C63 buying guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nabster323

Car
W204 C63 AMG
Hello everyone, I know that you probably have this a lot but I'm a prospective c63 owner and want to know a little bit more about the general ownership and some of the scary problems I've read about from people that live with the car day to day.

Currently I have a 2016 civic type r but have always loved the c63. So I've started reading into ownership woes and do's and don'ts.

From what I can tell, there were cam and head bolt issues on pre 2011 models so they should be avoided. If the car has had the bolts replaced I assume that's not an issue. With the cam issue, is there a way to rectify that?

There are some nice c63s before 2011 that obviously offer a great saving but I am willing to spend the money if it's safer to buy the post 2011 car.

Currently it looks like a decent 63 would be about 25k with around 70k on the clock.

If you wouldn't mind it would also be nice to know what mpg you get, servicing intervals, tyre wear and other gotchas when viewing a car. And extended warranties etc.

My type r eats Michelin pilot sport 3s and i average between 20 to 30 on commutes to work. So I'm already used to poor mpg!

Thanks in advanced,

Nabster

Just ask for the engine number, anything ending lower than 60658 had the bolts that could fail before Mercedes used different stronger bolts

Just ask for the engine number, anything ending lower than 60658 had the bolts that could fail before Mercedes used different stronger bolts

Thank you very much, this is extremely useful!

With the cam issue, is that a certain engine number range too?

Thank you wemorgan for that link, it really helps too :)

Also, what's the general miles for the clutch and cambelt etc to be changed and what have people actually had them completed at? And at what cost roughly. Thank you again.

Nabster

AFAIK they're all automatics with timing chains.

+1. No manual C63's nor timing belts. They use a duplex chain and are 7 speed autos..

That's interesting about the chain, so to my knowledge chains can go on a lot longer wothout the need for a change?

It's a shame they are all autos but I wasn't surprised when I started looking into them, especially with who their target audience are!

^ There should be no need to change the chain during the life of the engine.
If you haven't driven an auto you are in for a treat. I'll never go back to a manual out of choice again.

Mine is a 60 plate (sept 2010) and is around 1200 above the engine number issues,so i would say its mid 2010 on that is out of the head bolt issue.

Mine had a leaky cam cover on one side and the comand scroll didnt work when i bought mine,both are common issues.

I have just done around 1000 miles in mine,mostly commute but one decent run of 280 miles... Its currently averaging 19.8 mpg. I just got over 27 mpg on the long steady run...
I think both are very good considering,i used to have a V10 M5 and that was rude on fuel..

Mine is a 60 plate (sept 2010) and is around 1200 above the engine number issues,so i would say its mid 2010 on that is out of the head bolt issue.

Mine had a leaky cam cover on one side and the comand scroll didnt work when i bought mine,both are common issues.

I have just done around 1000 miles in mine,mostly commute but one decent run of 280 miles... Its currently averaging 19.8 mpg. I just got over 27 mpg on the long steady run...
I think both are very good considering,i used to have a V10 M5 and that was rude on fuel..

Thank you for your response! Were they both quite costly to fix? Is the leaky cam cover easy to spot when buying?

Thanks again.

The cam cover dropped the odd spot of oil onto the manifold,so you could smell it rather than see it. Was no big problem,£85 to sort it.

The comand module was £189+ Vat and an hours labour.

I find that Mercedes prices seem fairly cheap in comparison to BMW's.

It's a shame they are all autos but I wasn't surprised when I started looking into them, especially with who their target audience are!

I don't have a C63 but the 7 G-Tronic on my W211 is a joy, I too will never go back to manual.

G/Box oil and filter changes are ESSENTIAL on the regular E211's its every 36,000 miles, think the AMG are the same but sure somebody will correct if I'm wrong. Also believe rear axle oil changes are important on the AMGs, especially if it has a LSD.

Post 2008 service histories are on line an the g/box and rear axle oil changes are include in the report.

Hope you find a nice example, keep us posted.

Thanks for all of the responses so far, it's definitely given me what I feel is a recipe for a safer car to invest in! The one last question I have really - has anyone on here had one past the 100k mark and did it produce any scary issues? It's likely that during my ownership I might surpass it. Most cars I've looked at have between 40-65k on the clock.

David404 - I will keep you posted, you might not believe it but two that I enquired about over the last two days have both gone... Crazy!

I am looking forward to it though!

I have a m156 engined car that's ticked over 100k, it's perfect.

So - the good news is I've found one, sorted numbers and should pickup Friday following a successful test drive! It's black and is totally standard, the way it should be!

It's had new brakes all around, new tyres, fresh MOT and comes with an MB extended warranty. I will post pictures of the pickup all going well.

Thanks very much for the advice. It's had one head fixed under warranty (meaning that one side had the bolts done too) so I would think it's fairly risk free :)

It was done under warranty and as the other side was ok at that time I presume that's why. I guess there will be documentation for it? Something to be concerned about do you think?

The good news is I've picked her up and all is good... so far! No hand book though, did any other is see have that issue? Cheers, nabster

Congratulations! Stick up pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom