C63S Break in - Is it necessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAMG

Car
C63s Coupe
Picking up my C6S Coupe in a few weeks, and I really want to throw it straight into Sport Plus and have fun. Is it necessary to have to break this car in or is this just a myth?

If so, what are your recommendations and best practices? After how many miles can I initiate launch control etc?

Cheers!

Picking up my C6S Coupe in a few weeks, and I really want to throw it straight into Sport Plus and have fun. Is it necessary to have to break this car in or is this just a myth?

If so, what are your recommendations and best practices? After how many miles can I initiate launch control etc?

Cheers!

I thought this thread was about a theft doh

As for your question.. no idea... hope someone else can help

Probably not a myth, if it didn't matter the manufacturer would not bother to tell us otherwise.

If you don't use the car much then the 1,000 miles running in period would be a frustratingly long time to be sensible, not exceeding 87mph is almost impossible. Sticking to max 4500 rpm for short bursts is probably sensible (and also very fast in term of mph I have been told!)

As for launch control, I personally would not bother with it on the public roads but on a private track it will be fun to try.

From the online manual
In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a certain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full system effectiveness is not reached until the end of this teach-in process.
Brake pads/linings and discs that either are new or have been replaced achieve optimum braking effect only after several hundred kilometres of driving. Compensate for the reduced braking effect by applying greater force to the brake pedal.

Additional notes on running in Mercedes-AMG vehicles:

• Do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h for the first 1500 km.
  • Allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm only briefly.
  • Drive the vehicle mainly in drive program C for the first 1500 km.

Cheers!

I am doing this with a C63s at the moment ,I've asked around and the consensus is that it's definitely necessary. 1500 miles (after MB change the dif oil ) and launch control in good to go !

It says that you need to use C and not go over 4500 revs ( but use
The full rage of revs ) and touch on 4500 rpm briefly

Trust me if your at 4500 rpm in comfort your shifting.

I've go 950 miles to go - enjoy it - it's part of owning a proper motor !!

Cheers!

It's printed on a sticker on your windscreen. Just be patient and stick to it. You'll need the interim diff oil change at the end of the running in period anyway

The run in period is more for the transmission than the engine and AMG can access all the data to tell if you've carried it out properly should you have an issue. It's your car and it'll likely make not a jot of difference, but there is always that risk. 960 miles or whatever 1500km works out at can be covered quickly.

It's printed on a sticker on your windscreen. Just be patient and stick to it. You'll need the interim diff oil change at the end of the running in period anyway

JBD, the car service indicator does not warn about the diff oil change, is that correct behaviour?

Yeah, stick to the running in instructions....it's for the transmission as well as the engine. As said by AMG.

JBD, the car service indicator does not warn about the diff oil change, is that correct behaviour?
Correct, but your local dealer should know

Probably not a myth, if it didn't matter the manufacturer would not bother to tell us otherwise.

If you don't use the car much then the 1,000 miles running in period would be a frustratingly long time to be sensible, not exceeding 87mph is almost impossible. Sticking to max 4500 rpm for short bursts is probably sensible (and also very fast in term of mph I have been told!)

As for launch control, I personally would not bother with it on the public roads but on a private track it will be fun to try.

From the online manual
In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a certain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full system effectiveness is not reached until the end of this teach-in process.
Brake pads/linings and discs that either are new or have been replaced achieve optimum braking effect only after several hundred kilometres of driving. Compensate for the reduced braking effect by applying greater force to the brake pedal.

Additional notes on running in Mercedes-AMG vehicles:

• Do not drive at speeds above 140 km/h for the first 1500 km.
  • Allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm only briefly.
  • Drive the vehicle mainly in drive program C for the first 1500 km.

Good point and seems accurate mate

I am doing this with a C63s at the moment ,I've asked around and the consensus is that it's definitely necessary. 1500 miles (after MB change the dif oil ) and launch control in good to go !

It says that you need to use C and not go over 4500 revs ( but use
The full rage of revs ) and touch on 4500 rpm briefly

Trust me if your at 4500 rpm in comfort your shifting.

I've go 950 miles to go - enjoy it - it's part of owning a proper motor !!

It's going to kill me not using Sport Plus mode for that long :)

It's going to kill me not using Sport Plus mode for that long :)

I'm probably going to put it in Sport + from the word go and follow all the other instructions as best I can. No way am I Sedating the car in Comfort for 1000 miles, that's just ridiculous to me.

What's the big deal about sport+?. Just drive it for a bit and follow the running in instructions.

Using launch control and ragging a new AMG from the straight off the dealers lot may cause problems with the gearbox downstream. There are a lot of clutch packs in there that need to be bedded in so they grip properly and not slip. Before this bedding in is competed there will be more heat generated and excessive wear.

Its your car but I'd just follow the recommendations.

What's the big deal about sport+?. Just drive it for a bit and follow the running in instructions.

Using launch control and ragging a new AMG from the straight off the dealers lot may cause problems with the gearbox downstream. There are a lot of clutch packs in there that need to be bedded in so they grip properly and not slip. Before this bedding in is competed there will be more heat generated and excessive wear.

Its your car but I'd just follow the recommendations.

Sport + Gives the snap and crackle to the engine... Comfort is vanilla

Rag it if you want from day one...it's your car...but the brakes will glaze over and you will eventually kill yourself. Just sayin'

I guess it depends on how you own the car.
If company car or lease then crack on.

If buying with your own money then do whatever you like bit be prepared to pay in the long term.

Rag it if you want from day one...it's your car...but the brakes will glaze over and you will eventually kill yourself. Just sayin'

I'm not going to rag it, the only deviation from the breaking in instructions, will be putting it in Sport +. I will still try to keep below 4500 rpm for 1000 miles. I simply can't purchase a c63s coupe and put it in Comfort.

I'm not going to rag it, the only deviation from the breaking in instructions, will be putting it in Sport +. I will still try to keep below 4500 rpm for 1000 miles. I simply can't purchase a c63s coupe and put it in Comfort.

Grow up mate, it's just a car.

Couldn't you just wait a few days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom