C63 Edition 125 impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi,

I see lots of C63s around these days and they look great in my opinion. In addition there seem to be a lot doing track days and the owners seem impressed with them. I have a few questions?

1. Is the Edition 125 worth it? I have seen mixed opinions.
2. How does the PP edition drive - I have heard that these can be a harsh ride on UK roads?
3. How does the "old" 6.2 engine compare to the newer engine in the C-class?

Prices seem to be coming down - so I may be tempted to try one. I am always interested in current owners views as part of the research process!

thanks in advance.

DB1

Hi
1 - not sure mine is not a 125

2 - pp suspension is quite harsh yes - get a ppplus car 10 reg onwards

3 - same engine

cheers

thanks - have they not updated the engine as per the other AMG cars?

Nope the newer 5.5 twin turbo will not fit in the c class engine bay.

OK - I am just trying to work out what has changed recently or whether I am missing out on something important by looking at slightly older cars....

The 125 edition is a major facelift compared to the older models new dash led lights etc etc ..................

facelift cars also have the AMG MCT dual clutch transmission

Ok..now that is probably worth having....anyone know how it compares to M-DCT in an M3?

Ok..now that is probably worth having....anyone know how it compares to M-DCT in an M3?

AMG MCT is still a 7G auto, without a torque converter, it uses a wet clutch to launch. IT is not a DSG box.

The M3 DCT is a much better faster unit. More responsive as I've test driven both cars. MB gearbox is not as quick on upshift or downshift, don't get me wrong it is good but just not as fast and involving as the M3's.

seems as if this is one of the negatives of the AMG range compared to M-series. I assume the e63 vs new M5 would have the same comparison. Interesting then, how the E63 was rated as better than the new M5. I would think that the transmission would form a big part of any comparison, so everything else in the e63 must be substantially better!

seems as if this is one of the negatives of the AMG range compared to M-series. I assume the e63 vs new M5 would have the same comparison. Interesting then, how the E63 was rated as better than the new M5. I would think that the transmission would form a big part of any comparison, so everything else in the e63 must be substantially better!

E63 is rated better as it is more dynamic than the M5, basically smaller, lighter and more agile.

The latest copy of Evo landed on my door mat yesterday, having a quick thumb through it this morning there's a 4 way group test in there where the M5 and E63 are amongst the comparators. Think the M5 wins, but I'll have to check.

To be fair, if I was dropping £50-60,000 down on a car that is going to loose £30,000 over the next two and half years I would probably take the time out and test them, see which one I preferred rather than some stranger on tinternet or a magasine who have put them all round a track for a day.

Just a thought? ;)

I agree - and of course if I get to that stage I will be testing lots of them. However in my experience you get a lot of interesting facts from current owners that you may either not pick up or focus on during a test.

I know, I was sort saying it with tongue firmly in cheek.

We tested a new F11 touring to replace the old mans 730d sport with, had it for 24 hours and he liked it, a lot. So much so he bought one.
However it was only after 2 weeks or so that he realised that it did everything very well but didn't excite in any way what so ever. So he sold it after 10 weeks and bought something else.

I have told a few people about this and they have dismissed it, saying they have loved it on the test drive, however 3 of them have now told me that I was right, it is dull and they do regret going for it, one has already got rid of his.

Yup, I have previously kept cars for 10+ years so getting it right now is critical!

Agree on your other point, I have a 5-series touring with M-sport suspension - 5 series is great but suspension was too hard for our roads and with runflats very expensive.

Interesting that. Beemer destroys the Merc in a straightline. Normally it's the Merc wins in a straighline and Beemer in the bends.

Merc need to pull their finger out!

Out of my test drives of the C63 and M3, the M3 was just the better car from a driver involvment point of view, it felt so much more sharper and responsive. Just how it should be. The C63 sounded better and interior looked better, but out of the two I think I would get the M3.

Having said that the new M3 should be available next year given the new 3 series is available now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom