C63S Break in - Is it necessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If this was the case then it wouldnt state that break in for 1000 miles was needed in the owners manual, and there would be no issues with running it flat out from day one.
But it states that you only use comfort and avoid high revs.

Engines are bench tested yes, the intial break in is carried out on an engine dyno when they test to make sure the engine is functional.
IT IS not a full break in, it equates to about 100 miles i think, but either way i'd still be taking it easy and doing as the video says.
Infact, i'll fire an email away to MB UK and see what they get say.

Oil is not changed because owners find it an inconvience, engines have evolved over the years granted and oil technology is much greater but 10-18k miles on things like 2.0 Turbo engines (Audi S1) and even the E63 with its 12k intervals, mental for a 5.5l V8 twin turbo lump that runs 100+ oil temp.
Mine gets dropped every 4000 miles or after anything that creates a long high temp situation

I hear what you are saying but if manufacturers don't break engines in, then I see two problems with this approach:

First one, if factory break-in wasn't the case, it is impossible to ensure that running in is carried out correctly. The procedure is complex enough when conducted by an engineer on the dyno, let alone by a Joe Bloggs on the road. The result is an expensive outcome in the form of a new engine that manufacturer has to cover under warranty.

And second, (typically mineral) break in oil is changed after running in as it carries metal particles and assembly lube. You don't get that when you buy your new car - it comes with fully synthetic oil ready for 10k miles. Yet one can buy break in oil from the main dealer when running in a built MB engine. The procedure is the same as with other engines - 4-5 hours dyno or road, drain when hot.

Personally, I think MB and other manufacturers are trying to minimise the risk of internals not bedding in fully, hence the 1k miles clause. But is this a break in as in proper first break in? Hell no.

I hear what you are saying but if manufacturers don't break engines in, then I see two problems with this approach:

First one, if factory break-in wasn't the case, it is impossible to ensure that running in is carried out correctly. The procedure is complex enough when conducted by an engineer on the dyno, let alone by a Joe Bloggs on the road. The result is an expensive outcome in the form of a new engine that manufacturer has to cover under warranty.

And second, (typically mineral) break in oil is changed after running in as it carries metal particles and assembly lube. You don't get that when you buy your new car - it comes with fully synthetic oil ready for 10k miles. Yet one can buy break in oil from the main dealer when running in a built MB engine. The procedure is the same as with other engines - 4-5 hours dyno or road, drain when hot.

Personally, I think MB and other manufacturers are trying to minimise the risk of internals not bedding in fully, hence the 1k miles clause. But is this a break in as in proper first break in? Hell no.

That's what your oil filter is for - they're counting on it not being significantly blocked by the wear particles. It would be interesting to open up one after the first service and compare to one from further on in the car's life.

Regards,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom