C63, air conditioning, codenser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mounty3279

Car
C220, replaced by a C63 W204
Hi,
Has anybody had trouble with their air conditioning condenser on there C63?
Is it common for them to fail? I have taken my car in today, my air conditioning light is blinking and have been told it is my condensing unit has failed. I asked if they had pressure tested it or vacuum checked it and was told it was not possible without removing it. When I have looked at it it is pratically impossible for it to get damaged through the grill and it shows no signs of damage at all.
Has anybody replaced one and if so does the bumper have to be removed?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have had mine fail recently after 2 1/2 years but luckily it was under warranty.
I was told it was leaking at first and just needed a new seal. Then to be told that didn't work and I needed a new unit. Not sure if the bumper was removed as the dealer just sorted it. How common a problem it is i'm not sure tbh.

Surely a pressure test on the whole system would identify whether there was a leak? I am sure I have read that there is a type of pressure test(using a dye?) which identifies what component is leaking. Or are the garage suggesting that the condenser has failed in some other way rather than a leak? Don't know definitely but I suspect bumper removal is required but no doubt someone on here has done it and can provide better info.

Had this exact problem about a year ago.
Apparently the condenser was not externally damaged (eg stone chip) but had become "permeable" and slowly seeping the gas out.
Was replaced under warranty as a "manufacturing fault".
I believe they did take the bumper off to get at things.

Just been on Wheeler Dealers Maserati episode . Its a dye injected in the system and using a black light to identify where the leak is.

Mine was replaced too just before the warranty ran out.

Thanks for your replies they're really helpful.
My car is still under warranty but my local dealer has told me to take it back to where I bought it from so I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.

You don't have to take it back from where you bought it.
Any MB dealer should look at the car under warranty. :confused:
Unless it was a specific aftermarket warranty provided from that dealer?

Had the same issue in SLK55 and it was replaced under warranty when car was almost 3 years old. No external damage. Didn't realise it's such a popular fault.

You don't have to take it back from where you bought it.
Any MB dealer should look at the car under warranty. :confused:
Unless it was a specific aftermarket warranty provided from that dealer?
It is a two year mercedes warranty five monghs in......
I'll keep you posted.

My ac bottom flashing red today,was quess just needed re gas?......?

My ac bottom flashing red today,was quess just needed re gas?......?

If you are lucky. That's how mine started.
I'm hoping now a revised part has been fitted as I don't want this to occur again out of warranty and be left with a huge bill.

Had the same issue in SLK55 and it was replaced under warranty when car was almost 3 years old. No external damage. Didn't realise it's such a popular fault.

To add some commercial input into this - I've just had the Condenser in my SLK55 replaced due to a leak caused by stone damage. Started leaking green Alien Blood on the garage floor and as damage was external, no warranty option available. About £1300 to fit the replacement. Ouch.

That's expensive. I had no visible leak, just lost air in the system and vents hissed.

I have been quoted £1143 but as I say my car is under warranty. The story is ongoing and I will post to let you know how i've got on and what the outcome is. Only to say that dealing with the dealer I bought the car off and my local dealer is like night and day. They are two different francise's.
Thanks for everybodys posts the information is invaluable.

Just had my SLK 55 serviced and told them the aircon is not blowing cold.
They recharged it 7 months ago and it is the same again now.
When picking the car up they said it is stone damage so £900+ please...!
I said show me the damage to which the mechanic said he couldn't see the damage but could see the test dye had leaked all over the front of it.
Said I would get back to them.
My thoughts now are that if they cant show me the stone damage then it may well be a faulty unit which is less than 3 years old and should be replaced under warranty.
What do you think guys?
Should I insist on it under warranty.
Let me know your thoughts.
Regards
Rob.

njkmr said:
Just had my SLK 55 serviced and told them the aircon is not blowing cold. They recharged it 7 months ago and it is the same again now. When picking the car up they said it is stone damage so £900+ please...! I said show me the damage to which the mechanic said he couldn't see the damage but could see the test dye had leaked all over the front of it. Said I would get back to them. My thoughts now are that if they cant show me the stone damage then it may well be a faulty unit which is less than 3 years old and should be replaced under warranty. What do you think guys? Should I insist on it under warranty. Let me know your thoughts. Regards Rob.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom