C63 rough gear change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moosey

Car
Iridium C63PPP saloon
Hi all,
I've done a search on here and only found something relating to a CLK with a 7G-tronic box.
I wondered if anyone else had experienced similar in a C63 (W204/2011)

My car is exhibiting a very rough shift from 4th down to 3rd.
When I say rough I mean it bangs in with a very noticeable lurch .

This is happening only in Manual mode and only shifting down from 4th to 3rd.
It doesn't matter if the gearbox oil is up to temp or not, it's the same.
Trying to blip the throttle while pulling the paddle doesn't make any difference either.

It had B2 service last year including the oil and filter change.
It just had an A service and I highlighted the issue to the dealer. They performed an adaption and asked me to see if it made any difference. It didn't (at least to this particular issue).

The car is going back in on the 19th to have the cam tensioner job done under warranty so if anyone has had previous with this, I'd appreciate the info as I'd like to get this sorted at the same time if possible.

Many thanks.

Once mine got hot (after a few sessions on a track day), the 3rd to 4th gearchange upshift was absolutely brutal. I presumed it was because I had just spanked it too hard.

S

Once mine got hot (after a few sessions on a track day), the 3rd to 4th gearchange upshift was absolutely brutal. I presumed it was because I had just spanked it too hard.

S

Well I can't say I've tracked it and it's never been spanked that hard in my 1.5 years with it.

I am sure there is some sort of soft reset you can do.....ignition key in certain position and then foot flat to floor with accelerator.

Never tried it myself but remember reading it on a thread one time.......weather it works or not is another thing though.

Copied from another post.

1. Ignition in position II (ie engine not running)
2. Hold your foot to the floor on the accelerator for 10 seconds
3. Leave your foot on the accelerator and switch on the ignition
4. Remove the key and wait 2 minutes

Yeah, that's the adaption. Already been done.

When you say the dealer "performed an adaption", do you mean that they re-adapted the transmission for you on Xentry? This usually takes up to two hours and involves two people going out in the car with a machine plugged into it, though the car shouldn't need this unless it's had major work done to it. Also, according to my transmission people, re-adapting only happens in S mode, not M.

Did it do the same before the fluid change? If not, and it were mine, I'd be asking them to check for any pending fault codes and double check the fluid levels.

When you say the dealer "performed an adaption", do you mean that they re-adapted the transmission for you on Xentry? This usually takes up to two hours and involves two people going out in the car with a machine plugged into it, though the car shouldn't need this unless it's had major work done to it. Also, according to my transmission people, re-adapting only happens in S mode, not M.

Did it do the same before the fluid change? If not, and it were mine, I'd be asking them to check for any pending fault codes and double check the fluid levels.

Good info. Thanks. Yes it did the same before the fluid change but nothing like as bad.

Yes the dealer did the adaption during the service. They said they couldn't replicate the fault afterwards but I'm betting it's because they weren't listening to me and that it only happens in Man mode.

I will ask them to look for fault codes as you suggest when it goes back in on the 19th.

Sounds like solenoids in the valvebody need to be replaced. Ask me how I know....

Have a chat with Paul @ Eurocharged Watford. He'll be able to get your tranny on STAR to check for fluid pressure at various parts in the system to verify what the issue could be.

I have mine done last Nov/Dec and now it's nice n smooth. The crux for me was that in comfort mode and Sport mode, when it would downshift (at slow traffic speeds too) to 2nd or 1st, it would be horribly jerky and made me think, no...this isn't how a Mercedes should feel out of the box. Turns out I was right.

However, the downshift into 2nd and/or 1st when in manual is pretty appalling still, but I'm told that it's a characteristic of the transmission setting. Meh...I can live with that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom