C63 Rear Tyres...after 4k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grum71

Car
Mercedes W204 C63 Estate/Nissan GTR/M3 Touring (joined the fleet)
So, I've had the C63 estate (W204) since March of this year. Rear tyres had around 4mm of tread when I bought the car. 1500 miles later I had shredded the inside of them and so, replaced with like for like Conti's (standard 255/30/19) size.
I noticed last week the car was 'skitting' at parking speeds (akin to a 4 wheel drive car pushing the car forwards, not sideways). I had the front checked - all clear. The rear tyres however...down to the legal limit (1.6mm) on both corners. They have managed a shade under 4000 miles. This is causing the car to skip rather than turn nicely and is the source of the issue (cheaper fix!)
I wouldnt' mind if I tracked the car or had a very heavy right foot but...4000 miles? Really?

Gonna change them for [slightly wider] Michelin pilot sport 4S (265/30/19) and see how they match up.

Whats your average mileage to a set of rears?

Perhaps the alignment is out.

had all that checked - always do with new tyres. Tyres have worn evenly to be fair...just disappointing with the mileage

Its a 450+BHP RWD car with an engine that sounds like the orchestra of the Gods have been playing down the exhausts.

The contis are known for being a softer compound buddy

W/S204 C63's are hard on rear tyres due to the fairly extreme amount of toe that MB specify to improve high-speed stability. Were they MO-spec Conti's or the regular variety?

had all that checked - always do with new tyres. Tyres have worn evenly to be fair...just disappointing with the mileage

Was that a full 4wheel alignment or just tracking?

They do eat rear tyres. My C63 was doing 5-6k on rears.

Car had 4 wheel alignment when rears were fitted. They were pretty well in the parameters. Just checked my records and it looks like nearer 5k miles so, judging by the majority it's not too shabby (unlike the tyres ). My old S4 estate managed 8k on tyres so expected similar. Truth be told, the car is great so, the 5k tyre wear has been fun!
Thoughts on increased tyre size?
Michelin rubber being installed next so will update with wear and grip once bedded in.

My S500 did around 6k on rears.

It’s the price you pay for higher than normal BHP and torque.

W204 C63 does wear out rear tyres real quick...

Having said that, mine lasted 8K miles.... (i don't drive them hard enough... i know....)

From my current experience, Michelin's will wear far better than Contis. My rears are 12000 miles old and still have 3-4mm on them, by contrast the Contis on my old R172 SLK55AMG the rears only used to last 6-7000 miles and it's a less powerful lighter car.

RR

Yokohama advan have been advised. Not great reviews on blackcircle. Gonna try the Michelins. Judging by current standards, if I don't like them, they'll be gone in 5000 miles

Yokohama advan have been advised. Not great reviews on blackcircle. Gonna try the Michelins. Judging by current standards, if I don't like them, they'll be gone in 5000 miles
Advised by who?

Also, are your current tyres MO spec?

Whichever brand you go for, do go for MO (Mercedes) spec. I thought it it marketing nonsense until I saw cutaways of the same tyre produced for different tyre motor manufacturers, and they're designed and made differently to deal with "traits" such as this.

Has any one tried vredsteins,before any one shoots me down in flames.
I had these on a rs4 and they where awesome,4wd I know but the Audi boys swear buy them.

So, I've had the C63 estate (W204) since March of this year. Rear tyres had around 4mm of tread when I bought the car. 1500 miles later I had shredded the inside of them and so, replaced with like for like Conti's (standard 255/30/19) size.
I noticed last week the car was 'skitting' at parking speeds (akin to a 4 wheel drive car pushing the car forwards, not sideways). I had the front checked - all clear. The rear tyres however...down to the legal limit (1.6mm) on both corners. They have managed a shade under 4000 miles. This is causing the car to skip rather than turn nicely and is the source of the issue (cheaper fix!)
I wouldnt' mind if I tracked the car or had a very heavy right foot but...4000 miles? Really?

Gonna change them for [slightly wider] Michelin pilot sport 4S (265/30/19) and see how they match up.

Whats your average mileage to a set of rears?

My Conti 5's (front and rear) lasted about 5K miles - though to be fair they went from 'good' to 'destroyed' after a single track day. I assume they must be a fairly soft compound but I would have hoped to get about 8-10K after normal usage.

I run Pirelli on the rear of my W204 estate and as it's my wife's daily driver we did 10k on the rears before replacing. This is on 18" wheels though if that makes a difference

Has any one tried vredsteins,before any one shoots me down in flames.
I had these on a rs4 and they where awesome,4wd I know but the Audi boys swear buy them.
Not sure on summers but I’ve had their winters on previous 212’s and I rate them highly

After reading lots of reviews on different site and forums plus experience with my Michelin PSS, I'll be going Michelin P4S in the New Year M01 or not.......

RR

I did 19K miles on original 18" Contis and as far as I'm aware, they were on the car at first MOT at 21K miles. Mostly motorway/A/B roads driving, no city driving. Recently read a lot of tyres reviews and a lot of people commented of very quick wear of Contis. I have 21" Contis on another car and they looked quite bad after 2000 miles from new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom