Caine reveals Italian Job ending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea," says Sir Michael's character, Charlie Croker... and then the credits roll.

The star says he would have saved them by "switching on the engine", burning off petrol until it righted itself.

"I crawl up, switch on the engine and stay there for four hours until all the petrol runs out," he said.

"The van bounces back up so we can all get out, but then the gold goes over."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7756288.stm

Well, I did always wonder :crazy:

Do buses run on petrol ? ;)

for those of you who saw the other italian job, why did they not link the gold in that, to this one?

Would have made more sense to me. The damn stuff was back in Italy and it could have linked the 2 films together.

I am now off to shoot tigers in Africa! Can anyone lend me a Machine Gun?

How foolish of me to have missed it previously; where's Dragon when you need him?

Well the media missed it that it's old info too ...

I was about to suggest that put you in good company. But that rather compliments them and maligns you. So I won't.

The star says he would have saved them by "switching on the engine", burning off petrol until it righted itself.

"I crawl up, switch on the engine and stay there for four hours until all the petrol runs out," he said.

"The van bounces back up so we can all get out, but then the gold goes over."

Only it wouldn't because the fuel tank is half way along the bus, not towards the rear so may actually cause the bus to get lighter at the front.....:eek:

Of course the way to have done it was for all but one person to hang off the front of the bus to weigh it down and one parson to go back and retrieve the gold one bar at a time, stacking it in the front of the bus..;)
Well, that's how we used to do it when I was a bank robber...

Last edited:
Of course the way to have done it was for all but one person to hang off the front of the bus to weigh it down and one parson to go back and retrieve the gold one bar at a time, stacking it in the front of the bus..;)
That bit always bugged me - they did a pretty lousy job of counter balancing the bus. Mind you it took them several goes to get others thing right - "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

That bit always bugged me - they did a pretty lousy job of counter balancing the bus. Mind you it took them several goes to get others thing right - "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

It's just a good job it wasn't a Hollywood film. The bus would've bobbed back onto the road and there would have been lots of cheering and a'hollerin...

Anyone got a sick bag.?

I know it's just movies. Still, it's odd that no one there understands the mass of gold: a ton is just about one cubic foot.
Still, a terrific movie. Other than the then-worthless, now-priceless cars they destroyed during it (the Miura used was already a heap).

.....one parson to go back and retrieve the gold.....

I don't remember a parson - I thought they dressed as football fans

:devil:

I know it's just movies. Still, it's odd that no one there understands the mass of gold: a ton is just about one cubic foot.

These are the same movie makers who ensure that spacecraft make noises in a vacuum, that when you look through binoculars that you will see two overlapping circular images, that 747s are used for internal flights in the US, that gunshots will occur predominately to the upper arm/shoulder and be relatively minor, knocking people on the head with a blunt instrument is usually not fatal and is guaranteed to leave them unconscious, when groups of people are rendered unconscious they will generally recover consciousness simultaneously, forensic experts are good looking and work in dimly lit offices, and that fist fights don't really hurt that much.

These are the same movie makers who ensure that spacecraft make noises in a vacuum, that when you look through binoculars that you will see two overlapping circular images, that 747s are used for internal flights in the US, that gunshots will occur predominately to the upper arm/shoulder and be relatively minor, knocking people on the head with a blunt instrument is usually not fatal and is guaranteed to leave them unconscious, when groups of people are rendered unconscious they will generally recover consciousness simultaneously, forensic experts are good looking and work in dimly lit offices, and that fist fights don't really hurt that much.

And computers all talk, have beeps and lights and develop consciousness, usually with a personality disorder.

Reality is too dull - I'm all for silly film stuff.

Ade

Amazing what you find on the world gold council website ...

http://www.gold.org/faq/answer/90/how_big_is_a_tonne_of_gold

Defiant, that surprised me actually, i had no idea it was that dense ( which is why i Googled it :eek: ) .... you learn something new every day.

Looking at the picture , there looks to be about 15-20 tons of gold on the bus.

So having drained the fuel tank how exactly do they then drive the bus any distance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom