Caffeine Free?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Just curious.

It's been 9 days now since Mrs Ant and I have gone Caffine Free. No tea, coffee or even chocolate! :eek:

The reason being is we've both been totally over indulging. The kettle is always on throughout the day and even more at the weekends.

All we've been drinking is cold water (no alcahol :eek:) with some freshly squeezed lemon juice.

On the morning of day three of the detox we both had major headaches (to be expected I guess :dk:). By day 5 headaches have gone and stayed away.

Now, I'm not sure what I expected to gain from this withdrawal but neither of us seem to be feeling any benifit. Sleep hasn't improved. Don't particularly feel 'On top of the world' either.

So, what is it we've gained? Am I expecting too much too soon? Or, is it just a big waste of time? Shall I go and pop the kettle on?

TIA :thumb:

Ant.

The benefits might be slightly psychosomatic; if you believe your life is better without caffeine, maybe you will make it so.

On the upside; going cold turkey means you'll get the same enjoyment from less once your body settles down again.

I'm with PobodY in this.

I had a go at this about three years ago and felt after three months that it didn't have any effect other than to restrict my choice of drinks.

My view is that regular teas and coffees aren't really a problem unless you go OTT. I also came to the conclusion that the first coffee hit in the morning wasn't what I had thought it was either - simply having a hot drink what my system expected to kick start it - it made no difference if it was caff or decaff.

I suspect that what some people think is a caffeine hit is actually a sugar hit.

End result was that I went back to regular teas and coffeees but reduced my biscuit intake with them.

I don't have cups of tea after dinner time so from about say oneish I'm not bothered anyway.

We all need some little vice anyway and tea and coffee etc is minute in comparison to alcohol etc.

Ant, we this year did "dry January" expected to feel on top of the world and to realise how crappy we generally feel from booze, but nope. A month later, felt no healthier than we did. Obviously booze isn't good for your health especially not long term, but we had no noticeable health benefits a month on.

I've too avoided caffeine in a bid to improve my sleep. Nothing changed.

So now I indulge in both as it takes my fancy. :bannana:

Well done for giving it a go Ant :thumb:

I've never tried anything like this, but I'm surprised you're not feeling any benefit.
On the plus side, I'm sure it's done you no harm.

Everything in moderation as they say.

Jay

All sounds good to me.

I don't drink that much coffee but I've been banging back the frappe's this summer ( two a day) with 2 sugars in each. I've not touched a can of coke of chocolate in any form since the start of July!!

I bought my Boardman hybrid out to Skiathos and I've done a fair few K's on that, sometimes in some savage 7.30am heat. I'm going to leave it here until the next visit.

I suppose I could say the same about giving up smoking 25 years ago, at this moment in time I can't honestly say I feel the benefit but then perhaps I'd be a gasping wreck if I'd continued.
Thing is about food and drink fads there seems to be a 360 degree turn around at some point.
In the case of coffee I listened to a radio interview by Andrew Loog Oldham many years ago extolling the virtues of coffee being able to expel the bile in your stomach then it was bad to drink coffee so who knows.
I drink about 3 pints of organic full fat milk a day and love it and have for last 30 odd years, my father did the same and went on to 80+ as fit a fiddle.
For the last couple of years I've been putting a bottle of tap water in the fridge overnight and drinking that during the hot days but no noticeable effects.
I am still of the opinion that your mind plays as big a part of your bodily health as diet, think positively and don't stress over things may be the answer I certainly have that attitude. Some people say I have a far too laid back attitude to everything in life but I don't care.
Eat and drink to enjoy.

Caffeine has been identified as an accelerator of conditions such as Osteoporosis.

As with many things in small quantities it probably does little harm, but in excess can have real negative effects. 2 or 3 coffees a day will have a completely different effect to 6-7.

Don't drink too much fresh lemon juice or your teeth will fall out. :eek:
Yikes, point taken Peter. But I'll say nowt to Mrs Ant. She'd look mega with no teeth. :D

Ant, we this year did "dry January" expected to feel on top of the world and to realise how crappy we generally feel from booze, but nope. A month later, felt no healthier than we did. Obviously booze isn't good for your health especially not long term, but we had no noticeable health benefits a month on.

I've too avoided caffeine in a bid to improve my sleep. Nothing changed.

So now I indulge in both as it takes my fancy. :bannana:
Yeah, we do the Jan detox too Mike, but not to this extent. The poor sleeping patterns is one of the reasons we did it.

Well done for giving it a go Ant :thumb:

I've never tried anything like this, but I'm surprised you're not feeling any benefit.
On the plus side, I'm sure it's done you no harm.

Everything in moderation as they say.

Jay
Cheers Jay. I'm sure you're right. We'll give it more time and see.

think positively and don't stress over things may be the answer I certainly have that attitude. Some people say I have a far too laid back attitude to everything in life but I don't care.
Eat and drink to enjoy.
I totally get this. I'm neither stressed or worried. Never have been, laid back is the best for your health. (Hence my sig. :eek:)

Cheers everyone.

I think we're more than happy to continue. We're doing this as well as healthy eating. No goodies whatsoever (big deal for me as I have a mahooooosive sweet tooth :crazy:) & very healthy meals through the day. Friday & Saturday evenings are the worst because goodies, nibbles & a glass of wine or two alongside board games and/or a DVD played a big part of our family fun. Last weekend felt weird but that's only because we're all in the habit of pigging out.

As Dryce said, it will totally limit our choice, especially when out and about. I/we do love a nice coffee when we go out shopping or for a meal etc.

The good news is I've lost 3.2kgs in 9 days. I don't expect that to continue at that rate but even loosing 1Kg per week is in the in the right direction.

Holiday on 13th October so will continue this until then.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh also don't drink too much green tea. I was drinking about 5-6 cups a day then got the ****s big style and haven't touched it ever since.

Back to normal now thanks

I used to drink about two litres of coffee a day; my blood pressure eventually shot up, and my doctor told me to drink decaf. I still drink a couple of litres a day, but now caffeine-free. I never felt the slightest ill effects, before or after.

Better get back on the coffee Ant, in today's Daily Mail " Four coffees a day cuts risk of dying early by two thirds". :doh:

Sugar is the real problem ! Really addictive , a bit of caffeine not a problem but sugar with it that's what is bad. Couple of coffees a day good for you ! Enjoy

I drink decaff tea and coffee whenever I have either most of the time. I do not have sugar, mostly sweetener. I do however drink soft drinks with Caffeine in. I am trying to limit these however.

Caffeine can affect my hearing, otherwise I have no issues with it.

We drink Yorkshire Decaf Tea - all the flavour of 'normal' Tea, and it doesn't stew (no matter how long you leave it in the Teapot).

We also use Starbucks' Decaf Coffee Beans, plus Waitrose Decaf Coffee Beans. Both offer a full-bodied Coffee experience

I like caffeine.

I'm sure that there are other things I should be worrying about other than my choice of hot drink.

I like chips as well.

I like caffeine.

I'm sure that there are other things I should be worrying about other than my choice of hot drink.

I like chips as well.

But, do you like Armadillos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom