C63 W204 Loose Wheel Bolts - Clicking Sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

356speedster

Car
Mercedes Benz AMG C63S Coupe
I've recently had some unusual clicking noises from the front of the car, once it's warm, while cornering. It was driving me mad trying to work it out, until last night when I thought to check the wheel bolts....

The car was serviced by MB World last month and since then the wheels haven't been touched. I went around all the bolts and found half of them needed a tweak - they weren't loose, but needed a nip up.

Driving the car today, all is quet again, so it seems like slightly under-tight wheel bolts were the culprit of the clicking noises. Has anyone else experienced this, is it a common issue? I'll be keeping an eye on it, either way. Cheers folks!

Whist appreciating your frustration/annoyance, it may not necessarily be the dealership at fault as they tend not to remove wheels on routine servicing. I agree that wheel bolts should be checked as a matter of courtesy though this tends not to happen so worth keeping an eye on them.

On my new one they're hidden under a plastic hub cap (library picture below) which comes with an adapter to release it but no wheel brace for releasing it or checking the bolts. How the average person is supposed to check them I've no idea, but I've found it's worth doing every once in a while just for my own peace of mind.

Wheel.jpg

Yes Optimus! I posted for multiple reasons: one to get an idea whether wheel bolts coming loose is a common issue on these cars and two, to help others!

I spent a week searching the web & forums for any ideas what could be causing the strange "clicking" sounds, only to find a myriad of suggestions (steering racks, suspension, ARBs, etc), but no one pointing to slightly undertight (but still obviously tight!) wheel bolts. Since tightenting them up, the noise has not re-occured in 80 miles driven, so I'm confident that was the issue / fix. I hope this helps others searching the net, on what could be a quick fix / not so obvious check!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom