recommendation to a local firm that will handle that for you ?

There are lots of different finishes on the different Merc AMG alloys, some are all painted, some are diamond finished in parts and then laquered.

Richard

Powder coating will give a more durable finish than wet painting. The Wheel Medics did our 19" TT alloys recently and are local to you. Would highly recommend them. I have PM'd some details of who to contact there.

Last edited:
I'd go to Lepsons. But thats in Bristol. But there are many good tyre fitters and detailers who will send the wheels to Lepsons for you, and i wonder whether giving Lepsons a call will result in a recommendation to a local firm that will handle that for you ?

Richard

There's a Lepsons in Swindon, and another in Gillingham, Kent. They've done three sets for me, can't fault them

@npuk - I know you said the website's a bit crap, but still .. alarm bells ring when I only see a mobile number and no premises listed. How many times have you used them? Anyone else on the board had any experiences?

Go to BJV , they are in Herts , Nr the M40 , they will collect from you for £20 is you are within 40 miles of them.

Done a lot of wheels for me and other members. Cheap too , don't pay through the nose for refurbs !

BJV Engineering - Alloy Wheel Refurbishing

Ahh .. just past Amersham. Have heard them mentioned before .. for some reason I thought they were in Kent! :)

Go to BJV , they are in Herts , Nr the M40 , they will collect from you for £20 is you are within 40 miles of them.

Done a lot of wheels for me and other members. Cheap too , don't pay through the nose for refurbs !

BJV Engineering - Alloy Wheel Refurbishing

Howard, have you done Diamond Cut wheels with them, do you have any pics you could share of past results? This finish is the achilles heel of wheel finishes on refurb and new from what I've learnt. You might have seen my other thread where dealer has replaced my 19" AMG's, running refurb set for winter now.
Thanks,
Kamal

I have done diamond cut finishes with them , but only the lips.

My wifes Brabus wheels have a diamond cut lip , and the AMG's on my car have a diamond cut lip.

I don't have any close up photos though i'm afraid.

As with most wheel refurbishers , they won't guarantee the lacquered diamond cut lip for very long. I had my wheels refurbed 3 years ago now , and the lips have gone milky , the powder coated faces are still perfect though.

The trouble is that the lacquer doesn't bond to the aluminium cut face without etch primer , which of course you don't want or it would obscure the finish.

BJV have examples of some of the wheels they have done on their site. The 5 spoke AMG is my one.

Howard said:
I have done diamond cut finishes with them , but only the lips.

My wifes Brabus wheels have a diamond cut lip , and the AMG's on my car have a diamond cut lip.

I don't have any close up photos though i'm afraid.

As with most wheel refurbishers , they won't guarantee the lacquered diamond cut lip for very long. I had my wheels refurbed 3 years ago now , and the lips have gone milky , the powder coated faces are still perfect though.

The trouble is that the lacquer doesn't bond to the aluminium cut face without etch primer , which of course you don't want or it would obscure the finish.

BJV have examples of some of the wheels they have done on their site. The 5 spoke AMG is my one.

Yep, what you describe is what I found on my research of this topic too. Can't remember the company but there is one that does that offers a 12 month warranty. Interestingly, a new diamond cut wheel from MB comes with a 2 year warranty. Thanks.

QQ again on this .. the "standard finish" for powder coat that they all seem to offer - is this the original look for the C55 alloys? They are certainly not diamond cut, just painted, but I'm worried if I get just two done that they'll look a different colour to the other pair!

Got BJV to do them recently. Good job - a *tiny* defect on the paint on one of them, but only visible while polishing! Not a "TLC" type place if you're looking to just hand over the keys, but a great price if you don't mind jacking up the car and giving them a wheel at a time!

Pleased you're pleased Alan ..

I must say when i was driving up , i thought ' am i in the right place ? ' :crazy:

Lol, yeah .. I looked at the road on Google Maps street view first, which was just as well recently! A sign-post would be nice, but it seems to be a thriving little "industrial estate"!

Some fun roads around there too, especially on the way up with bald rears .. I laid some serious rubber for about 75m! Not so much fun under 50mph with a skinny little space saver on one corner though. Or when being a lot more sensible with brand new rubber on! ;o)

I think the three units are all theirs . One is a dipping unit , one is a blasting unit and one is final finish ?

Did you deal with Lyndsey ?

Yeah, for the billing and running through the order. Several of the guys helped out on different days with getting the wheels on and off.

The final day was nice and sunny - beautiful place for a stroll along the Chess Valley with the kids!

Ha .. well, will try this weekend if it doesn't lash rain for 48 hours again! ;o)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom