C63 Rear Tyres...after 4k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has any one tried any of the other offerings ??
Yoko/toyo/uniroyal/Dunlop ect

Last edited:
You should have tried the Goodyear F1 As3s. You get very close to the dry grip of the MPSS tyres, but a lot better wet weather performance. Just where you need it the most. It does help to calm down the rear end compared to the contis. They are quite wide for their stated sizes too. Quieter and a noticeably better ride than the contis too.

Looking forward to trying the 4 S tyres, hopefully they will move the game on.l

That’s a good shout I might try these next I used to run eagle f1 on a 500hp Subaru and the grip in the wet was amazing.

I tried toyo years ago on an Impreza STI. They were terrible.
Yokohama were ok, but again, quite some time ago.
I had vredestein ultrac sessantaon the Subaru many times, and found them fantastic.

yes see,I had them on the rs4,wear well and where awesome.The thing is in price ...they are up there with the goodyears ect now.

I was never sure how much difference there would be until I was shown for myself when I asked the question at the Pirelli Performance Centre in Burton upon Trent. The guy there wasn't only able to tell ,e, he could show me able to show me!
It’s funny that we’ve been round this “it’s all a con, there’s no difference / yes there is, the construction is different” discussion many times on this form and, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, some still insist that there’s no difference between MO and standard spec tyres [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have tried the Goodyear F1 As3s. You get very close to the dry grip of the MPSS tyres, but a lot better wet weather performance.
+1 for the F1 As3’s.

I’m running them on my E63 and have found them excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the Goodyears on a B6 S4 Avant. Nice grip and well suited to the car. Lasted 8000 miles which, when linked to the confidence they offered I was quite impressed. Saying this, they wouldn't be my 1st choice. The more miles they completed the more rapid they declined with offering feedback.
I fitted Vredestein ultrac to my old C350 diesel. They did not inspire confidence and wanted them changed within a few hundred miles. They did last well though (unfortunately)
I do appreciate the MO tryes are branded as this for a reason but, when you're limited to just 1 tyre (on Camskill.com anyway) that I have already tried and tested (more than once), different options have to be explored. If they don't match up to expectations, put it down to experience and return to MO recommended.

I wonder then if the mpss that I used that weren’t mo spec explains why the inside edge got destroyed. Alignment was fine.

I shredded the inside of conti 5's (MO spec) so, no don't think so

I shredded the inside of conti 5's (MO spec) so, no don't think so
Lol so must be just normal then my conti 5 didn’t last long enough to shred inside hahaha

Plus one for Pirelli.
I've always preferred them on my bikes, not for the ultimate grip levels but for the feeling you get back from the road.
IMO they are much easier to predict at the limit.
I've just fitted 4 to my W204 and there is just so much more feel for what is going on underneath than the previous Contis ever had.
Cheaper too :thumb:

The Pirelli's always seem to get a bad review on here but I've found them to be very predictable and wear okay. Some of that might be down to the diff I accept but I honestly can't find anything 'terrible' about them?

The Pirelli's always seem to get a bad review on here but I've found them to be very predictable and wear okay. Some of that might be down to the diff I accept but I honestly can't find anything 'terrible' about them?
Pirelli use the same Pzero brand to cover a broad range of tyres across many years of production - they don't use a number to denote version/iteration/generation, so in one fitment/application they could be just rereleased and class leading, but in another fitment they could be old-tech and back of the class.

Pirelli use the same Pzero brand to cover a broad range of tyres across many years of production - they don't use a number to denote version/iteration/generation, so in one fitment/application they could be just rereleased and class leading, but in another fitment they could be old-tech and back of the class.
I've never understood why Pirelli do this, and having been bitten by rubbish performance in cold & wet conditions by more than one set of P Zero's once they are down to 5mm of tread, I'm not prepared to play Russian Roulette with another set. I will say that in all other conditions, and when new, their performance is fine but I use my E63 as a daily driver all year round and consider them a liability in conditions that the Conti 5P and Eagle F1 As3's handle with ease.

Currently running Michelin PSS on the rears, when new and in the dry a fantastic tyre, more recently in this cold and damp weather not so good, but no worse than the Contis I had on previously. A few weeks ago I fitted Pilot 4S’s on the front (replaced PSS) and will do likewise on the rears soon.

I think it’s fair to say that any AMG struggles in the wet, cold and damp conditions regardless of tyre brand, hence I try and base my choice (70/30) on dry weather performance......for those rare days when it’s dry lol

With regard to wear rate then I don’t think it’s massively different from tyre to tyre regardless of material softness, I think driving style affects wear more, especially on the AMG models.

Another item mentioned was inner tyre wear, this is a fact based on the geometry set up in on almost all AMG cars, you can have a good 4-5mm in the middle to outer tyre, but the inner tyre edge can be down to the wire!

Jules.

My C63 is my year-round daily too.
I don't think any non-winter tyres are great in the cold and wet once they get a bit worn.
My worst experiences of this across several cars and a couple of bikes have been with Contis.
I'll let you know how the Pirellis get on.

I don't think any non-winter tyres are great in the cold and wet once they get a bit worn.
On a more modestly powered car this is less of an issue, but I agree entirely that once you're talking about 450+ bhp high performance, relatively heavy, RWD saloon cars, the choices that the tyre manufacturers make to give top levels of grip and an acceptable rate of wear in warmer conditions mean that the tyre performance drops off significantly when it gets cold and wet. My experience on E63's is that of the MO-spec tyres, Pirelli is hands down the worst in that respect with the Conti 5P's still maintaining reasonable levels of grip. I would say that the Eagle F1 As3's are at least the equal of the 5P's when part worn and it's cold and wet with regards to grip, and they're significantly quieter too.

Anyway, last weekend I mounted my winter set of Michelin PA4's which should pretty much guarantee a heatwave over the next month or so, so it's all a bit academic... :rolleyes:

Well said! I think Kiran was using Mich Pilot Super Sports (if I read his comments correctly.... unless he's changed since)..... I have those on my Ultima and I'm not really a fan, the sidewalls seem quite soft and under high speed cornering, the car feels a little unstable, like it's dropping into a yaw moment. Not sure if the 4S sidewall is stronger? Certainly I think the C63 needs more rubber on the road and a more aggressive (grippier) compound, hence my plans to move to 265 wide 4S tyres...

This is the same reason I took the PSS off the c63. It felt awful and not stable because the sidewalls are way too soft. The c63 need stiff sidewalls and anyone that thinks pss handle good is/has not driven the car properly.

Also Yoko make MO spec tyres as they came on my c63 when I bought it from new, I thought they were actually quite good but didnt last long so switched to contis and they are fine and last a little longer.

The tyres dont last long on these cars anyway, you do realise this car runs alot more camber than most cars, so of course you are going to limit the tyre life especially on the inside edges.

Last edited:
Anyway, last weekend I mounted my winter set of Michelin PA4's which should pretty much guarantee a heatwave over the next month or so, so it's all a bit academic... :rolleyes:

How are you finding the PA4's, I've replaced my MPSS with them for the winter and whilst rear grip has certainly improved I'm finding that I'm a bit unsure of the front end. Turn in and front end grip is just not as inspiring wet or dry.

Just on the discussion on Pirelli PZero's the guys on the Porsche boards hate them too, especially as there's little choice in 20" N0 tyres for 911/Caysters. Porsche also state N0 rated tyres must be used to keep up the warranty which I find is bizarre too and exacerbates the issue too. Goodyears always get good reviews over there too.

RR

How are you finding the PA4's, I've replaced my MPSS with them for the winter and whilst rear grip has certainly improved I'm finding that I'm a bit unsure of the front end. Turn in and front end grip is just not as inspiring wet or dry.
In warmer conditions - say 8c and above - they definitely don't have the initial bite on turn in that good summer tyres do, but my experience with them (I first ran them through last winter) is that things improve as it gets colder to the point where they feel really good once you're down to around zero degrees on a crisp, dry day. In fact (and unsurprisingly), they're an almost perfect mirror of summer tyres. The only other winter tyres I've used were Conti TS830P's on my E350CDI and they exhibited a similar trait, but the PA4's seem to have more grip than the TS830P's in pretty much all circumstances.

I ran PZeros on my Ultima for a little while... they were so useless, I ditched all 4 within a few mths! I wouldn’t try them again, that’s for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom