Caliper replacement W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W202Paul

Car
W202 C180 Classic
My front OSF wheel started squealing today - its not pulling under braking, and I haven't had time to check it, but I wonder if my caliper is on the way out. If so I've read that on fitting I need new caliper bolts - is this correct and roughly how much should they cost? I've seen wildly differing prices from £14 to over £40.

My front OSF wheel started squealing today - its not pulling under braking, and I haven't had time to check it, but I wonder if my caliper is on the way out. If so I've read that on fitting I need new caliper bolts - is this correct and roughly how much should they cost? I've seen wildly differing prices from £14 to over £40.

If your talking about the bolts that hold the carrier to the hub then no. It's only because they have loctight on or some sort of thread loc. Just clean them and put on new thread loc but not a lot. It's only to stop them vibrating loose. I tend to put blue hyloma gasket seal on as does the job and acetone gets it off very easily.

If your talking about the bolts that hold the carrier to the hub then no. It's only because they have loctight on or some sort of thread loc. Just clean them and put on new thread loc but not a lot. It's only to stop them vibrating loose. I tend to put blue hyloma gasket seal on as does the job and acetone gets it off very easily.

Oh sorry it's probably squealing because pads need clean and so do pad seats on caliper! Put some copper grease on runners and pad mating faces or anti squeal paste.

The squealing is when I'm driving, the sound disappears when I brake, so I'm presuming the brakes are starting to bind?

As I suspected my nsf caliper is seizing, the inside pad is nearly down to the metal. This caliper is actually a replacement fitted some years ago, (the osf front is original and still fine!)

The pad wear sensor wiring looks to be fastened to the caliper by a torx bolt. Am I correct and does anyone know the correct size? I tried unscrewing the osf front as trial run but can't shift it (after using Shock & Unlock). Does anyone have any tips for undoing these before I try the nsf?

Also is it worth trying to repair the caliper with a repair kit? I've never tried so I'm wondering if its straightforward, or should I buy another caliper?

Answered my own question after a bit of digging - the torx bolt is a T40. I'll probably just buy a reconditioned caliper as its only going to cost £30 more than a rebuild kit.

Today I changed the caliper but noticed that the bottom slider pin was seized. So it seems this was the problem rather than the caliper itself. I tried to free this off and it was rusted solid. It eventually sheared off, so I now need a left hand brake caliper carrier. This is my only transport so I'm off the road until its fixed. Does anyone know where I can source a replacement?

Merc dealer parts dept .

say 'vehicle off road' and will arrive next day from Milton Keynes into dealer,

give full VIN to dealer parts guy.

I've been thinking about my options and wondered whether if I could extract the remains of the bolt, the existing bore would be in good enough condition to just fit a new guide pin bolt?

I removed the caliper carrier and after much heat from a blowtorch and spray lubricants I managed to extract the offending bolt, so I just need a replacement which I've already ordered. MB quoted me £122 + VAT for the carrier and 5 working days delivery as it would have to come from Germany, so saved myself a lot of time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom