Calling all 55k owners - favour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lenny63

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS 55 AMG | S211 E280 Cdi Sport
Hi all
Would someone be kind enough to photograph the alternator pulley area , specifically I am wanting to see how close your IC rubber pipes are to the pulley

I installed a new alternator on mind yesterday and the IC hoses are held in with plastic brackets bolted into the rocker cover , but look awfully close to the alternator pulley

Just want to make sure I've routed them properly and they are safe :)

Much obliged

Lenny

So long the hoses are in plastic brackets *and* the plastic brackets are plugged in the metal bracket bolted to the rocker cover, you will be fine.

They are - yes - but you understand my nervousness

Probably one if these little details I didn't notice before but do now having assembled the area back together

Sorry, did not have time for pictures.

I just had a quick peek in my engine bay and the pipes run quite close to the pulley. There is approximately a 1 finger gap between the pulley and the surrounding pipes and my car is standard.

I hope this helps.

Hmmm thanks Major - that's helpful

My gap is a lot less than 1 finger

See photos

new intercooler pump - MBWorld.org Forums
Of the two pipes only one seems vulnerable to immediate damage from the belt/pulley. I can only suggest you might think of replacing/extending the rubber pipe/s with a short section/s of solid pipework perhaps st/st with suitable pipe jubilee type clips if that would afford peace of mind?

e55-1.gif

Last edited:
new intercooler pump - MBWorld.org Forums
Of the two pipes only one seems vulnerable to immediate damage from the belt/pulley. I can only suggest you might think of replacing/extending the rubber pipe/s with a short section/s of solid pipework perhaps st/st with suitable pipe jubilee type clips if that would afford peace of mind?

e55-1.gif

Good shout actually
However would rather keep as is and just ensure pipes are secure

Having taken another look at your situation where the top end of the coolant tubes are in effect fixed to the engine but the lower end are fixed to the body your main danger would be from engine movement - say from worn engine mounts. Excessive movement might then bring the alternator pulley in contact with the coolant hose to wear it through. Had everything been bolted to the engine, clearance ---altho very narrow, would have effectively been fixed.:dk:

The lower pipe in your pic does look like it's slightly kinked and not sitting square in the clip so potentially wrongly routed. Do the wear marks from the clip match?

Wasn't really wear mark's on the pipes - not that I could see

Anyone help out with a photo of their own ??

Thank you sir

I've identified the problem now thanks to yor pics - the IC pipes are running behind the thicker coolant pipe which bends underneath the alternator pulley - ive routed them in front of this coolant pipe when bolting thinfa back together (whoops)

No biggie and an easy fix - big thanks for your help !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom